collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396691 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2745 on: February 11, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »
How many managers are we going to sack. I sai it then it was a mistake to get rid of Rdm at least his teams played football. Bruce got lucky to begin with was given his biggest lottery win of all time and is looking like a viv Nicholson spend spend spend. Not sure where this is taking us but definitely not back up

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2746 on: February 11, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
I said at the time bringing in Bruce would be a good decision if he got us in the promotion battle. We're getting steadily further away from that and it's becoming harder to see any reason to suggest Bruce can do anything about it.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #2747 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
Changing manager again isn't the answer and I'm saying that as someone who hates the dinosaur type football we try and play under Bruce. I'm sure he'll steady what has been a sinking ship for a while and put us on the road to recovery even if it ends up being someone else who eventually finishes the job. I never predicted anything more than mid table at the start of the season, and that's where we'll finish.
What I can't understand though is why people think Rowett should be brought in. He played boring negative football with Small Heath, grinding out results, but hardly attractive to watch. He'd be no different to what we have.

Four home games in a month but the only chance of seeing any decent football at Villa Park in February will be when Man City come in the FA Youth Cup on the 22nd. Now if you want enjoyment and entertainment from your football more than results, like I do, then get down the Villa that night and watch City's Brahim Diaz - now there's a lad who can do more with a ball than just hoof it down field.

Online Villafirst

« Reply #2748 on: February 11, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
We simply have to stick with Bruce. He was on the back foot from day one after RDM's awful start. He needs a clean slate for next season. He's got 4 teams promoted in this hard League. I still think he's the Manager to get us promoted.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #2749 on: February 11, 2017, 07:19:13 PM »
I'm starting to think we need a few years at this level to rebuild. In which we can afford to get a much more promising manager than Bruce and give him time. Bruce only works as part of a pact with the devil, quick fix strategy and he's already failed from that angle.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2750 on: February 11, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
I'm starting to think we need a few years at this level to rebuild. In which we can afford to get a much more promising manager than Bruce and give him time. Bruce only works as part of a pact with the devil, quick fix strategy and he's already failed from that angle.

A few years in this league will kill us

Online LukeJames

« Reply #2751 on: February 11, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
We simply have to stick with Bruce. He was on the back foot from day one after RDM's awful start. He needs a clean slate for next season. He's got 4 teams promoted in this hard League. I still think he's the Manager to get us promoted.
All the evidence game after game and people still come out with this?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2752 on: February 11, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »

Yep, it a few years never helps anything.  Look at Leeds, Sheff Weds etc.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #2753 on: February 11, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
Bruce isn't on the back foot, if anything he's very lucky, whatever happens this season (bar relegation) he can say not my fault etc. Promotion / play offs long gone so at the very least some kind of formation, can any one see that? Any half decent manager would not have us in this position, very very poor

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2754 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
Every one still happy with 5 3 2?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2755 on: February 11, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »

I genuinely believe that is where we are heading.

Once the parachute payments run out, there's no inherent reason why we should expect to get promoted any more than the likes of those clubs.

This is the continuation of the results of the utter neglect of the latter Lerner years. Neglect and decline, the after effects are lingering even now.

That man has ruined this club.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #2756 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
What Learner was the manager today grrrrrr

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2757 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »

Once the parachute payments run out, there's no inherent reason why we should expect to get promoted any more than the likes of those clubs.

This is the continuation of the results of the utter neglect of the latter Lerner years. Neglect and decline, the after effects are lingering even now.

it shouldn't be though, there has been enough investment and changes to arrest the terrible decline bought about by Lerner.
I think the more recent problem has been terrible managerial appointments and I am far from convinced we have got the right one now.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2758 on: February 11, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »

Scary stuff that Paulie, we have 18 months however to turn it round, Bruce, though, is not the answer. Im still not convinced Dr x is who we think he is either,
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:34:39 PM by four fornicholl »

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #2759 on: February 11, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »
I've lost the ability to imagine any new manager or player succeeding here. We turn winners into losers. Hope has pretty much been extinguished.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal