collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396942 times)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2970 on: February 13, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
Adomah is the only winger I have ever seen that doesn't try and beat a man.

I think the opposite, he always tries to beat them three or four times & loses it sooooo often

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2971 on: February 13, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »
I often struggle to understand Bruce's substitutions

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2972 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »
Adomah is fine for this division imo.

I'd change the formation and get him back in the team. Kodjia isn't the same when he doesn't play.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2973 on: February 13, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
Adomah is okay ish but is not aggressive enough in possession.  In one on one runs he gets jocked off the ball too easily.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2974 on: February 13, 2017, 05:51:10 PM »
I still think we cary more of a threat though, Brian, when he plays

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2975 on: February 13, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
We are top of the league I said we are top of the league!

upload facebook photos

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #2976 on: February 13, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
Bruce, like every other recent manager before him, is resorting to negative tactics to try and keep it tight and play for a point. Ironically, I think we would be better served to go at teams and get them by the throat and batter the living crap out of them. We play like a deep-lying, counter-attacking team, and a very poor one at that, and the results are clear to see. I don't want Sherwood back, but the one thing he did bring initially was to put us on the front foot. What's Keegan up to these days ?  :)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2977 on: February 13, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
Bruce, like every other recent manager before him, is resorting to negative tactics to try and keep it tight and play for a point. Ironically, I think we would be better served to go at teams and get them by the throat and batter the living crap out of them. We play like a deep-lying, counter-attacking team, and a very poor one at that, and the results are clear to see. I don't want Sherwood back, but the one thing he did bring initially was to put us on the front foot. What's Keegan up to these days ?  :)

I am not sure that is true, I think the idea of playing wing backs is that you can get more numbers forward so isn't set up to be negative. It just didn't work that well for us, I think maybe down to the players not being familiar with each other. Hope we have seen the last of it for now and that we go 4-3-3 tomorrow.

Offline Boz

« Reply #2978 on: February 13, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

I am not sure that is true, I think the idea of playing wing backs is that you can get more numbers forward so isn't set up to be negative. It just didn't work that well for us, I think maybe down to the players not being familiar with each other. Hope we have seen the last of it for now and that we go 4-3-3 tomorrow.

But Bruce's team selection on Saturday didn't play his attacking wing backs because he was being negative. We need to be more on the front foot but our players don't seem fit enough to sustain this style of football for even 45 minutes.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2979 on: February 13, 2017, 07:56:33 PM »
I agree we do look better with Adomah, Mr U, but that is the width he brings.  We looked less bad when he came on on Saturday but that was because he ran the line.  Trouble is he does not run it at sufficient pace.  He has to get the ball wide and early so he does not get bullied elbow to elbow because he never fancies it.  Wait till RHM gets the chance he deserves.  He is a pocket firecracker of a player.  He loves to mix it.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2980 on: February 13, 2017, 08:11:49 PM »
I feel a bit funny being the one saying that people are overstating the role of the formation in how we play, but aside from the individual catastrophe of Tommy Elphick - a stumble in human form - there's nothing necessarily against us playing good football in the 3-5-2 like there might be in, say, a 4-4-2. You can play flexibly or rigidly, possession or counter, whatever you want with the 3-5-2. It fills up the pitch nicely and gives midfielders options in how to move off the ball, which is what really makes the difference I think.

The problems are probably elsewhere - perhaps not being used to the formation, or indeed to each other at all (that's a lot of new faces in important positions on the pitch). Or perhaps the manager is to blame for a lack of ambition or subtlety, though that we probably won't be able to discern until the end of the season at the earliest.

Basically, I want the 3-5-2 gone too, but I can see a way in which we can play well with it - and getting rid of it won't solve all our problems either.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #2981 on: February 13, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
surely if you play 3-5-2 at home the wing backs have to be bacuna and amavi

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2982 on: February 13, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »
We are top of the league I said we are top of the league!

upload facebook photos

Well that explains why we are struggling. Only spent 12 million that's a disgrace come back Randy we need you.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #2983 on: February 13, 2017, 09:13:43 PM »
Let's be honest the reason we're shit at 3-5-2 is because invariably the ball ends up at Bakers feet and a ball playing centre back he ain't, neither is Elphick and Chester is only just this side of acceptable when it comes to distrIbution. I lost count of the times Baker hoofed it forwards on saturday to no one in particular, the useless great lummox.

Bruce needs to get back to the drawing board with this one, we haven't got the ability at the back to play this way.

The biggest thing for me is yet again our lack of competitive ball winners in the middle of the Pitch. Every time a knock down went loose, there was an Ipswich (substitute Brentford, Forest, Wolves, Preston) player winning the ball and looking forwards to play football.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #2984 on: February 13, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »
So, let's get this straight...

We are not a ball-playing Barcelona or Arsenal
We are not a crunching Stoke
We are not a team full of individuals who can make stuff happen on their own, a la ManYu
We do not have anyone (good and confident ) with scintillating pace to get in behind, like when Agbonlahor was invented after Daley and others...

Therefore, we are where we are........with a cobbled together side full of strangers who need time to work out how to play together in whatever system. He has a choices now, at least !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal