collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 303813 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1575 on: July 27, 2020, 07:41:35 PM »
Hourihane is the sort of player it would be nice to bring on in the last 20 minutes when you're chasing a game because he makes free kicks and corners so much more dangerous.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1576 on: July 27, 2020, 08:20:00 PM »
Absolute model professional. Done it the hard way after Ipswich told him he wasn't good enough.

I agree that if we expect to be higher up the league next year he needs to play less, but if Burnley can turn Westwood in to a Premier League regular, there's no reason why Hourihane couldn't be too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1577 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
He's played his part in the improvement of the last few games, for sure.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1578 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:30 PM »
I agree, he's done well - I'd keep him as a squad player for next season, but he's in an area of the pitch that needs improving

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1579 on: July 27, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
Absolute model professional. Done it the hard way after Ipswich told him he wasn't good enough.

I agree that if we expect to be higher up the league next year he needs to play less, but if Burnley can turn Westwood in to a Premier League regular, there's no reason why Hourihane couldn't be too.

Agree with that. Seems a nice positive guy to have around but thought there was an air of steely determination about him in his post-match interview yesterday.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1580 on: July 27, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »
Yeah I think he’s tough as nails. I remember him being bang up for it from the Leeds game onwards last season as well.  He’s not been a consistently big part of the team since he joined but he has been important in two of the biggest periods in our recent history.

For a player who many thought looked out of his depth in the championship, who does have limited ability (and at 29 might be past his best years) the fact he’s stepped up against premier league players says so much about his attitude.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1581 on: July 27, 2020, 10:55:14 PM »
This guy is so under-appreciated. He was consistently a goal scorer and a goal provider in the championship and has popped up on a couple of occasions this season as a match-winner against Newcastle and Norwich.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1582 on: July 27, 2020, 11:15:56 PM »
Good squad player.

Hopefully wouldn't be starting as many games next year as he did this season as that would show another disappointing transfer window.

Think Hause aswell in the end started 25 league games which you'd never have predicted in August.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1583 on: July 28, 2020, 12:27:45 AM »
Has turned out to be an absolute bargain. £3m was it? Or something close.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1584 on: July 28, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »
It's a long time since we signed a player and had fans from his old clubs wondering why he was never that good for them.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1585 on: July 28, 2020, 12:38:23 AM »
Villa aren't villa with out some Irish connection right ?!
That being a quality Ireland international under rated by other clubs and media but effectively sound in their abilities and play to the strengths.
Well played Hourihane . Should have taken the direct free kick instead of Grealish v West Ham though Sunday .
He'll be bang up for those Leeds games next season too and great to see Grealish run straight to him when scored Sunday.
My thinking was he's been a captain every where he's been and would make ideal captain had we stepped down and been relegated.
I certainly think he should be kept on whatever squad upgrades we have as he can be a valuable squad member

Both him and Lansbury are 29 and both  have a year left on contract both signed at same window.
Maybe both will run the course but Hourihane maybe even deserves an extension for what he's contribution both Premier league and in championship.
Lansbury should polite go now back to forest or certainly not be afforded anything extra.
Though again would have been useful had we gone down.
Well played Conor.

Offline dave17

« Reply #1586 on: July 28, 2020, 02:53:12 AM »
Like him. Loves the club and always tried. He always has a goal or assist in him but he and jack had so many dead ball opportunities which we should have done better with post restart means he’s probably a sub next season. Or he’s moved on at a profit. He’s been a large part of the transition of the 2015/6 team to the current one who actually have some affinity to the fans. Also the five sub rule means he will always get game time

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #1587 on: July 28, 2020, 03:22:24 AM »
Great touch yesterday for that Grealish chance in the first half.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1588 on: July 28, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
I think he showed a good deal of consistency in the final games when Dean put him back in. He's never had a decent run in the side this season, but I think ultimately, Smith realised that playing Hourihane improves the attacking play, even if he delivers a few set pieces. Part of his improvement in the final games too, was in his defensive responsibilities. He's improved his concentration no end. To be fair, he had these issues in the championship and addressed them, but he had a whole new learning curve in the Prem (the whole side did effectively, and we only looked organised in the final few games really).

For me he's a good squad player. We need another first 11 player, but Hourihane is a great option to have. I think we showed more attacking intent as a whole and Dean had to be more adventurous. He had to get players closer to the striker and in the box. When we attack with more intent, you then see more of Hourihanes quality. If he gets a more consistent run in a side playing with more confidence, he'll score you 5-10 a season. As frustrating as he has been at times, I don't think we've played him enough from the start. I also think the great form of Douglas has helped Hourihane since he got back in too. If you know the guy at the base is playing well, you can focus on your own job more.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #1589 on: July 28, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »
Villa aren't villa with out some Irish connection right ?!
That being a quality Ireland international under rated by other clubs and media but effectively sound in their abilities and play to the strengths.
Well played Hourihane . Should have taken the direct free kick instead of Grealish v West Ham though Sunday .
He'll be bang up for those Leeds games next season too and great to see Grealish run straight to him when scored Sunday.
My thinking was he's been a captain every where he's been and would make ideal captain had we stepped down and been relegated.
I certainly think he should be kept on whatever squad upgrades we have as he can be a valuable squad member

Both him and Lansbury are 29 and both  have a year left on contract both signed at same window.
Maybe both will run the course but Hourihane maybe even deserves an extension for what he's contribution both Premier league and in championship.
Lansbury should polite go now back to forest or certainly not be afforded anything extra.
Though again would have been useful had we gone down.
Well played Conor.

100% agree with all of this. Like a lot of us, I’ve groaned at times over the last few years when he’s having one of those hologram games. But he is a model professional, he’s a grafter, he’s determined, he seems to love villa and for me he was a really big player in the run in. He came on against United at 0-3 and looked angry, fecked his teammates out of it and ran round like a nutter. After that he was very influential in the team. He hasn’t got the pace and is not going to be a main man every game if we progress we’ll, but he has leadership qualities that I think are important to have around over the next year or two.
And yes, jack seemed to pull rank with the free kick on Sunday and that was a mistake I thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal