collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396591 times)

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)
« Reply #3630 on: March 04, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
As much as many of us (me included) wanted him gone, at the point of financial implosion he was the continuity we needed (and some of us begrudgingly wanted) and he stuck with us. I hope his health is good now.
Re: the breakdown theory, obviously it’s not really a medical term, but, yes lots of odd decisions/behaviour can arise out of varying mental state. As well as stubbornness.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3631 on: March 04, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »
From the accounts, it looks like he's suing the club for unfair dismissal.  Fairly standard behaviour I suppose when a manager gets the shove.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3632 on: March 04, 2019, 04:13:51 PM »
His wanton waste of money brought us to the brink of insolvency.  He only clung onto his job because the fires he fanned needed to be extinguished.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3633 on: March 04, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
Wasn't there a photo of him with a cut or something on his face and we wondered what had happened? There's your answer.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3634 on: March 04, 2019, 04:36:06 PM »
Wasn't there a photo of him with a cut or something on his face and we wondered what had happened? There's your answer.

True:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-12990619

He did say back then it having a mole removed.  That was a couple of years ago, so if looks like they've been keeping a close eye on him since as a result.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3635 on: March 04, 2019, 04:42:15 PM »

Yup, I was to mention this the other day. There was a rumour at the time Ross McCormack had given Bruce a few slaps but remember the bruising on both sides of his head being symmetric and thinking a clamp had been used. Makes sense now.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3636 on: March 04, 2019, 05:23:06 PM »
His wanton waste of money brought us to the brink of insolvency.  He only clung onto his job because the fires he fanned needed to be extinguished.

I think the previous owner also needs to take a portion of the blame for that as well.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3637 on: March 04, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »

I think the previous owner also needs to take a portion of the blame for that as well.

the previous owner and his board are 100% accountable, blaming Bruce or RDM before him for that is ridiculous

Bruce was given a budget and spent it how he deemed fit, argue on the merits of how he used that budget all you want (Hogan aside it wasnt bad imo)

That budget should have been unable to bring the club to brink of insolvency, accountability and responsibility solely for that lies with the board

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #3638 on: March 04, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »

the previous owner and his board are 100% accountable, blaming Bruce or RDM before him for that is ridiculous

Bruce was given a budget and spent it how he deemed fit, argue on the merits of how he used that budget all you want (Hogan aside it wasnt bad imo)

That budget should have been unable to bring the club to brink of insolvency, accountability and responsibility solely for that lies with the board

Nope. Because he was given a budget to spend how he saw fit that should comfortably have seen us into the Premier League and the windfall that brings. He failed.  He was partially to blame as were Xia and Wyness.

As for 'Hogan aside not bad', personally I wouldn't class Taylor, Bjarnesson, Lansbury or Nyland as particuarly great uses of resources either.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:59:21 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3639 on: March 04, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »
Problems aside and I do sympathise, he made pig's ear of the team and turned on the fans. He had to go.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3640 on: March 04, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
I think the wisdom of all this is sometimes it’s better to keep strum. Get a lot more sympathy

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #3641 on: March 04, 2019, 10:10:04 PM »

Nope. Because he was given a budget to spend how he saw fit that should comfortably have seen us into the Premier League and the windfall that brings. He failed.  He was partially to blame as were Xia and Wyness.

As for 'Hogan aside not bad', personally I wouldn't class Taylor, Bjarnesson, Lansbury or Nyland as particuarly great uses of resources either.

Or turning around Grealish's career, signing McGinn...every manager signs a turkey or two. Hogan was unforgivable, we were well and truly had there, dreadful Bruce buy.....Lansbury lazy, Nyland poor fair enough.

Again Bruce is simply not to blame for the shit or bust gamble described above. No club should ever get themselves in that situation no matter if Guardiola was the manager. It's just lazy Bruce bashing to try and attribute blame for last summer's shit show to him (last few weeks of transfer window aside that he made a mess of).

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3642 on: March 04, 2019, 10:24:16 PM »
Bruce gets what he deserves.  He came to the club having schmoozed the likes of Xia, Round and Wyness with his 'trust me, I've got four promotions' bollocks and made them believe in him, before spending shit loads on a bunch of wasters who, ultimately couldn't cut it when the going got tough at Wembley.  Far more wasted than spent wisely, remembering of course that SJM was a snip at under £3m.  Whelan, Bree, Lansbury, Taylor, Nyland are crap.  His best signings were the loans, fair play for persuading them to come to the club but he failed to complete the job.  They say that there is a very fine line between success and failure.  We can argue that it was just one game, that one at Wembley but what a time to choke?  Did any of us honestly expect a beautiful performance and to smash Fulham?  No, me neither.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #3643 on: March 04, 2019, 11:38:59 PM »

Or turning around Grealish's career, signing McGinn...every manager signs a turkey or two. Hogan was unforgivable, we were well and truly had there, dreadful Bruce buy.....Lansbury lazy, Nyland poor fair enough.

In his time here we signed 12 first team players on permanent deals.
McGinn, Terry - good signings.
AEH - did what was expected.
Bree, Hourihane - being generous jury out
Whelan, Nyland, Samba, Lansbury, Hogan, Bjarnesson, Taylor

2, arguably 3, signings widely described as successful out of 12. Not a turkey or two.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:40:39 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #3644 on: March 05, 2019, 12:20:06 AM »

In his time here we signed 12 first team players on permanent deals.
McGinn, Terry - good signings.
AEH - did what was expected.
Bree, Hourihane - being generous jury out
Whelan, Nyland, Samba, Lansbury, Hogan, Bjarnesson, Taylor

2, arguably 3, signings widely described as successful out of 12. Not a turkey or two.

If the debate is about best use of budget then why ignore the loans? Johnstone played longer for us than Terry. Snodgrass and Grabban were among our best players last season and played significantly more than Chris Samba. Takeover happens two months earlier and we sign those three on permanent deals.

Hourihane may not be the player we need but you can't ignore his goals and we will easily get back what we paid for him. No way should he be included with the rest, nor Whelan for that matter. Conveniently ignores Abraham too. Bree is rubbish but was worth a punt at his age.

His budget was also helped by getting rid of players who failed for us in two divisions, Westwood, Ayew, Gestede and Bacuna come to mind. If you are judging Bruce solely on his use of his budget, then consider the rubbish that was shipped out during his time too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal