collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:14:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:54 PM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:09:43 PM]

Re: MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396670 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1575 on: January 03, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
The majority of the results have been there even if some of the performances haven't. I think Bruce has done a decent job so far and even if we don't go up this season, I hope he's given the chance to have another crack at it next season.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1576 on: January 03, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »
The majority of the results have been there even if some of the performances haven't. I think Bruce has done a decent job so far and even if we don't go up this season, I hope he's given the chance to have another crack at it next season.

we've lost 3 of our last 4 away games though so clearly something needs to be addressed.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #1577 on: January 03, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »

we've lost 3 of our last 4 away games though so clearly something needs to be addressed.

Of course, but like i said, i'm happy enough with the job he's done so far.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1578 on: January 03, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
Ron Saunders? Played 442. That's pub football isn't it?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1579 on: January 03, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »

Of course, but like i said, i'm happy enough with the job he's done so far.

I think the results have been about what I expected so far and I fully expected us to be more defensive, I just didn't expect us to look so out of sorts going forward as that was the one area where you could see what RDM was trying to do (we created lots of chances in the early games but poor finishing cost us).  I'm also not happy with the rehabilitation of gabby, the refusal to change things in midfield (either in training or selection) and the sidelining of RHM and Tish, I don't think Bunn for Gollini was warranted either and combined they highlight a lack of trust in the younger players.

If we don't go up this year I can accept him having another season if he's at least trying to address those areas, if we get to the end of the season still playing like this and looking totally disjonited in possession then I'll be very unhappy with him

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1580 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:29 PM »
He's moving other people's deck chairs about. The world and his wife knows the midfield is rank. I can't understand why Tshibola didn't get a go, I can only assume it was for other reasons that we're not privy too. He did well when he came on and we looked a lot more like it second half.

We need to be able to dictate the tempo more in the way we play away from home. We're too passive these past 3 or 4 games, where it's clear our strengths lie in putting the squeeze on.

I can't believe people are calling for his head. Moronic does begin to cover it. It's a big month, we should make the Play Offs of we strengthen wisely.

2 weeks until we play the Wolves, who are shite. We need to be picking up results against struggling teams, as we did with QPR, on a regular basis.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1581 on: January 03, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »
He's moving other people's deck chairs about. The world and his wife knows the midfield is rank. I can't understand why Tshibola didn't get a go, I can only assume it was for other reasons that we're not privy too. He did well when he came on and we looked a lot more like it second half.

We need to be able to dictate the tempo more in the way we play away from home. We're too passive these past 3 or 4 games, where it's clear our strengths lie in putting the squeeze on.

I can't believe people are calling for his head. Moronic does begin to cover it. It's a big month, we should make the Play Offs of we strengthen wisely.

2 weeks until we play the Wolves, who are shite. We need to be picking up results against struggling teams, as we did with QPR, on a regular basis.

I hope I'm not included in that because I've never done that and really don't want that.

Shuffling other peoples deckchairs is obviously difficult but there are very few managers who aren't doing that for a big part of their career and if some of them are broken you don't just leave them on deck unattended until you get to port and can buy a few replacements.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #1582 on: January 03, 2017, 05:06:08 PM »
We do need to be better away from home as well, thats obvious but I also think a bit of patience is needed as well. He's kept us to within reach of the play offs and in that respect, that's an acceptable return.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1583 on: January 03, 2017, 05:07:48 PM »
I haven't read anybody calling for his head.

Edit: Other than the President Emeritus of the Steve Bruce Fan Club (West & North Yorks Branch).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:13:00 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1584 on: January 03, 2017, 05:32:37 PM »
It is way too early to even be thinking about calling for Bruce's head but I can see why people have some concerns about him.  Whilst results are the important thing and he's been picking up points, it's still not been enough to get us into the top 8 even in what is a fairly mediocre league.   Our away form is still nowhere near good enough for a promotion hopeful, and even at home we've been mostly scraping wins rather than being convincing.   1.8 points per game is much better than RDM but the top 5 have at least that and more for the season as a whole, and Wednesday in 6th have an average of 1.68 per game for the season. Derby's recent ppg must be at least 1.8 and probably higher.  So we're going to have to improve on that to have a realistic chance of even making the play-offs.  The football has been generally scrappy rather than fluid, and he selections sometimes defy belief.   He doesn't seem to place much faith in promising youngsters even though it would be hard for them to have less positive input than the likes of Hutton, Westwood, Gardner and Agbonlahor if given the chance.  I do like his honesty, if we've been crap he'll say so, and it's obvious the players are now fitter and working harder. But I wish I could see more evidence that he really knows what he is doing tactically and in terms of assessing the players he has. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1585 on: January 03, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »
If it's a mediocre league but we're having to better 1.8 points per game it suggests that the top teams are pretty good/consistent.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1586 on: January 03, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
If it's a mediocre league but we're having to better 1.8 points per game it suggests that the top teams are pretty good/consistent.

its a competitive league but a rubbish league,
I have been quite shocked at some of the shit football teams are playing yet doing quite well in the league
apart from possibly the top two, one of which we had the better of away from home already,
i have not seen any other team play any decent football, its been absolute garbage from start to finish including us

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1587 on: January 03, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »

its a competitive league but a rubbish league,
I have been quite shocked at some of the shit football teams are playing yet doing quite well in the league
apart from possibly the top two, one of which we had the better of away from home already,
i have not seen any other team play any decent football, its been absolute garbage from start to finish including us

Totally agree the lack of quality has been shocking

The only team that i have seen at vp who i thought looked decent were wolves in the second half

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1588 on: January 03, 2017, 08:49:32 PM »
If Bruce ends up being hounded out just because he hasn't got us into the top six within three months of arriving after literally years of decay then for the first time in a long time I will mightily down and pissed off.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1589 on: January 03, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
If Bruce ends up being hounded out just because he hasn't got us into the top six within three months of arriving after literally years of decay then for the first time in a long time I will mightily down and pissed off.

That's almost as if you couldn't be bothered to read anything anyone has posted and you've decided to just assume that anyone who's a bit unhappy is calling for him to go when pretty much no one has even suggested it other than the people who are, like you, complaining about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal