collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window Rumours/Suggestions/Hearsay/Heresy/Horseplay  (Read 476903 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: January Transfer Window Rumours/Suggestions/Hearsay/Heresy/Horseplay
« Reply #2010 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
Spink is saying he reckons bruce has to buy to sell but he's probably making it up

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2011 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »
well we have - three gone, wage bill trimmed and £6m in his back pocket.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2012 on: January 17, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »
Spinky would get it the wrong way round.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #2013 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
If you believe  'readastonvilla '  ( @http://readastonvilla.com/2017/01/17/will-villa-sign-bookies-odds/)  Lansbury & Hourihane are pretty much nailed down certainties .

"Steve Bruce has identified his targets – Herni Lansbury and Conor Hourihane – and the bookmakers believe that these two players are almost guaranteed to become Villa players by the end of the month; so much so, that you will be hard pushed to find one who give you odds on the pair "
They also report that , apparently,  the Meaning Evil are publishing the odds below on possible signings , most are the ' usual suspects'  and ' wish listers' , but such short odds on Alan Judge came as a bit of a surprise, he hasn't been mentioned much on these here pages but would be a step in the right direction, imho.........Godzvilla!

Odds to Join Villa
Jordan Rhodes (Middlesbrough)- 1/5
Alan Judge (Brentford) – 1/3
Stewart Downing  (Middlesbrough) – 9/1
Fabian Delph (Manchester City) -12/1
Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace) 12/1
Robbie Brady (Norwich) – 14/1
Aleksandar Mitrovic (Newcastle) – 16/1
Bakary Sako (Crystal Palace) – 16/1
Robert Snodgrass (Norwich) 25/1
Ashley Young Manchester United) -25/1
James McCarthy (Everton) – 25/1
Frank Lampard (Free agent) – 25/1

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #2014 on: January 17, 2017, 09:57:13 AM »
I'm not really Rhodes's biggest fan but his strike rate is 1 in 3 over the last two seasons, then consistently 1 in 2.

With the right service he'd score goals. Only problem is he'll never see those sort of figures here because he won't be starting much due to Kodjia.

Also, like ozz said Sako (away at afcon) or Wells instead would make way more sense.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2015 on: January 17, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »
I'm not really Rhodes's biggest fan but his strike rate is 1 in 3 over the last two seasons, then consistently 1 in 2.

With the right service he'd score goals. Only problem is he'll never see those sort of figures here because he won't be starting much due to Kodjia.

All of the above is applicable if you just change Rhodes to McCormack. So spending£10m on another version of McCormack seems frivolous when we haven't finished playing with the toy we got for our last birthday.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2016 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »
Add me to the list of people who dont see the need for Rhodes, its not that our strikers are missing chances, we just aren't creating enough. If we do McCormack will start to put them away, if we can accept the limitations in the rest of his game.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:08:25 AM by PeterWithe »

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #2017 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »

All of the above is applicable if you just change Rhodes to McCormack. So spending£10m on another version of McCormack seems frivolous when we haven't finished playing with the toy we got for our last birthday.

I agree entirely. We should be working out how to get the best out of what we already have. Our midfield has been rubbish for a good few years now.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2018 on: January 17, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »
I don't mind bringing in an extra forward. Gabby fucking Agbonlahor gets in the team. Even with Kodjia back, we are only one injury away from that wanker getting onto the pitch.

Midfield remains the priority but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for other options up front.

I'd give Rhodes a chance, his scoring record is excellent at this level. As is McCormack's, admittedly. Hopefully both could do well with a decent midfield behind them.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2019 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
If you believe  'readastonvilla '  ( @http://readastonvilla.com/2017/01/17/will-villa-sign-bookies-odds/)  Lansbury & Hourihane are pretty much nailed down certainties .

"Steve Bruce has identified his targets – Herni Lansbury and Conor Hourihane – and the bookmakers believe that these two players are almost guaranteed to become Villa players by the end of the month; so much so, that you will be hard pushed to find one who give you odds on the pair "
They also report that , apparently,  the Meaning Evil are publishing the odds below on possible signings , most are the ' usual suspects'  and ' wish listers' , but such short odds on Alan Judge came as a bit of a surprise, he hasn't been mentioned much on these here pages but would be a step in the right direction, imho.........Godzvilla!

Odds to Join Villa
Jordan Rhodes (Middlesbrough)- 1/5
Alan Judge (Brentford) – 1/3
Stewart Downing  (Middlesbrough) – 9/1
Fabian Delph (Manchester City) -12/1
Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace) 12/1
Robbie Brady (Norwich) – 14/1
Aleksandar Mitrovic (Newcastle) – 16/1
Bakary Sako (Crystal Palace) – 16/1
Robert Snodgrass (Norwich) 25/1
Ashley Young Manchester United) -25/1
James McCarthy (Everton) – 25/1
Frank Lampard (Free agent) – 25/1

out of that list, Delph would make the biggest difference to the team

The more I think about it, he is exactly what we need

Alan Judge is another "number ten", clever player but another one to swerve imo

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2020 on: January 17, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Loads of rumours of Bruce having to sell to buy now. Norwich now in for Lansbury too. So far this window is rivalling last January

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2021 on: January 17, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
Still think you could get Assombalonga & Lansbury for less than a Jordan Rhodes!  Rhodes is a poor mans Bent, give him lots of chances and he'll score without giving anything to the team play.

Assombalonga through the middle, Kodjia off the left & Adomah from the right with 3 proper & FIT midfielders behind them would do for me.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2022 on: January 17, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
I got the distinct impression that there was a sea change as January approached and that our expectations were 'being managed'.

We went from being very bullish about our transfer plans to Bruce starting to say that major surgery wasn't necessary and that we would only look to being in 2 or 3 players IF the right ones were available.

This coincided with Dr Tony's visit in December, and was quite noticeable in Bruce's pre match conferences (I thought).

Maybe its just me who thought this?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2023 on: January 17, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
Bruce said from the start that in the past we've brought for the sake of it rather than improving on what we've got. If there is a change in transfer policy, i'd guess it's come from Bruce if anybody.

Offline Pete

« Reply #2024 on: January 17, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »
Jordan Rhodes is shite.

I think his career record of better than a goal every other game contradicts this. He scored loads at Huddersfield, 36 in 40 league games in his last season, then 73 goals in three full seasons at Blackburn. Give him the ammunition and he'll certainly do a job, and at 26 should be hitting his peak. It's true though, without creating chances it's irrelevant who's up front.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal