collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:14:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:54 PM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396681 times)

Offline oldhill_avfc

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1860 on: January 22, 2017, 12:18:11 AM »
Ive never been Bruces biggest fan by a long way, but Im coming round to thinking he knows what needs to be done at this hell hole and am 100% behind him, for this season at least.

Same here.

The situation reminds me a lot of how STG Mk2 was talked about when he was lumbered with trying to sort out a mess and talked about it the same straightforward no nonsense kind of way.

Decent men both - while on here we're danger of spouting a lot ludicrous guff over perceived tactics.

Online Villafirst

« Reply #1861 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
The indicispline at the club has been evident for several seasons. It's slowly being eradicated, but will take time to sort out completely. I've supported Ross McCormack this season thinking he'll come good, but with that attitude it's time to get rid. He had a real chance with Kodjia and Ayew away but has squandered the opportunity. We're basically down to Gabby and  rookie Davis as our forward options. I back SB to sort the shambles.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #1862 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
Neither option really inspirational, eh?
I still think Nakhi Wells would be a good option - Deano Sauners-like IMHO.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1863 on: January 22, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »
Neither option really inspirational, eh?
I still think Nakhi Wells would be a good option - Deano Sauners-like IMHO.

He's got tiny feet and he runs around with his tongue sticking out the corner of his mouth?

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #1864 on: January 22, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
That's not a very nice picture you've left me with. Hope no-one considers it non-pc or nuffin'.

Online LeeB

« Reply #1865 on: January 22, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
For BOB:

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #1866 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
Kindness personified, Lee B.
Thanks but what about the feet ??
Wasn't he a size 9 ?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1867 on: January 22, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
Ive never been Bruces biggest fan by a long way, but Im coming round to thinking he knows what needs to be done at this hell hole and am 100% behind him, for this season at least.

Same here.

The situation reminds me a lot of how STG Mk2 was talked about when he was lumbered with trying to sort out a mess and talked about it the same straightforward no nonsense kind of way.

Decent men both - while on here we're danger of spouting a lot ludicrous guff over perceived tactics.

Like all managers Bruce will be judged on results so I hardly think it's "ludicrous guff" to discuss his tactics, especially when he's said himself  he “doesn't like tactics”. I'd hope that with Calderwood alongside him he can react to teams changing theirs as was the case yesterday when Preston switched to 4-3-3 in the second half and we failed to answer before it was too late.

What I see as Bruce's greatest strength is his experience to get the club organised from top to bottom. It's a massive task but I think he's the right man to get the job done. Obviously Steve Round also has that responsibility but Bruce will be involved in all planning and decisions. It's little wonder European clubs leave the job to DoFs and appoint a coach rather than a Manager. Be that as it may, Bruce has the qualities to rebuild the club and also hopefully the first team. I can see him delegating responsibilities, he's not an egotistical chancer like RDM, though he'll be fully aware it's always his neck on the line.

Yesterday for 45 minutes we produced some of the best football seen in ages at Villa Park. To me it's a sign things are moving in the right direction. Dropping the 3 points with a crap second half will only become acceptable if we learn from it. I'm sure Bruce is as pissed off as most of us. Time will tell whether he can get the team fully functioning. There are plenty out there doing it with a hell of a lot less but right now, like Sir Humphrey told Minister Jim Hacker, he's doing okay.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1868 on: January 22, 2017, 06:35:17 PM »
As much as we were all pissed off yesterday for throwing it away it was amazing to see how well we played and after buying what I consider to be a proper two way midfielder. Someone who can get stuck in, but knows how to pass and get forward. It changed the entire composition of the team. Now you throw in Hourihane next to Lansbury, Jedinak behind, bring back in Kodjia and upgrade at RB you start to see what we might become. Yesterday was encouraging and frustrating but hopefully a positive sign of things to come.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #1869 on: January 22, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »
Isn't that second-half capitulation maybe a bit indicative that the delegating [ to Calderwood ] is a bit too much? And he absolutely needs to be more of a dictator on the training/coaching front.
I would love to know how they approach coaching because it seems that maybe they think tactics is the be-all and end-all.
When, in fact, skill-based and speed training seem absent.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #1870 on: January 22, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »
SB really screwed up today.
Big time.

Which has become a regular theme unfortunately.
Welcome to Villa, please leave your brain at the door...and any talent you happened to bring with you??

This is the type of ludicrous guff I was referring to.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:38:58 PM by oldhill_avfc »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1871 on: January 22, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
Isn't that second-half capitulation maybe a bit indicative that the delegating [ to Calderwood ] is a bit too much? And he absolutely needs to be more of a dictator on the training/coaching front.

The second half was Bruce's call as to whether to change to Preston going 4-3-3, nothing to do with delegating too much to Calderwood. Obviously Calderwood can give him advise. From the regular photos on the OS Bruce seems to be very much a tracksuit manager and involved in day to day training sessions.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1872 on: January 22, 2017, 07:28:27 PM »
Its far to early to judge Steve Bruce, his backroom staff etc. 

What is clear  is that he was not satisfied  with the squad he took over.  Yes  he has made one or two surprising selection decisions, he needs the summer to recruit properly and commence on an honest challenge to get us out of this division.

I think this time next year we will be able to honestly assess, up to then got to give him some slack.

I know everyone is desperate to get back to the premiership but not even the likes of Houdini, Uri Geller etc can  force that.  We just need to be patient, otherwise we turn into a circus  like the Leeds  module was until Monk bedded in.

Offline claretandbeer

« Reply #1873 on: January 22, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »
As much as we were all pissed off yesterday for throwing it away it was amazing to see how well we played and after buying what I consider to be a proper two way midfielder. Someone who can get stuck in, but knows how to pass and get forward. It changed the entire composition of the team. Now you throw in Hourihane next to Lansbury, Jedinak behind, bring back in Kodjia and upgrade at RB you start to see what we might become. Yesterday was encouraging and frustrating but hopefully a positive sign of things to come.
After a few beers,I finally came to this conclusion.Bruce's acquisitions in a usually difficult transfer window look to be promising in comparison to RDM's  purchase of Gollini,Elphick,Tshibola,Adomah,McCormack,Jedinak and Kodjia.Kodjia excepted,the rest assembled at huge sums for this league have struggled to justify their places in a below mid table team.Professionalism at least seems to be back in B6,refreshing after the rank amateurism of orevious seasons.It's probably not going to be inspirational  unlike a Klopp,Pochettino or Pep but SGT would approve.

Online LeeB

« Reply #1874 on: January 22, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »
Kindness personified, Lee B.
Thanks but what about the feet ??
Wasn't he a size 9 ?

Size 6 I believe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal