collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396756 times)

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2400 on: February 06, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
There's no reason why we can't go on a run. Looking at our remaining fixtures, only the Barcodes, Hudders and Fulham away look like games where we might drop points, all the others are very winnable.

Not to be billy big bollocks, but all of our games should be winnable.  We've got just about the most expensively assembled squad in the division (possibly with the exception of Newcastle), a manager with lots of promotions under his belt, a supportive new owner and and a huge (for the division) following home and away.  Yet we've just been played off the park by Brentford and beaten by Forest.  We haven't played well under Bruce for more than a couple of halves of football.  We can't score away, or keep a clean sheet, so I think any talk of going on a run is hugely premature.  We SHOULD be capable of it, but we're not, and we won't.  I think we'll bumble along for the rest of the season winning maybe one game in 4, and finish lower mid table.

I think players thinking we're billy big bollocks is part of the reason we've done so bad this season (not the only reason). Turning up and thinking they're good enough to play for Aston Villa so therefore good enough to turn up and win.

Neil Taylor commented about how Villa deserve to be in the Premier League. Now, I know he has to say that to appease the fans, but maybe if more of our players didn't actually believe that, we might be doing better. We deserve to be where we are.

I just think the attitude of players goes a long way. There's a difference in having confidence you're going to win and being cocky enough to think you're going to win by just turning up.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2401 on: February 06, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »
Putting a side capable of not losing back-to-back games to Brentford and Forest (in the manner that we have done) should be an achievable 'quick fix' though.

I'm not expecting Bruce to turn us into Promotion certainties overnight, but do expect him to have enough tactical nous and motivational ability to not have to watch 73 year-old David Vaughn completely overrun our midfield.

The worrying thing for me so far is that bruce has made zero impact

fitness levels are inexcusable, he was a top defender in his day yet our defence look like they met on the pub car park ten mins before kick off

One of the more over the top things i've read on here for a while.

So how have we improved? Its not away games is it

Norwich
wolves
Cardiff
brentford
forest

Do we look better at the back?
More competitive?
fitter?
have a stable formation?
more motivated?
able to kill a game off?

Im intrigued to know what all of our improvements are and saying its too early to judge after 18 games isnt an answer

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2402 on: February 06, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
Agree.  Most of all we continue to lack discipline.  Discipline imposed by the manager and coaches and probably more important self discipline.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2403 on: February 06, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
Agree.  Most of all we continue to lack discipline.  Discipline imposed by the manager and coaches and probably more important self discipline.

I'd add we have so many (former) captains in the team but no leaders.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2404 on: February 06, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »
So what makes a good captain of a team??

May be the reason they were made Captains of their previous clubs is due to them being fans favourite player  / been at the club along time (and it is now there turn), those reasons for me don't make a good captain!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2405 on: February 06, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »
Putting a side capable of not losing back-to-back games to Brentford and Forest (in the manner that we have done) should be an achievable 'quick fix' though.

I'm not expecting Bruce to turn us into Promotion certainties overnight, but do expect him to have enough tactical nous and motivational ability to not have to watch 73 year-old David Vaughn completely overrun our midfield.

fitness levels are inexcusable, he was a top defender in his day yet our defence look like they met on the pub car park ten mins before kick off

Norwich
wolves
Cardiff
brentford
forest

More competitive?
fitter?
have a stable formation?
more motivated?
able to kill a game off?

Im intrigued to know what all of our improvements are and saying its too early to judge after 18 games isnt an answer

There was an initial impact when he first came in but it's levelled out now and away from home it's not really improved at all of late.

I wouldn't say it's too early to judge because he has fucked up a few times but I think it's only fair to see what he does now he's got his own players in but it has got to improve, of course it has.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #2406 on: February 06, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
The reason we can't go on an incredible run is because we are not good enough. Otherwise we wouldn't be where we are, scoring and winning as few as we have.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #2407 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »
So what makes a good captain of a team??

May be the reason they were made Captains of their previous clubs is due to them being fans favourite player  / been at the club along time (and it is now there turn), those reasons for me don't make a good captain!

Someone who actually gives a shit about the club and demands high standards.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #2408 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Not been really discussed but if i was going to pick fault in his work so far it would have to be substitutions. Always seem to be 10-15mins too late and rarely seems to influence the game. We have so many like for like players and several options to give teams a fresh headache we just never seem to do so. Saturday I thought Grealish was poor second half, why didnt he bring green or adomah on straight swap and try and push them back. We didnt really seem to need 3cbs for asombalonga, I would have trield to go 4-4-2 on 60mins when the inevitable seemed to be looming

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2409 on: February 06, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
He didn't buy any of the players with the idea of playing them as 5-3-2, that has come on after a major panic attack when we got completely fucking destroyed by Brentford. It's ridiculous, another manager shitting himself with no philosophy of how he wanted the team to play and signing a bunch of players then playing them in different positions.

Totally agree

he has had plenty of time to assess what we have and the new signings should have been signed with a formation in mind

then stick to that formation and actually coach the players so everyone knows their roles

3 5 2 is nonsense as elphick is shit and baker is due a boot in the face soon so then its back to another formation

bruce needs to start earning his wages and quickly

this 1000%

He is tactically no better or worse than Sherwood

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2410 on: February 06, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Just on Saturday, our approach is negative we drop deep inviting attacks and to play on the counter.
We go to 3 5 2 and drop the most suitable left back for that system and play a midfielder there.
We make no substitutes to try to change the game at 1 1 and when we do make subs too late we take off our attack,signaling to the opposition we are trying to protect a draw in a game we need to win.
The inevitable happens.
Sadly his managerial incompetance is a weekly occurrence.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2411 on: February 06, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »

Norwich
wolves
Cardiff
brentford
forest

More competitive?
fitter?
have a stable formation?
more motivated?
able to kill a game off?

There was an initial impact when he first came in but it's levelled out now and away from home it's not really improved at all of late.

I wouldn't say it's too early to judge because he has fucked up a few times but I think it's only fair to see what he does now he's got his own players in but it has got to improve, of course it has.

Bugger me i agree with you!

New players now he has got to perform

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #2412 on: February 06, 2017, 03:33:21 PM »
As individuals we are all guilty of believing that we are the greatest football tacticians and that the manager of our team whoever it has been is tactically naïve.

Steve Bruce has 4 promotions to his name. Surely you don't get 4 teams promoted by being tactically naïve. The problems we have are far greater than that. Bruce has taken steps to address what he sees are the problems within the side. Granted the initial performances since ALL the signing does not bode well but we have to give this guy some time.

I desperately want to see improvements but I also accept that it's going to take more than a few month and its certainly harder than all the wishful thinking that we are all guilty of

Offline stewartm

« Reply #2413 on: February 06, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »
Just on Saturday, our approach is negative we drop deep inviting attacks and to play on the counter.
We go to 3 5 2 and drop the most suitable left back for that system and play a midfielder there.
We make no substitutes to try to change the game at 1 1 and when we do make subs too late we take off our attack,signaling to the opposition we are trying to protect a draw in a game we need to win.
The inevitable happens.
Sadly his managerial incompetance is a weekly occurrence.
The reason we can't go on an incredible run is because we are not good enough. Otherwise we wouldn't be where we are, scoring and winning as few as we have.

Brucey needs to be given more time. I know we are struggling of late and the weekend was disappointing AND promotion looks out of reach this season but I think we need to give Bruce some time. He has shown and lot of success in this league before and can get us out.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2414 on: February 06, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
Yep. Unpalatable though it is there is no quick fix in football if you're planning for the long term. Yes Bruce could be doing more but it takes time. Can you imagine the internet reaction to scoring 1 goal in 10 games a la Big Ron in 91-92.

It hasn't taken Jaap Stam or Garry Monk very long to turn things around.  Even the likes of Wagner hasn't been in place for much more than a year.

Also, I think the internet reaction to that scenario would have been one of bewilderment in 91/91, seeing as that never happened!

Correct, it was 1 goal in 11 league games in 91/92.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal