collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 04:17:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 04:17:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:16:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:15:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 04:15:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:14:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:12:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 04:12:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102566 times)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
Thank you, Sir Graham Taylor.
Such sad news, today.  What a loss.
I've been reading and listening to players' tributes and quite a few from sports journalists, as well, since I heard, this afternoon. I really liked him during his first stint at Villa, which was so exciting.

Since then he's always come over as a man who loved football, an absolute gentleman and someone who wore his expertise lightly whenever he was interviewed or was commentating on the game.  My impressions have been confirmed by people on here.  A real legend.
RIP.

Offline MillerBall

« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »
Very sad news. Sir Graham Taylor made a huge contribution to Aston Villa. He had the ability to make a very hard hitting point in a polite manner. In the Telegraph in October 2003 (10th on the website) he neatly dissected Alpay Ozalan in a curteously surgical process that left no doubt in the readers mind about some of the practices adopted by players.
RIP Graham.and thanks for rebuilding the club.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
Sid's piece in The Guardian is a heartfelt tribute:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/12/graham-taylor-gordon-cowans

Thanks for pointing us to this, Yossarian. And well done, Gordon - well said.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
I read this on a TMS tribute to Graham (he liked his cricket), "One of the kindest and more genuine men I ever knew. During his time at Villa my daughter was recieving treatment at Birmingham Childrens Hospital, for a brain tumour. Graham got to hear about her and fior the year that she fought the illness, he took Charlotte under his wing and kept in constant contact, inviting her to the ground on several occasion. When she passed away aged only 9 Graham came to Northampton for the funeral despite being right in the middle pf a hectic run of games towards the end of the season and never once did he seek any publicity from the situation. A great football man, who loved all sport, but above all else, a wonderful man who had time for all."

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
A story I would like to tell regarding Sir Graham comes from a friend of mine who was involved with non league Halesowen Town. During Graham's time in charge he made the decision to sign Yeltz player Dean Spink. Graham himself did the deal and met with the Halesowen folk to negotiate a deal. At the time I believe transfers fees for players in non league were minimal but the money Halesowen got for Spink by comparison would go a long way to improving The Grove. Not only did Graham do what was a fair deal for Villa but he ensured the deal worked for Halesowen. There was no "We're Aston Villa", he was (typical of the man) honest, genuine and mindful of how the deal could help Halesowen's infrastructure. By all accounts after the deal was agreed, Graham also made a promise to send the strongest team possible to The Grove for a testimonial for two Yeltz players. As is his word a full team was sent to Halesowen with a bumper crowd to help the club and the players.

There are some pictures and comments about Graham here...

http://www.yeltz.co.uk/0/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3210&start=10

Graham Taylor is a true football man and Villa legend, he turned Villa around with great integrity, honesty and decency. RIP Graham - and thank you.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:29:33 PM by PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2017, 09:27:10 PM »
I sincerely hope they hold a silence rather than an applause at saturdays game.
For me, it is more powerful, poignant and dignified.

Absolutely.

Followed by a game long "Graham Taylor's Claret 'n'Blue Army" in tribute ala Everton 1990.

Offline Dave Wall

« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
I sent  a letter the the club in 88 when i was around 14 telling them about my school project about the Villa. A few weeks later a nice big package arrived with a signed personal letter from Graham himself I was well chuffed I've never forgotten that. R.I.P Sir Graham the nicest man in football.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »
A legend at Scunthorpe
A legend at Lincoln
A legend at Watford
A legend at The Villa

Is there anyone in the football world like SGT?

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
A sad day. One of the most honest, hard working, kind and genuine people to have been involved in the game and we as a club were indeed fortunate to have him as our manager. Rest in Peace Graham Taylor for being a huge part of my Villa supporting life.

Never to be forgotten. Always remembered.

Online The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »
I read the heartfelt and moving stories from those who knew SGT well, and from those who had a fleeting acquaintance. In almost 50 years of following Villa, this is the saddest day I can remember. Too soon, too soon.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2017, 09:43:05 PM »
Had to bite my tongue today when I heard someone at work remark that "the turnip is dead".

It's not the time or place but on the plus side the said person has flagged up the fact that they are a brain dead sheep, incapable of independent thought and unworthy of any kind of acknowledgment in future. It can be trying attempting to be polite to idiots, you don't have to bother doing it now.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:45:01 PM by PeterWithe »

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
Havent a ticket for Wolves but hope we give him a good send off at VP, Im ready.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #297 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
A sign of a true legend is how fondly they are spoke of when alive. Graham Taylor was always held in the highest regard and will go down a major player in the history of our club.

I'm sure it's been said before but I dread to think what would have happened to us without his appointment in 1987.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #298 on: January 12, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
Heard some moving tributes tonight but thought there was lovely affection from Pat Murphy. The range of people pouring out their affection has been touching.

RIP to a great football manager and a great man.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #299 on: January 12, 2017, 10:03:40 PM »
I sincerely hope they hold a silence rather than an applause at saturdays game.
For me, it is more powerful, poignant and dignified.

Absolutely.

Followed by a game long "Graham Taylor's Claret 'n'Blue Army" in tribute ala Everton 1990.

I prefer the applauses. Someone can always ruin the silence, often by accident just entering the ground and not knowing what is going on. But a couple of shouts followed by a load of "shut ups" and a bit of booing is far less dignified than an entire stadium standing to applaud.

I'd also prefer singing "there's only one Graham Taylor", so Wolves fans can join in should they so choose.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal