collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 397198 times)

Online Villafirst

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2775 on: February 11, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
Still think it was a big mistake to sell Ayew. He has the ability to change a game. You need that extra quality at this level. I'll be glad when Jedi returns - we really miss him; Lansbury and Hourihane will surely benefit from his powerful presence?

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2776 on: February 11, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »
Pinning our hopes on a 32 year old whose legs have gone and cant cope with the rigours of this league just about sums it all up

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2777 on: February 11, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
Still think it was a big mistake to sell Ayew. He has the ability to change a game. You need that extra quality at this level. I'll be glad when Jedi returns - we really miss him; Lansbury and Hourihane will surely benefit from his powerful presence?

How many times did Ayew change a game though?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #2778 on: February 11, 2017, 09:21:43 PM »
I think we need to stick with Bruce. Sure this is a horrendous run and yes, it's easy to say when you're not shelling out week in week out for such 'entertainment' but I think it'd be a mistake to roll the dice again right now. And for what, Dean Smith, Gary Rowett?

I'd give him the rest of this season and the first dozen games next, then see where we're at.

We arn't going down this season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2779 on: February 11, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
I think we need to stick with Bruce. Sure this is a horrendous run and yes, it's easy to say when you're not shelling out week in week out for such 'entertainment' but I think it'd be a mistake to roll the dice again right now. And for what, Dean Smith, Gary Rowett?

I'd give him the rest of this season and the first dozen games next, then see where we're at.

Wow, we should all be eternally grateful!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2780 on: February 11, 2017, 09:45:56 PM »

Two things. If after 12 games we have 12 points next season  that would be another season in the second division and don't be so sure of us not going down this season. We have collected 1 point out of last 18 and are just 7 points  from the drop zone. Be scared very scared.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #2781 on: February 11, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »

Two things. If after 12 games we have 12 points next season  that would be another season in the second division and don't be so sure of us not going down this season. We have collected 1 point out of last 18 and are just 7 points  from the drop zone. Be scared very scared.

Ofcourse if those scenarios played out then you'd get shot now but I dont think we would be 12 points after 12 games with 7 months including per-season and another transfer window with the current management team and squad.

We are on a horrendous run granted, but I just don't see this team getting relegated. We may be poor but we're better than that........ cue sarcastic reply from Risso. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2782 on: February 11, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
We should be better than that, but we're not currently and haven't been for most of the season. I don't think we'll drop, but when after two thirds of the season only the bottom 3 have won less games and only the bottom 2 have scored less (both 1 less) then I don't think you can help looking at the bottom of the table.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:10:23 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2783 on: February 11, 2017, 10:09:45 PM »
8 points from 10 games, rdm was sacked for a better record than that.  We're 14 points away from the 50 point mark that is mentioned as the safety level. Extend this run for the rest of the season and we won't make that.

Despite all this people are still willing to give him the summer and a third of next season. I get that people want stability but is 5 at the back against a Mccarthy team the sort of performance that suggests he just needs time?

He can have a little longer but no win in the next 3 would be close to him forcing Xia to react because 10 league games without a win is relegation form by any measure.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #2784 on: February 11, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »
I would like to see him win some games if only to avoid Dr X making his third managerial appointment this season. A prospect which makes me shudder.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2785 on: February 11, 2017, 10:33:52 PM »
Clueless!
Why does a team who are unbeaten at home all season suddenly revert to 5 at the back?
Hutton and Taylor are not wing backs!
In effect because Lansbury was playing as the holding midfielder we were playing with 6 at the back. The return of Jedi will only ensure this even more if we persist with 5 at the back, because he's been playing as an extra centre half anyway. Why do we play with a holding midfielder if we've got 3 centre backs? It's a contradictory tactic and reduces our attacking intent by 1.
On 60 minutes today, Ipswich were taking a throw-in just to the left of the Villa bench. We had 9 outfield players including Kodjia in and around our 18yard box, leaving only Hogan up front. Ridiculous!!!
What were those substitutions about? Having started the game with 5 at the back we ended up with just 2 (Chester and Baker) with Adomah and Green playing wing backs (I think?!?!)  and bacuna being bacuna. This was a shambles of a formation today and only served to neutralise our attacking intent. Little wonder we lost! Incidentally when I told my wife that we played with 5 at the back today, she said "isn't that defensive?" For someone who knows little about football she hit the nail on the head!

Offline ez

« Reply #2786 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:32 PM »
I would like to see him win some games if only to avoid Dr X making his third managerial appointment this season. A prospect which makes me shudder.

Me too but if the bad run continues he's going to leave Xia with little choice. I hope he does enough to stay but he really must get off to a flyer next season.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2787 on: February 11, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
He seems to have identified the lack of mobility and tempo in midfield then bought players no better than what we already had.

Offline myf

« Reply #2788 on: February 11, 2017, 11:04:34 PM »

Me too but if the bad run continues he's going to leave Xia with little choice. I hope he does enough to stay but he really must get off to a flyer next season.

Next three weeks we have 5 games, 3 at home and an away trip to rotherham. Obviously we'll get done at Newcastle. Anything less than 7 points from this lot and he should be sacked.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2789 on: February 11, 2017, 11:08:17 PM »
I wouldn't replace him but I don't think that I could put together a good argument against someone that did. He just doesn't seem to be able to out out an energetic team who can dominate in a game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal