collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Goldenballs
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:14:01 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:54:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 08:52:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102591 times)

Offline The_ads

Re: The Graham Taylor Stand
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »
Doing the rounds now that we should change the name of the North Stand to the SGT Stand.  We need to do it.

No, otherwise where does it end. He was a special man but there are so many figures the club have had in its history, and I'm not sure it would really have been Sir Graham's thing.

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
I will never forgive Ronald Koeman.
Younger fans won't remember this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPbB0n8Y4U

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:08 PM »
Doing the rounds now that we should change the name of the North Stand to the SGT Stand.  We need to do it.

No, otherwise where does it end. He was a special man but there are so many figures the club have had in its history, and I'm not sure it would really have been Sir Graham's thing.

Maybe wait and see what happens about redevelopment of the ground and reconsider it then. It would make more sense for a 'new' stand. There will have to be a Ron Saunders Stand as well.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »

Not sure that's really how I want to remember him

Offline The_ads

« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:22 PM »
Probably already been said but the man saved the greatest Aston Villa player I've ever seen from the scrap heap and for that alone he deserves all the praise in the world.

Now I'm off to blub some more over a pint - fuck this dryathon shit

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »

Sorry, you're right. But Koeman's cheating turned the press against him

I will remember SGT for Christmas 89, beating Man U Arsenal & Chelsea within a week

Online BC Villain

« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
During the obit feature on Sky Sports News, reference was made to the turnip episode. Whilst this was reasonable to refer to when outlining Graham's time as England manager it was, in my opinion, wrong to crop the name of the newspaper in question from the graphic and refer to it as just "a tabloid"

Remember everyone, Don't Buy The Sun

Sadly that vile little rag succeeded in cementing some people's opinion of Graham.  Had to bite my tongue today when I heard someone at work remark that "the turnip is dead".

Those of us who possess brain cells know what the man was all about.  A genuine, humble man who loved the game, but loved the things important to most of us - his family and those he worked with.  The compassion he showed to Paul McGrath says all we need to know about Graham Taylor.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »

Sorry, you're right. But Koeman's cheating turned the press against him

I will remember SGT for Christmas 89, beating Man U Arsenal & Chelsea within a week

My first games at VP

Offline cdward

« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2017, 09:01:38 PM »
Will always remember being at Goodison for that 3-3 game. I'm sure Graham Taylor was the first Villa manager to be given the honour of having a claret and blue army.
He must also be the only Villa manager to not get sacked by Deadly, and he came back and didn't get sacked the second time either.

He turned our great club around and brought us to the brink of winning a league title again.
Listening to him talk about the 1989-90 season, he says that the lack of goals at the back end of the season cost us the title. If only Cascarino had lived up to the expectation.

I sometimes regretted not being older when we won the league i was 12, and European Cup, when older fans would talk about trips to Europe, and "being there". But then in my late teens and early twenties we watched Villa set away records in the second division, saw proper Villa legends like McGrath, Birch and Cowans and saw some famous victories, Everton away, Spurs to go top, Swindon all thanks to SGT.

Thanks for the memories.
Graham Taylor's Claret and Blue Army

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »
During the obit feature on Sky Sports News, reference was made to the turnip episode. Whilst this was reasonable to refer to when outlining Graham's time as England manager it was, in my opinion, wrong to crop the name of the newspaper in question from the graphic and refer to it as just "a tabloid"

Remember everyone, Don't Buy The Sun

Sadly that vile little rag succeeded in cementing some people's opinion of Graham.  Had to bite my tongue today when I heard someone at work remark that "the turnip is dead".

I wouldn't have been biting my tongue.

He should have been set straight, SoccerHQ-style.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
Beating Blues 13-0 over three matches in autumn 1988 was another highlight.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2017, 09:09:07 PM »

Graham seemed very happy to have a stand named for him at Watford.

However, if this going to be done at VP it should have been done years ago

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2017, 09:11:04 PM »
I love SGT, but it's a no from me regarding naming a stand after him.

Offline shirley_villan

« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »
A Rotherham supporting mate has just posted this on Facebook:

Just got home (ironically from Watford) and seen the news about Graham Taylor, such a shame.
Back in 2012 I was given the news that the mother-in-law was on deaths door and it was time to get home. This was out in Donetsk, the next flight I could get was Donetsk to Kiev after hours later then a morning flight home from there.
In the airport bar there was afew English ready for the same flight when Graham Taylor turned up (he was doing media work out there). He was more than happy chatting to everybody, he asked where I was from, as soon as I said Rotherham he couldnt wait to talk about how good the new ground was going to be, how good it would be for the town amd how our season had been. The man still watched football at all levels even after leaving the game. Discussed plans for the tournament, I explained why I had to make an unplanned journey home and he couldn't have been nicer.

Upon landing in Kiev, waiting for luggage I received a text message just saying "too late. She's gone". I am not ashamed to say that I blubbed like a little girl. The first person to console me was Graham himself. He collected his luggage, sent the rest of the media team off to their hotels and took me to the airport bar to buy me a pint to console me. Spent an hour of his evening with me at the airport bar just to make sure I was okay until I headed to town for more drinks with the Donny Lads.
For that Ill always hold the gent in high esteem, RIP to a true gent.

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #284 on: January 12, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »
Sid's piece in The Guardian is a heartfelt tribute:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/12/graham-taylor-gordon-cowans

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal