collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 397222 times)

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1950 on: January 23, 2017, 09:16:13 PM »
I'm happy with Steve Bruce at the moment. But if we did do the silly thing and get rid of him who the hell  would we appoint next ?

Exactly Accrington Stanley
We absolutely need stability for a considerable time...........and that will give him a chance to show what he can do, with the right players in the team, instead of this hotch-potch he has to re-assemble every week.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1951 on: January 23, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »
How about if the run of 3 defeats and 2 draws from the last 5  carries on for another 5-6 games and we're firmly bottom half with a third of the season to go?  Do you still stick with him despite him having half a season and nothing much having changed?  What I'm getting at is what would it take for people to change their minds? There were no thoughts of continuity when we sacked RDM or when we sacked Garde and let a fucking moron waste the rest of the season forcing us to watch a bunch of twats take us down without a care in the world?  Continuity works when you've got the club working towards a goal and you're looking for people to continue that/progress it.  Are we now saying that the way Bruce plays is something we want to embed in the club long term and therefore he gets far more patience than most managers would to do that?  Or is it that people are just convinced that he'll get another promotion and they don't care how long it takes or how it happens?

Bruce is a bit more experienced than those two and it shows. Garde took on the dressing room very early on and lost thinking he had players coming in presumably. In hindsight he should have told the club from day one to prepare for relegation and he would gut the squad accordingly.

RDM and Clarke on paper looked an ideal appointment but results were shocking after the money spent on proven championship performers.

Bruce is playing the media game a bit better, calling out McCormack was brave but he isn't his player really. Also diverts attention from a fast failing playoff challenge...

I think Bruce has the gumption to turn the club around but he needs results soon with Kodjia, Ayew and the new signings bedded in. We haven't looked in any way convincing under him yet against some very average but well drilled sides. McClaren, Benitez, Hughton and Monk all doing better under similar or even worse constraints.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1952 on: January 24, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
Can we please have no more nonsense about whether or not Steve Bruce has the credentials to succeed at Villa Park.  His comment "there has been too much indiscipline at this club for far too long and I won't stand for it" tells me he is totally the right man for the club right now. There has to be a total change in the mentally of the players who have been given the honour of playing for Aston Villa Football Club. I trust Bruce to deliver this 100%. Whether he goes on to achieve honours for the club remains to be seen but let's be clear. It won't happen until he cuts out the rotten core that has prevailed at B6 for far too long. He deserves and needs our full backing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:43:23 PM by The Edge »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1953 on: January 24, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1954 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »

sack him...

https://twitter.com/bruceatwedding/status/822494730848178176

He'll get sacked for underplaying it, it was of course the greatest day out ever, period.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1955 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »

sack him...

Some people have too much time on their hands. That twitter page is not even slightly funny.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1956 on: January 24, 2017, 01:44:14 PM »

sack him...

Some people have too much time on their hands. That twitter page is not even slightly funny.
I think it's hilarious!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1957 on: January 24, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »

sack him...

Haven't looked at it in a while as it suddenly started tweeting adverts but it's certainly been funny.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1958 on: January 24, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
What difference does it make if I say I don't think "he needs at least 2 windows" is the right idea though?

I'm saying judge him on what he actually does it's the people already talking about giving him the summer window that aren't doing that.

I wouldn't put any rigid timescales on it, but take the common sense approach.  If, after signing Bree, Lansbury and Hairyhands, there's still no uplift in form or results, then questions will need to be asked, especially after the boys on African duty are back.  He will have fixed the immediate problem areas of the team, so I expect that there should be an improvement.  I do think we've probably left it too late for this season though, but as long as he's showing good form and results taking us towards the end of the season, that would be enough for me.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1959 on: January 24, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
What difference does it make if I say I don't think "he needs at least 2 windows" is the right idea though?

I'm saying judge him on what he actually does it's the people already talking about giving him the summer window that aren't doing that.

I wouldn't put any rigid timescales on it, but take the common sense approach.  If, after signing Bree, Lansbury and Hairyhands, there's still no uplift in form or results, then questions will need to be asked, especially after the boys on African duty are back.  He will have fixed the immediate problem areas of the team, so I expect that there should be an improvement.  I do think we've probably left it too late for this season though, but as long as he's showing good form and results taking us towards the end of the season, that would be enough for me.

to be honest that's what I'm trying to suggest.  i understand that he's been promoted elsewhere but, ashas already been said in this discussion, he admits this is his biggest job.  We've seen other people wilt under the pressure and until he shows that he's not doing the same I don't think it's right for us to guarantee anything.  Once we see something to hold on to then we move forward but other than a bounce for 5-6 games I honestly don't think we've seen a huge change from anything else in the last 2 years and he needs to show he can bring that change.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1960 on: January 31, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
Well Steve thats last 10 played for 11 points. What do you say? We sacked the previous manager for similar results.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1961 on: January 31, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »
Not good enough by a mile, sort it out Bruce.

Offline villabear

« Reply #1962 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
I'd just like a glint of encouragement but we don't create chances let alone score goals. It's really fucking hard work watching us at the moment as it has been for the last five or so years. Grim.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1963 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:45 PM »
Really annoyed he waited so long to change anything and it's not the first time. All well and good post match saying how bad we were but how about you do your fucking job and fucking change it during a game.

Offline ez

« Reply #1964 on: January 31, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »
How long before he's leaning on the edge of the dugout expressionless like RDM, Garde, Lambert...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal