collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396608 times)

Offline achilles

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #2130 on: February 01, 2017, 06:21:58 PM »
My issue with his post game comments last night was his moaning about their mental fragility. I could buy that when he first took over and had to use lots of players long used to losing. But not now.

The only player on the park last night that spent any time around our first team last season was Hutton. It doesn't explain why this new bunch dissolve like a Berocca in a pint of water at the first sign of adversity.
I sort of agree but then i would suggest that there is also an added pressure for any player coming to our club which a lot of them are not prepared for. When they're big fish in little ponds there is no pressure, all of a sudden they have 100k twitter followers that analyse every touch they make in a game and 30k+ on a Saturday demanding results. Confidence can easily disappear with a few bad results at Villa Park.

You mean actually arriving at BMH seems too much for most of them!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2131 on: February 01, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
My worst fear, of many, is that next August is going to be yet another false dawn.  Bruce will get them playing a bit when this season draws to a close.  We will allow our hopes to rise for the new season and the whole cycle of dreams unfulfilled will engulf us.  Sorry to be so negative but I have had my hopes raised and dashed so many times including yesterday.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2132 on: February 01, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »
My worst fear, of many, is that next August is going to be yet another false dawn.  Bruce will get them playing a bit when this season draws to a close.  We will allow our hopes to rise for the new season and the whole cycle of dreams unfulfilled will engulf us.  Sorry to be so negative but I have had my hopes raised and dashed so many times including yesterday.

True but we shouldn't really need to add that much in the summer. A stand in CB, a wide player to compete and of course the goalkeeper situation. This would be the thing that might derail us a bit if we do start to get it together. I said this at the start of Jan when we decided to make another temporary change to this critical position by deciding to train Man Utd's 3rd choice goalkeeper. It's my only gripe of an excellent window but it would be a real pisser if the rest of the team sorts itself out only to have problems caused by another change there.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2133 on: February 01, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
It was a tactical fuck up from the start, blooding too many players at once, who couldnt possibly have had an instilled game plan, to his inability to change things until a whole fucking hour too late. You dont know what youre doing.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2134 on: February 01, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »

I think he saw yesterday as a free hit. Change the shit midfield the fans don't like against a team on a bad run and hopefully it comes off for 3 points. It isn't the long term plan.

Thar is 442 more often than not and the odd horses for courses changes. My spirit has not been destroyed just yet. If we are still playing like this in 4 weeks I reserve the right to change my mind however.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2135 on: February 01, 2017, 07:07:40 PM »

I think he saw yesterday as a free hit. Change the shit midfield the fans don't like against a team on a bad run and hopefully it comes off for 3 points. It isn't the long term plan.

Thar is 442 more often than not and the odd horses for courses changes. My spirit has not been destroyed just yet. If we are still playing like this in 4 weeks I reserve the right to change my mind however.

If that's true and he basically gambled away 3 points on a whim then he's more incompetent than I ever imagined, we don't have anything like enough points or form to treat any game as a 'free hit'.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2136 on: February 01, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »
My spirit is fine, unbreakable.  It is the collateral damage Villa does to the better things in my life that is so destructive.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2137 on: February 01, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
We're not getting relegated or going to be close to it. Everything is a gamble, you let the dice fly and see how they fall. I thought he shoe horned too many in and didn't have the balance right, albeit with a promising start.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2138 on: February 01, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »

If that's true and he basically gambled away 3 points on a whim then he's more incompetent than I ever imagined, we don't have anything like enough points or form to treat any game as a 'free hit'.

I certainly don't know but reckon he has given up on this season. This window has been about him putting next year's team together with an outside chance of a run at the end of this year.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2139 on: February 01, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »
the first 10 minutes were the best I've seen under Bruce,
I honestly thought we were starting to turn that very long corner, and my hopes were up

I know it was only 10-15 minutes but at least we know we can play a bit

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2140 on: February 01, 2017, 07:34:22 PM »
We were excellent in the first half against Preston.  We started very well against Leeds at home. There have been a few good starts but we've lacked the consistency so far.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2141 on: February 01, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
I want Bruce to succeed and i'm fed up of constantly changing the manager. Plus new manager will want his own players and not want some already here and again we're trying to replace half a side and there is zero continuity.

However Bruce as to show he's the man to trust in the summer and next season. IMO we're not going up down this season so he has  another 18 games to get us playing football and looking like a unit from 1-11 rather than 3 separate units and each one filled with individuals. If we are still scrapping wins and playing shit by May then he probably has to go. We have a squad of players now that should be winning a lot more than they lose. He also needs to show he can change things during a game. The difference between Preston at VP when 2 down at HT and us last night when 2 down at HT was shocking. Preston changed things and tried to get something out the game, we actually seemed more interested in keeping the score down. No changes until the 76th minute when it's 0-3 and 10 minutes after their third was extremely piss poor management.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2142 on: February 01, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
My issue with his post game comments last night was his moaning about their mental fragility. I could buy that when he first took over and had to use lots of players long used to losing. But not now.

The only player on the park last night that spent any time around our first team last season was Hutton. It doesn't explain why this new bunch dissolve like a Berocca in a pint of water at the first sign of adversity.
100% this. I'm sick of hearing about mentality. They are professionals but they perform and are managed like pub players.
Everyone could see Thor was nowhere near the game after 40 mins and it took 70 mins to change anything.

Wtf do they actually do behind the scenes

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2143 on: February 01, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »
Lansbury started well then got a smack and was not in it. I actually thought he looked to get booked so misses going back to forest

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2144 on: February 01, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »

100% this. I'm sick of hearing about mentality. They are professionals but they perform and are managed like pub players.
Everyone could see Thor was nowhere near the game after 40 mins and it took 70 mins to change anything.

Wtf do they actually do behind the scenes

Ive thought that for years

Getting players to move for a throw in would be a start

I especially would like to know what our fitness coaches do and as an aside saw tony daley at sir grahams funeral today, why dont we poach him?

Having a team that could run their knackers off for 90 mins would go a long way in this league
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:00:57 PM by oswald funkletrumpet »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal