collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396688 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2475 on: February 07, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
"Even if you're the best player in the world and you're being attacked by three players, you lose the ball,": Ralf Rangnick, manager of 2nd place RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

I share his thoughts. So why don't we do it against Championship opposition? If you press the opposition, like teams do to us, then you panic and lose the ball. Brentford did exactly that to us, whilst we gave them all the time in the world.

(There's an article on the rise of "Germany's most hated club" on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38802113 - wasn't here talk one time of Red Bull being interested in us? May be wrong, or just BS)

It is a system that relies on everyone knowing their roles, working as a unit, trusting each other and requires sustained coaching to achieve. You cannot just impose it on a new midfield after a few sessions of working together.

Indeed it is, it's also a system that you can train poor quality players to perform to a decent level.  If Bruce had wanted to get us playing that way he had enough time before the window opened to get the squad he had working that way.  If you sign players and they join a squad all setup to play a certain way and where everyone knows their role it's much easier to find your own place and get up to speed.  That's the problem Villa have had for years, if we want to change style our managers think with the cheque book to buy a solution rather than put in the work in training to make their own.  Bruce is no different to the rest of the useless fuckers in that regard.

All the talk of sacking him meaning more upheaval is rubbish as well.  If it happens the interview should go as "This squad should be good enough to get out of this division so we'll let you trade 3-4 in and out but if you take the job you need to work with what you have in the main".

When you hear Steve Bruce wittering something unconvincing about giving 5-3-2 a go it's hard to have confidence that he has a set way he wants this team to play. Or that he has bought players with a defined style of play in mind.  Looks like he's been playing Championship Top Trumps and buying players just for their stats rather than where they'll fit in and play as a unit.

Absolutely agree with that last line, when McLeish signed Nzogbia it felt like it was because he'd wanted him at Blues and when he had the extra credibility he went back to get him.  This time round Bruce has said similar about Hogan and I get the feeling the Lansbury deal is down to him wanting him at Hull and going back for him now.  There's some sense in signing players you like but it doesn't feel like Bruce has really thought about why he needs them or how they fit in.
I disagree. Steve Bruce has always bought players that he thinks will fit in. Look at Lily Savage at SHA. He knew that a nasty little bastard who riles up the opposition would be what they needed and he was right. So what if he goes back to players he's tried to sign previously? That's obviously because he rates them. I'm prepared to give him chance because I think he can get us back to the Prem.  After that who knows?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:39:08 PM by The Edge »

Offline Boz

« Reply #2476 on: February 07, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »
Give him time, but that time to me would be at the end of the season if it continues as it is, lower half of the table finish, or just scrapping into the top half with the money invested, to me states 'not good enough for where we want to be" bye bye.

Totally agree, the end of season is the time for Dr X to judge.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2477 on: February 07, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »
"Even if you're the best player in the world and you're being attacked by three players, you lose the ball,": Ralf Rangnick, manager of 2nd place RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

I share his thoughts. So why don't we do it against Championship opposition? If you press the opposition, like teams do to us, then you panic and lose the ball. Brentford did exactly that to us, whilst we gave them all the time in the world.

(There's an article on the rise of "Germany's most hated club" on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38802113 - wasn't here talk one time of Red Bull being interested in us? May be wrong, or just BS)

It is a system that relies on everyone knowing their roles, working as a unit, trusting each other and requires sustained coaching to achieve. You cannot just impose it on a new midfield after a few sessions of working together.

Indeed it is, it's also a system that you can train poor quality players to perform to a decent level.  If Bruce had wanted to get us playing that way he had enough time before the window opened to get the squad he had working that way.  If you sign players and they join a squad all setup to play a certain way and where everyone knows their role it's much easier to find your own place and get up to speed.  That's the problem Villa have had for years, if we want to change style our managers think with the cheque book to buy a solution rather than put in the work in training to make their own.  Bruce is no different to the rest of the useless fuckers in that regard.

All the talk of sacking him meaning more upheaval is rubbish as well.  If it happens the interview should go as "This squad should be good enough to get out of this division so we'll let you trade 3-4 in and out but if you take the job you need to work with what you have in the main".

When you hear Steve Bruce wittering something unconvincing about giving 5-3-2 a go it's hard to have confidence that he has a set way he wants this team to play. Or that he has bought players with a defined style of play in mind.  Looks like he's been playing Championship Top Trumps and buying players just for their stats rather than where they'll fit in and play as a unit.

Absolutely agree with that last line, when McLeish signed Nzogbia it felt like it was because he'd wanted him at Blues and when he had the extra credibility he went back to get him.  This time round Bruce has said similar about Hogan and I get the feeling the Lansbury deal is down to him wanting him at Hull and going back for him now.  There's some sense in signing players you like but it doesn't feel like Bruce has really thought about why he needs them or how they fit in.
I disagree. Steve Bruce had always bought players that he thinks will fit in. Look at Lily Savage at SHA. He knew that a nasty little bastard who riles up the opposition would be what they needed and he was right. So what if he goes back to players he's tried to sign previously? That's obviously because he rates them. I'm prepared to give him chance because I think he can get us back to the Prem.  After that who knows?

ha ha, is that supposed to be a post of support for Steve Bruce

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #2478 on: February 07, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
Who should we bring in to replace him then?

Well, for a start, any of the Managers of the 13 clubs above us in the second tier of English football are currently doing a better job than he is. In all but 1 case, I'd guess for considerably lower salaries too.

Besides, I haven't suggested sacking him at this stage, and am not doing. However, the idea that there isn't a long list of potential improvements doesn't currently carry much weight.

So according to your logic Zola is doing a better job than Bruce because Blose are above Villa? In my opinion that is total bollox.

No, not Zola, but Rowett had certainly been doing impressive things before him.

The point still stands; there are plenty of other Managers in the World of Football who I would expect to achieve more than we currently are with the tolls available, who I'm sure would all jump at the chance to manage us.

However, and to clarify for the second time, I'm not suggesting that we sack Bruce at this stage. If we don't see a significant improvement by the end of the season though, I would certainly be looking down that list.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2479 on: February 07, 2017, 12:47:49 PM »
As crap as things are right now with 6 defeats from 7, Bruce has a great opportunity to turn our season around between now and the end of the season. We've all seen even if it's just for a few minutes, when we're good, we're bloody brilliant. Maybe with promotion looking extremely unlikely he'll feel the freedom to get us playing more consistently. Fail and he'll only have himself to blame but with two home games coming up, I very much doubt he will.

For all the stick he's getting, most of it deserved, it's worth remembering the players he's added and traded in January whilst spending very little. I'm more than happy with the squad and even though results have been poor, he deserves credit on that front.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #2480 on: February 07, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
If we've been "bloody brilliant" this season, then I've missed it, even if it was only for a few minutes. The best that I can remember us playing was that last 20 minutes away at Brighton, but even then I'd only stretch to a "pretty good".

As for giving him credit for the squad, despite the results...? Isn't there a point being wildly missed here...?

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2481 on: February 07, 2017, 01:03:42 PM »
If we've been "bloody brilliant" this season, then I've missed it, even if it was only for a few minutes. The best that I can remember us playing was that last 20 minutes away at Brighton, but even then I'd only stretch to a "pretty good".

There was a very decent 20 minutes in the second half against Newcastle as well.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2482 on: February 07, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
The time to review where we are, is at the end of the season. That doesn't mean if we haven't achieved our aims for the season, we look for a new manager. Provided there is progression between now and the end of the season and we are not requiring a high turnover of players again, there should be no reason why we shouldn't continue with Bruce.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2483 on: February 07, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »
Who should we bring in to replace him then?

Well, for a start, any of the Managers of the 13 clubs above us in the second tier of English football are currently doing a better job than he is. In all but 1 case, I'd guess for considerably lower salaries too.

Besides, I haven't suggested sacking him at this stage, and am not doing. However, the idea that there isn't a long list of potential improvements doesn't currently carry much weight.

So according to your logic Zola is doing a better job than Bruce because Blose are above Villa? In my opinion that is total bollox.

No, not Zola, but Rowett had certainly been doing impressive things before him.

The point still stands; there are plenty of other Managers in the World of Football who I would expect to achieve more than we currently are with the tolls available, who I'm sure would all jump at the chance to manage us.

However, and to clarify for the second time, I'm not suggesting that we sack Bruce at this stage. If we don't see a significant improvement by the end of the season though, I would certainly be looking down that list.

So are you saying Rowett then?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2484 on: February 07, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »
The time to review where we are, is at the end of the season. That doesn't mean if we haven't achieved our aims for the season, we look for a new manager. Provided there is progression between now and the end of the season and we are not requiring a high turnover of players again, there should be no reason why we shouldn't continue with Bruce.

That's more or less where I am as well. After the turmoil of the last few years, it's a logical approach.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2485 on: February 07, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »

That's more or less where I am as well. After the turmoil of the last few years, it's a logical approach.

I agree, we need stability and patience. Otherwise we will continue in this vicious circle of change for years to come. IMO, a manager needs at least 1 season to get his team performing to their full potential.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #2486 on: February 07, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
Given that this season looks like being a complete write off (or to put a positive spin on it 'transitional') then happy to give SB the next 17 games to find a system that works, to work out his best XI and most importantly to have us playing good football and winning games

If he fails to do so in that time frame then we need to write him off and get someone in who can work with most expensively ever assembled squad in The Championship. It beggars belief we are 14th in this bastard division!

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2487 on: February 07, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »
Yep, Bruce has got enough experience and credit in the bank to deserve a decent shot at it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2488 on: February 07, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
I dislike the idea that he is now going to 3 5 2 which will inevitably become 5 3 2.
Unless you have the right players this system is easily nullified.
Simply post wide midfielder or forward in the vicinity of the full back. Use the diagonal ball to exploit space behind ful back. 1 striker can occupy 3 centre halves.
Bruce uses it as another counter attacking format, sit deep, filll up the area in front of the deep lying defence and try and spring the full backs.
It's ugly.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2489 on: February 07, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »
I dislike the idea that he is now going to 3 5 2 which will inevitably become 5 3 2.
Unless you have the right players this system is easily nullified.
Simply post wide midfielder or forward in the vicinity of the full back. Use the diagonal ball to exploit space behind ful back. 1 striker can occupy 3 centre halves.
Bruce uses it as another counter attacking format, sit deep, filll up the area in front of the deep lying defence and try and spring the full backs.
It's ugly.

It can work if the 3 at the back are ball players but not with 2 of our 3.  That and the fact we don't have a 4th to replace one of the 3 when required.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal