collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396613 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)
« Reply #3645 on: March 05, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »
He failed.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3646 on: March 05, 2019, 12:29:18 AM »
If the debate is about best use of budget then why ignore the loans? Johnstone played longer for us than Terry. Snodgrass and Grabban were among our best players last season and played significantly more than Chris Samba. Takeover happens two months earlier and we sign those three on permanent deals.

Hourihane may not be the player we need but you can't ignore his goals and we will easily get back what we paid for him. No way should he be included with the rest, nor Whelan for that matter. Conveniently ignores Abraham too. Bree is rubbish but was worth a punt at his age.

His budget was also helped by getting rid of players who failed for us in two divisions, Westwood, Ayew, Gestede and Bacuna come to mind. If you are judging Bruce solely on his use of his budget, then consider the rubbish that was shipped out during his time too.

If he'd used the budget well we wouldn't be going into the first summer after he was sacked looking at a massive rebuild of 10-12 players out and 7-8 in (including hause, carroll and possibly Mings).

I honestly don't care about him anymore, I'm just glad he's gone and we have someone who's signing players with more in mind than getting to next transfer window.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3647 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »
I always found him quite likeable even in his Newton Heath and Small Heath days and he should have played for England. He was a logical choice for the job and got us to a play off final. It made sense to keep him on for the start of this season particularly after the summer of financial turmoil. The owners gave him money and a reasonable amount of time but by then we had an unbalanced squad, he had lost the plot, reverted to excuses and blaming everyone but himself and it was definitely time for him to go.

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #3648 on: March 05, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »
Always liked him as a bloke, seemed decent and was an ok manager with extenuating circumstances with us.

But dull football. He had to go when he did.

However, I think calling him a c*** was bang out of order and just not true.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3649 on: March 05, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »
Pretty annoyed how he's got the Wednesday defence tighter than a gnat's chuff immediately whereas you've been able to throw eclairs down our cave all season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3650 on: March 05, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »
Pretty annoyed how he's got the Wednesday defence tighter than a gnat's chuff immediately whereas you've been able to throw eclairs down our cave all season.

At the expense of any attacking at all.

At home, supposedly chasing the Play Offs, they played deep and narrow and without risk or attacking intent.

Offline KRS

« Reply #3651 on: March 05, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
Pretty sure he inherited a squad with actual defenders at Wednesday and didn’t have a transfer window to make any signings or send them out on loan. Their goal difference is much worse than ours due to not scoring many goals yet they are still level on points.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:14:04 PM by KRS »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3652 on: March 05, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
Come next winter It'll be "off wi me 'ead!"

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #3653 on: March 06, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »

Chatting to a Wednesday supporting mate who reckons their strikers are all broken so Bruce has gone for the hard to beat  approach. Apparently the fans understand and are patient for now. He did say the atmosphere on Monday was very quiet after the opening salvo.

He hopes they will offload their dross in the summer, avoid FFP, and bring in young and hungry players. I warned him to prepare for somewhat older signings

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3654 on: March 06, 2019, 02:20:23 PM »

Chatting to a Wednesday supporting mate who reckons their strikers are all broken so Bruce has gone for the hard to beat  approach. Apparently the fans understand and are patient for now. He did say the atmosphere on Monday was very quiet after the opening salvo.

He hopes they will offload their dross in the summer, avoid FFP, and bring in young and hungry players. I warned him to prepare for somewhat older signings

Cheers for that laugh, cheered me up no end!

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #3655 on: March 06, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »

Cheers for that laugh, cheered me up no end!

My mate sincerely believes Bruce is as good as they could have wished for and is happy.

After 16-18 years in this division and strange owners, shit teams and FFP worries, he thinks the strong and stable Bruce option is as good as it gets.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3656 on: March 06, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »

He went to Sunderland and moaned they could never accept him because he was a Newcastle fan born and bred. He came to Villa and reckoned we could never get over the fact he played for and managed Small Heath and I am sure at the first sign of unhappiness from Wednesday fans he will play the ex Sheffield United card.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3657 on: March 06, 2019, 05:14:24 PM »
Is this a good time to invest in Sheffield Fish and Chip shops.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3658 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:07 PM »

He had our defence as the third best in the division last season. Just saying ....!

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #3659 on: March 06, 2019, 07:10:06 PM »
And this season, the one which counts, it is bollocks and was left all over the shop by Bruce's utter bungling.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal