collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396527 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #3510 on: January 03, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »
Can't we move this thread now?

Why? If people still want to talk about him, espeially when he's just agreed to take over a new club, then why shouldn't be keep a thread for him? If you don't care then just don't read it.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3511 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
I have always thought of Bruce as a decent bloke but a manager who has failed to move with the changes the game has made .I  will remember him more than anything  for the awful mess he left our goalkeeping and defence in and for paying a fortune for Hogan,who he had no idea of how to use

All true, though I'm sure Bruce would have brought Johnstone back if the takeover had happened earlier. Nyland was a big gamble that backfired massively on Bruce/Walsh, a solid experienced keeper is what we needed. Moreira is on Purslow 100%. Going after Bolasie and Abraham when our defensive options were so threadbare was eventually what finished him, again Purslow was also shown up massively there for sanctioning it.

Give Bruce free reign with a cheque book and that's when the trouble starts. He doesn't really have a strategy for putting together a cohesive team as seen in his chaotic first transfer window and again in the last few weeks of the summer. It's old school approach to bring in good players (mostly on loan) and they will figure it out, that day is gone. Hogan was his huge mistake unfortunately, managers rarely get away with a flop that bad in our division.

I doubt Sheff Wed will have much money so he might do ok there getting in lads on loan and short term deals. Decent man manager too, as seen with turning Grealish's career around. Might do similar with Onomoah for example.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #3512 on: January 03, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
I cannot how he will not be working for Sheff Wed before Feb 1st - he will be watching there games, chatting to his mates about what to do etc...(if they are to buy anyone, he will decide)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3513 on: January 03, 2019, 01:01:58 PM »
I don't buy the decent guy thing, never have, he's always been too quick to blame other people for his own failings.
Yup - that's where I am.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)
« Reply #3514 on: January 03, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »
He's always come across as a likeable enough chap to me. I didn't mind him when he was at Blues either.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3515 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
I got why we brought him in. I'm delighted he's gone. I don't wish ill on him personally as he's had plenty of that. Professionally I hope he's as colossal a failure at Sheff Wed as he was with us. He got a dream job with us and when it stopped going his way it was everyone else's fault and never, ever his.

In the end he became David O'Leary metaphorically pumping his chest and telling us to curb our expectations after we sneaked past Real Rotherham. Fuck right off.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3516 on: January 03, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
Being relegated was a collossal failure. Billy McNiell was a collossal failure.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:19:43 PM by Clampy »

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #3517 on: January 03, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »
I cannot how he will not be working for Sheff Wed before Feb 1st - he will be watching there games, chatting to his mates about what to do etc...(if they are to buy anyone, he will decide)

If it is to do with compo, then he must be breaking the terms of the contract if he communicates with his coaches?

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #3518 on: January 03, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »
Considering that we gambled everything on promotion (and would have been in a world of pain had the new owners not turned up), it's not a stretch to say that his failures at villa could have been catastrophic.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3519 on: January 03, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »

Not getting promoted across essentially two seasons despite having more resources at his disposal relative to the competition was a colossal failure.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3520 on: January 03, 2019, 01:34:04 PM »
I don’t wish him well Idont wish him anything, I just wish he had not fucked our club up.

Our club was fucked up long before Steve Bruce came along. I'm far from his biggest fan but he was a decent guy who was massively out of his depth.
Sorry I don’t buy the decent guy stuff.

Good for you.
Maybe if you dug a bit deeper you would work out why.

I don't need to. I speak as I find and having had various interactions with him (including a few occasions where my young boy wanted to meet him) I found him to be a decent bloke who made a fuss of my lad and always made time to chat to him about football, school etc.

Crap manager but a decent bloke.
Good for you.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3521 on: January 03, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
Considering that we gambled everything on promotion (and would have been in a world of pain had the new owners not turned up), it's not a stretch to say that his failures at villa could have been catastrophic.

Yep, lets not forget there were genuine concerns on here about administration and winding-up. That's not all his fault but he was part of a group that gambled everything on promotion and failed, we're pretty lucky that new owners were found so quickly or he could've been the guy who took us to our lowest point in our history, I think that's a pretty big failure.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3522 on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
hes already got Onomah , lets hope Elmo and Whelan join him.

and his son hopefully

Online Clampy

« Reply #3523 on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:22 PM »
I don’t wish him well Idont wish him anything, I just wish he had not fucked our club up.

Our club was fucked up long before Steve Bruce came along. I'm far from his biggest fan but he was a decent guy who was massively out of his depth.
Sorry I don’t buy the decent guy stuff.

Good for you.
Maybe if you dug a bit deeper you would work out why.

I don't need to. I speak as I find and having had various interactions with him (including a few occasions where my young boy wanted to meet him) I found him to be a decent bloke who made a fuss of my lad and always made time to chat to him about football, school etc.

Crap manager but a decent bloke.
Good for you.

You didn't like him, others found him a reasonable bloke. What's the problem?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3524 on: January 03, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »
I think I have mentioned this before but Bruce's playing career ended in 1995 when he joined the rags.
Before that he has all his schooling under Fergerson who was never considered a tactician but one of the last "old school" managers who relied on the hairdryer treatment as a motivator. I am not sure Bruce has ever seen any other type of football management so its not surprising he apes that what he knows to a degree. Fergie had a formula for playing and trusted his coaches to install that into the players - it was often claimed that Fergie did not attend training every day.

He is not on his own

Ince
Pallister
Hughes
Keane
Robson
Sheringham
Gary Neville
Phelan
Robbins

I am sure there are more

Have all found the modern game, and more importantly the modern footballer, to be beyond them now. The game changes and those that do not change with it get found out

Same for Mourhinio, Wenger, Alladyce etc
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:41:47 PM by Hookeysmith »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal