collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396827 times)

Offline auntiesledd

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2310 on: February 05, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »
I'm fully expecting to see Gary Rowett spotted in the crowd sometime soon

Indeed, although I'd be very surprised if he'd risk his reputation by drinking from this poisoned chalice. I guess a large wad of money might just make it a little more worthwhile, mind...

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2311 on: February 05, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Trouble is as much as I rate someone like Rowett let's remember he's a counter attack manager so while our away form would improve home form would probably dip.

There is no manager out there who we could realistically attract who'd get us winning the next 12 in the row or something, anyone else would probably win one, draw one and then lose one.

Given where we are in the league now I'd say it would all be a bit pointless.

Think SB needs to be properly judged next season as disappointing as it is to see us fall away over the last 6 weeks.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2312 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
We need stability, chairman, manager and players who understand each other. Yes it's disappointing, we ain't going up this season. Use this season to bed all the new acquisitions in and become a team and look forward to next season.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2313 on: February 05, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »

Indeed, although I'd be very surprised if he'd risk his reputation by drinking from this poisoned chalice. I guess a large wad of money might just make it a little more worthwhile, mind...

Job is far too big for him at the moment. He had low expectations down the road, the pressure of working in B6 is another level completely.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2314 on: February 05, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
Bruce should take the shackles off the players and let them play more naturally. We have two of the best midfielders in the division in Hourihane and Lansbury, two of the best forwards in Kodjia and Hogan and yet we play in handcuffs. Do we play so deep because Bruce is worried about the lack of pace at the back?  Having Jedinak back might help shore things up to allow the two midfielders to get forward more. I would have thought that 352 would really suit Amavi but Bruce chose the right footed, only played once BB? Weird one that!  We have nothing to lose now, this season is a write off. Lay the foundations, have some fun, sign a keeper and centre back in the summer and, er, go again!

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #2315 on: February 05, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
Dr Tony effectively tweeted this season is WIP for next season

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2316 on: February 05, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Bruce should take the shackles off the players and let them play more naturally. We have two of the best midfielders in the division in Hourihane and Lansbury, two of the best forwards in Kodjia and Hogan and yet we play in handcuffs. Do we play so deep because Bruce is worried about the lack of pace at the back?  Having Jedinak back might help shore things up to allow the two midfielders to get forward more. I would have thought that 352 would really suit Amavi but Bruce chose the right footed, only played once BB? Weird one that!  We have nothing to lose now, this season is a write off. Lay the foundations, have some fun, sign a keeper and centre back in the summer and, er, go again!

There are alot of people on here speaking sense. You included, Newby.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2317 on: February 05, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
My concern now is that it will take a Tim Sherwood style mentality change to kick start our season. But I don't think Bruce is capable of being that way in terms of just letting the team play. We won't go down so we almost need to accept that we are building for a run at this next season.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2318 on: February 05, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
I have a theory that after how poor Amavi was for the last few games Bruce just took him out of the firing line.

The formation was right last night and there were good signs in the performance too in patches.  Stick with Bruce and keep this squad with 3 or 4 tinkering changes we will get automatic next season. I reckon a fullly fit Jedinak in the last 3 games we take 7 points too. Genuinely think we are 2 or 3 key players from being really decent. Keeper and holding midfielder to start.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2319 on: February 05, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
We are always 2 or 3 key players from being half decent. We've signed players for the best part of £70m and still can't put together a functioning side that works together as a team, lasts 90 minutes, scores some goals and doesn't gift comedy errors all the time. It's pathetic. Bruce so far has been much worse than I expected.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2320 on: February 05, 2017, 01:31:02 PM »
Since we signed Steve Bruce I have believed that we will win promotion in the medium term of 2-5 seasons. When we win promotion we will win ugly.  I can accept that.  I may well not be around to see it but my children and my grandchildren will.  It will be bump and grind all the way with Steve Bruce.  The last half dozen games have been hard to take but Steve Bruce is an old school manager who will hack a couple of wins from the bleeding carcase of the Championship and things will get better.
The big, big downer we have to prepare ourselves for is a bad start to next season.  Shit happens.  You scoop it up and  chuck it back.  We have done it before, we can do it again.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2321 on: February 05, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »
I don't know why people expected any different from a Steve Bruce team. Dour football that will never be pretty to watch. But he "knows this league" so it's ok? For me he was an uninspiring choice anyway because he is limited to this (poor) level but sacking him now would be just more unnecessary upheaval.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #2322 on: February 05, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

Job is far too big for him at the moment. He had low expectations down the road, the pressure of working in B6 is another level completely.

You could well be right. That said, I expected a manager with SB's experience and Championship record would have had a more positive impact by now - but it's beginning to look like the inherent problems that have infested the club are even beyond his ability to bring about a palpably positive change. I'd like to see him given time to turn us into a team capable of promotion, but it's all about the patience of Dr Tone in the end. He who pays the piper...

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2323 on: February 05, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
Correct Auntie.  Dr Tony is the single most important person by a million miles.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #2324 on: February 05, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
Correct Auntie.  Dr Tony is the single most important person by a million miles.

Thanks Brian, it happens occasionally.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal