collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Re: MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:56:39 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:53 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:54:44 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Re: MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:50:34 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:49:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396646 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2850 on: February 12, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
I thought Ipswich set up so Baker had a lot of the ball and was often left with little choice but to thump it long. At times he did a lot better with the ball than we've seeen in the past, as ever it's a confidence thing.

One thing I can't see mentioned is that we didn't cause them too many problems despite them losing both their centre halves in the first half.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2851 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
Hopefully James Brittle sorry James Bree won't be as lightweight as Bennett was who seemed to miss so many games with cut knees or broken fingernails.

We need him fit as I agree even at this level Hutton is a completely mediocre player.

In fairness to the club De Laet was signed as the first choice RB so it was very unlucky to lose him for the season after he played one game.

I assume Hutton is out of contract end of season so can get shot of him.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2852 on: February 12, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
The Norwich manager lost five games on the bounce earlier this season and thereafter only one in God knows how long. 

They then had an episode of 'get your season back track week' against who I can't quite remember oh yes that would be us.  Now look at them.  As much as I hate what's happening at the minute we are just going to become the Midlands equivalent of a Cellini owned club if we keep sacking managers and expecting stability the latest buzzword.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2853 on: February 12, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »
Before this time yesterday Jurgen Klopp had taken 3 points from the previous 15 and went out of the LC Semi against lower opposition.  He must also be a 'bad manager'.

Yes I know I'm being mischievous but you can see my point. Let's judge him over time, not just the last 7/8 games.

That is a good point but Klopp has got Liverpool into a great position.

Bruce has not improved Villa one iota.  We might just as well have stuck with RDM and seen some better football to boot.

Bruce has previously succeeded with teams by getting them very workmanlike and grinding out results.  With the players at his disposal here, we don't have to go down that road-We can take games to the opposition, like Newcastle do.  Currently, the tactics are abysmal, the team is all over the shop and apart from 45 minutes at Brighton and 45 minutes against Preston, the football has been dire.

How much time do we give him?  For me it is either until the end of this season or a similar time that RDM was afforded, if we go into next season.  The money is not going to last for ever, we had 3 bites at the cherry with the parachute payments.  We've just lost the first one, so we now have 2 more seasons in which to exploit our financial advantage over our competitors.  After that, we become a Leeds or a Notts Forest.

Agree with most of that, however the parachute money is only 13 million in season 3 so it must be next season

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #2854 on: February 12, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »
Straight away if we get rid, the names Rowett, I am sure Warburton will come to the fore, the first major ability that should be looked for is a manager, prospective manager that has a proven talent for progressing players on a training pitch, teaching basics like movement, being able to make time to find a pass, playing at a speed that is faster than pedestrian, knowing a left sided midfield player is best played on the left, simple things really.
The major factor that has seen to be the major requirement for the last two is that they know the championship, well Rafa did not know the championship, the guy at Wednesday did not know the championship, Wagner did not know the championship, they should be told this season is there to get a pattern of play established, in the summer the only buying will be funded by outgoings because I still hold fears as to where the money Dr X is spending is actually coming from.
Who, well that is why Wyness and the likes of Round are employed, but for god sake think, no more TSM1, 2, Tactics Tim, Eric Black and Steve Bruce.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2855 on: February 12, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »
The Norwich manager lost five games on the bounce earlier this season and thereafter only one in God knows how long. 

They then had an episode of 'get your season back track week' against who I can't quite remember oh yes that would be us.  Now look at them.  As much as I hate what's happening at the minute we are just going to become the Midlands equivalent of a Cellini owned club if we keep sacking managers and expecting stability the latest buzzword.

Alex Neil didn't have a fraction of the budget both RDM and Bruce have been given. If he did then he would have got the boot deservedly too.

Coaching at the club is the big problem. Players seem to improve a lot after leaving us.

Ciaran Clark for one is making a mockery of our decision to get rid of him and get Elphick in or Baker back from loan.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2856 on: February 12, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »
Clark benefits from not being placed under pressure. He's still a mistake a game player given the opportunity.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2857 on: February 12, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
A decent team can carry a player or 2 as error prone as Clark as Newcastle are proving. Our problem was that our entire team was error prone.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2858 on: February 12, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »
To drag this thread back a few hours, I think the idea of him being a good or bad manager is missing the point really.  It's about beign an effective manager for the club you're at.  This is why i keep saying his record of promotions means nothing now he's here.  He has done well in the past by making teams solid at the back and sneaking a goal and his 'experience' is telling him to do the same here because it's worked for him elsewhere.  The problem is that he's ignoring the fact that all of our quality is in the other half of the pitch, buying Hourihane and Lansbury and then having them both sit deep and hold their position is a terrible decision, buying Hogan and then providing him with very little service is a terrible decision.  To  me his signings show that he can see where the problems are but his tactics show that he can't fix them.

The one that's really getting to me is the constant references to him needing time for the team to gel which just makes me want to ask what will change?  Maybe we'll look a little stronger in defence and maybe Kodjia and Hogan will start to work better together but will it make the wing backs play 20 yards further forward, will it give the midfield the freedom to get into the box?  Those things aren't signs that the team hasn't gelled, their signs that what it doing is the job Bruce is giving them.

Even if everything starts to click my worry is that any goals we score are going to be down to errors or individual brilliance rather than any set plan.  If you setup that way you're always going to face the problem that if your strikers lose some form or are unavailable you're fucked and the last 7 games are a clear sign that losing Kodjia for a few games and then him coming back in worse form than when he left has destroyed everything we have to offer in attack.  To make it worse people are starting to blame Kodjia for it.

Offline steamer

« Reply #2859 on: February 12, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
RDM was a disaster, but not the first.
I did not want Bruce and struggled to accept it.
However, if we were to fire him, Then what ?
Another out of work Manager who has failed elsewhere.
He has to have the rest of the season, (tears run down my cheeks) and the chance to get his team playing.
If the season continues as it has, then end of the year P45 for Mr Bruce.
And I guess as any good management team the back office are playing the, what if game.
If he turns things around with his new team then its Tonys decision at year end to add a couple more and give him another chance.
My opinion, has not changed, he is transitory to do a job, I can not picture him creating a dynasty.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2860 on: February 12, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
at the moment I see him as yet another footnote in our history

Online KRS

« Reply #2861 on: February 12, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
There is a certainly a strong case to roll the dice and sack Bruce particularly as he seems to be completely clueless even though he's brought in some very attack minded players yet plays them defensively and out of position. His decision making on the pitch seems to contradict the decision making off the pitch.

Perhaps the strongest argument not to sack him though is the question of who to replace him with...Rowett speaks a good game but for all the good things he did at Blose with limited resources, the performances on the pitch were apparently turgid shite to watch (which could be a symptom of the players at his disposal). Warburton and Smith are other options but I wouldn't have much confidence if either of those were appointed either.

I wasn't a Bruce fan when he came, I was impressed with the results he managed to get despite poor performances initially, but it has now all turned to shit and he genuinely appears clueless and clutching at straws. We don't have much choice to give him at least another 4 or 5 games, and hope that he can turn this shitfest around by playing a decent formation and selecting players in their correct positions...if we slip further down the table, then Dr X has a decision to make.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2862 on: February 12, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »
I can imagine the shitstorm that would erupt if we appointed a third Fukkinbluenose. What I can't imagine is what decent manager would want to be our sixth in two years.

Offline steamer

« Reply #2863 on: February 12, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »
I can imagine the shitstorm that would erupt if we appointed a third Fukkinbluenose. What I can't imagine is what decent manager would want to be our sixth in two years.
Agreed
That he why he has to see the season out.
Unless we are plummeting for relegation.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #2864 on: February 12, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
He could help himself immensely by finding a decent coaching team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal