collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:14:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:54 PM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396674 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2295 on: February 05, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
I think he is tactically inept, but let him see the season out and then decide. How we fare the last 17 games will dictate his future. Only 8 points above the drop is worrying

Have to agree.  I'm personally in favour of giving him to the end of the season at least, but if this continues then it might be time to look at it then.  If someone like Wagner is available at that point, then who knows?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #2296 on: February 05, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
Surely if results don't improve we would replace Bruce a few weeks before the end of the season to give any new manager games to assess the squad.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2297 on: February 05, 2017, 09:03:31 AM »
I think he is tactically inept, but let him see the season out and then decide. How we fare the last 17 games will dictate his future. Only 8 points above the drop is worrying

The tactics didn't cost us yesterday, sitting deep to deny them space to play in and then using the pace up front meant that, despite the possession stats, their keeper was far busier than ours. It was individual errors that cost us, most notably from Johnstone and Grealish, nothing else.

I am in complete agreement Chris. I don't know who Sky gave it too, but their keeper was man of the match as awarded by the locals, which tells you everything about the balance of chances.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2298 on: February 05, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
I'm fully expecting to see Gary Rowett spotted in the crowd sometime soon

Offline frank black

« Reply #2299 on: February 05, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
I like him, but got to be honest he has yet to discover his first team or a pattern of play. Initially he steadied the ship and in the last half dozen games he looked at a loss about what to do during games.

I hope he settles and we finish top 10 rather than flirting with the bottom. I wouldn't be calling for his head at this stage and I'm fed up getting my pitch fork out every few months.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2300 on: February 05, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
I can fathom the thinking that we get rid of him after 16 or 17 games.

Let's see how the team gel's and I fully expect us to have a strong finish, go into the summer and rid the squad of more rubbish and have a pop at the title.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2301 on: February 05, 2017, 09:33:28 AM »
Getting rid of Bruce NoNo.  He is the mechanic who has been commission to clean up O'Neills mess it is complecated and he needs time.  To sack him his season is lunacy

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #2302 on: February 05, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
It is pointless considering sacking Bruce before the end of the season and both he and the new players deserve a chance to get it right.  We now have 3 months whereby we will be playing for little else other than pride.  There is absolutely nothing to gain by replacing Bruce but we do stand to gain, if he gets it right in those 3 months.

I have been unimpressed with him so far.  Many of our wins have been lucky or ground out.  Only twice have we had back to back wins, whereas other teams have strung together 4,5 or even 6 wins on the trot.  Apart from Brighton, we have looked far from convincing.

If nothing changes between now and the end of the season, in Xia's shoes, I would get rid.  We cannot afford to go into next season with what we have experienced so far under Bruce.  I know it is drastic but we cannot afford to hang around in this division.  The players are in place and the team only need minor tweaking in the summer, it would not be a case of the new manager coming in and needing to rip the squad apart again.

This simply is not good enough, nor is it acceptable.  Yes, I get that it is going to take time to gel but there has been no indication in the previous 3 months that we are anywhere near  what is required, nor have we moved anywhere nearer since Bruce has arrived.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2303 on: February 05, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
It is pointless considering sacking Bruce before the end of the season and both he and the new players deserve a chance to get it right.  We now have 3 months whereby we will be playing for little else other than pride.  There is absolutely nothing to gain by replacing Bruce but we do stand to gain, if he gets it right in those 3 months.

I have been unimpressed with him so far.  Many of our wins have been lucky or ground out.  Only twice have we had back to back wins, whereas other teams have strung together 4,5 or even 6 wins on the trot.  Apart from Brighton, we have looked far from convincing.

If nothing changes between now and the end of the season, in Xia's shoes, I would get rid.  We cannot afford to go into next season with what we have experienced so far under Bruce.  I know it is drastic but we cannot afford to hang around in this division.  The players are in place and the team only need minor tweaking in the summer, it would not be a case of the new manager coming in and needing to rip the squad apart again.

This simply is not good enough, nor is it acceptable.  Yes, I get that it is going to take time to gel but there has been no indication in the previous 3 months that we are anywhere near  what is required, nor have we moved anywhere nearer since Bruce has arrived.

Excellent post and sums up my exact feelings. I've never liked Bruce as a manager. His teams play boring, archaic football. And so do we, now he's in charge. I believe he should be given to the end of the season, however. Very few teams benefit from constant upheaval, and I think any more might see us dangerously close to League One.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2304 on: February 05, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
The Doc saying his expectations were that we'd regroup this season and go up next.

Bruce is rightly going nowhere.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2305 on: February 05, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »
The Doc saying his expectations were that we'd regroup this season and go up next.

Bruce is rightly going nowhere.

I'm glad to hear that, it makes perfect sense. Sacking managers every time we have bad run of form is not going to get us anywhere. Let this group of players and manager have some time to 'gel', instead of hiring someone else and throwing another £50m at it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:15:37 AM by Clampy »

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #2306 on: February 05, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
Needs a formation and to stick with it for a few games to give it chance to develop and for the players to understand their roles. He runs the risk of doing a Sherwood and constantly rolling the dice which will lead to the same conclusion.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2307 on: February 05, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
Of the next 6 games 4 are at home and another is the, surely even for us, away banker at Rotherham. We need to build some momentum during this upcoming spell just to get some positivity going.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #2308 on: February 05, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
We've gotta go up next season and he has to be given till then. All this talk of getting rid is nonsense at the moment

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #2309 on: February 05, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
And I'm far from happy by the way

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal