collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ron Saunders  (Read 11047 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Ron Saunders
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 09:55:54 PM »
Plus winners against Southampton and Wolves. He only scored 4 that season but all were important.

Offline peter w

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 10:14:16 PM »
I always liked Geddis. we had one of those seasons which Leicester also enjoyed, with no injuries. When needed he was a fine foil for Withe.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
I remember not being excited as an almost 11 year old when he was appointed, but he soon proved me wrong and the football in 74/5 was excellent.

75/76 was a struggle, but 76/77 was the best football I have ever seen from a Villa team, though we only won the League Cup. I think many of us old folk will agree regarding the football in that season.

Ellis did throw a massive spanner in the works in 78/9 and would have got rid of Sir Ron if he had won.Imagine what would have happened if he had won? No league championship and the thrill of winning the league at highbury. Amazing times and we will never have a manager to compare.

I have a cabbie mate in Edinburgh and Alex Cropley is also a cabbie there and certainly does not speak highly of Sir Ron. Such a shame as he is one of my heroes, but I remember watching training at Bodymoor many times and he was not there to be liked.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 10:17:03 PM »
An inspired signing

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »
An inspired signing

Who, David Geddis?

Remember his debut with Des Bremner and Mike Pejic v Arsenal at home, him and Des were shite lol. Always remember him in the FA cup replay in 79/80 cup replay v Blackburn and he was through on goal and his bloody hamstring went lol. Did a great job in championship winning season as back up for the mighty duo up front

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
Jesus... I though something bad has happened when I saw the thread title! Anyway like some others I was underwhelmed when he came to us from man city but all I can say is thank you thank you thank you Ron.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
A legend as far as i'm concerned...Not only honours but at times some of the most exciting football i've ever seen at villa park.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »
Surely the most undervalued manager by the football public of all times   leaving the villa to one side taking Norwich to he top division. Getting to the league cup final with both Norwich and man city.   The man is an icon

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
A legend as far as i'm concerned...Not only honours but at times some of the most exciting football i've ever seen at villa park.
Another side to him that impressed me was his genuine concerns for society outside of football.  I remember in that championship winning season, when he arranged for buses to transport fans who were out of work, to BH to meet & train with the players.  Also, when at Blues, he was fairly active in anti drug campaigns that were prominent back in the early 80's.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »
Ron built two sides, not three.

His first was built by the great Vic Crowe -Ron added Instant Carrodus and sometimes Phillips and after Xmas we were more or less unstoppable.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »
The players who  have  slaughtered  him certainly did not improve themselves post-Villa.   People nationally talk about the likes  of Shankly, Busby, Mercer (we can excuse  that one), Bertie Mee and even the likes of Wilkinson etc.  Saunders was the equal if not better than all of them. 

I feel so  strongly over this great man.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
in a perfect world he would of never left us and we would of gone on to win another 4-5 league titles and 2-3 European cups, ten years later he finally hands the reigns over to sir graham and we carry on ruling the footballing world.
ah well we can dream cant we
the best manager who built the most exciting villa team I have ever seen in my lifetime

Offline ez

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
It saddens me that he walked away from the game so long ago and has had very little to say about it since.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
Well the game and the Villa  have certainly not been as good  as from the moment he  left the Villa. 

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 09:59:54 PM »
Ron built two sides, not three.

His first was built by the great Vic Crowe -Ron added Instant Carrodus and sometimes Phillips and after Xmas we were more or less unstoppable.

Not sure about that. In Crowe's last season we were pretty mediocre

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal