collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396542 times)

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1320 on: November 22, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »
Our next five home games are cardiff, Wigan, button Albion, Leeds and Preston. They all look very winnable

We've some tougher away games where draws would be a decent result

But we've got pretty much a fully fit squad now and a great chance to really motor up the league

Let's hope we play a pressing game against them.

No need-Go all out on the attack and we should have it sewn up by half time.

Lets not take the thread off tangent.

Lets just hope they don't undo us

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1321 on: November 22, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
I'm expecting momentum, squad depth, and ability to invest in January to be key factors in the second half of the season to separate us from the great majority of the other sides in the division. Newcastle aside no other team will have our resources. It should make a difference and especially with a man in charge who has been there and done it.

Online Steve kirk

« Reply #1322 on: November 26, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
What a turnaround since we replaced RDM, thankyou Steve Bruce.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1323 on: November 26, 2016, 05:27:06 PM »
What a turnaround since we replaced RDM, thankyou Steve Bruce.

brucie win rate 57%

RDM  win rate 8%

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1324 on: November 26, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »
4 wins in 7 under Bruce. 4 wins in 51 before Bruce.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1325 on: November 26, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »
Wow.

Full credit to Bruce, it is very obviously and directly down to him and the fact he knows what he is doing. He is modest about it as well, which makes me like him even more, because lets be real, he has managed to do something something very hard indeed. He took a team and a club with broken morale worried about the relegation zone and turned it into a good side storming up the table without a transfer window to help him out plus a series of international breaks which disrupted him crafting the way he wants us to play.

Amazing really.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:33:49 PM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1326 on: November 26, 2016, 07:34:36 PM »
Yeah amazing, would never have believed how quickly he has turned it round, truly amazing

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1327 on: November 26, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »
Wow.

Full credit to Bruce, it is very obviously and directly down to him and the fact he knows what he is doing. He is modest about it as well, which makes me like him even more, because lets be real, he has managed to do something something very hard indeed. He took a team and a club with broken morale worried about the relegation zone and turned it into a good side storming up the table without a transfer window to help him out plus a series of international breaks which disrupted him crafting the way he wants us to play.

Amazing really.
Well said ciggie.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1328 on: November 26, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
4 wins in 7 under Bruce. 4 wins in 51 before Bruce.
Fucking hell.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1329 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
After a dodgy first game which we were lucky to pull anything out of the hat he has done well. 

His main pluses which he has brought to the Villa are:

1. Restoring confidence;
2. Bringing in a potentially excellent defensive coach;
3. Proper use of substitutions

Now if only he could dodge Westwood and Hutton that would be an amazing  turn around.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #1330 on: November 26, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »
Wow.

Amazing really.

Fair points but I worry how we will respond to our first defeat under him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1331 on: November 26, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »
Wow.

Amazing really.

Fair points but I worry how we will respond to our first defeat under him.

Not something you'll need to worry about for a few years.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1332 on: November 26, 2016, 09:17:07 PM »
After a dodgy first game which we were lucky to pull anything out of the hat he has done well. 

His main pluses which he has brought to the Villa are:

1. Restoring confidence;
2. Bringing in a potentially excellent defensive coach;
3. Proper use of substitutions

Now if only he could dodge Westwood and Hutton that would be an amazing  turn around.

he has made some big decisions in terms of personnel too

brought back in Richards and Gabby, though it will be interesting to see if Richards will get another chance after his pathetic efforts v Wolves

Amavi has replaced Cissokho

Baker has replaced Elphick

Kept Hutton in side, though injuries have helped Hutton's cause

Jedinak has improved out of all recognition, took him off for his own good v Wolves he was so bad

Midfield three generally has been used

Kodjia has played a good bit on left

likes of Gestede, McCormack, Ayew, Tshibola all seem like they are still to impress Bruce

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1333 on: November 26, 2016, 09:57:46 PM »

Amazing really.

I wouldn't call it 'amazing' but the fact he knows his arse from his elbow. I heard him the other day saying how a manager's job is very difficult and believe him. His experience is so important to us and it's starting to show. I do wonder how the pressure of the Villa job and the expectations may even get to him. The team selection of playing from the off so many attacking players at Villa Park rather than winning the midfield battle first being an example. He's lucky to have so many options on the bench, something he wouldn't have had at his previous clubs. It's still a massive job for him but he's wise enough to know that you get no where in this division without hard work.

I really like his character, you called it modest and yes, if MON had given a post match press conference today he would have talked about the "scintillating football" we played. Bruce doesn't seem to do bullshit, he calls it as he sees it and up until now he's been spot on. Rather than take the praise himself, he piles it on the players. I can imagine they love working for him. I get the feeling he'd love to be here for the long stay and maybe he might just manage it. Bringing in people like Calderwood that can help him improve the team play is a sign of a man that knows his limits. Ferguson did the same at Man Utd with Queiroz - maybe it's something Bruce recalls; he certainly wasn't in a rush to name his staff. He really took his time and it was a major risk had he not got the results.

PWS's stat above tells you everything you need to know about how bad we were. When I told a friend the other day how much we'd spent in the summer and where we were in the league, he couldn't believe it. He commented that club the size of Benfica couldn't even dream of spending that much. Football isn't rocket science but you do need somebody that knows what they're doing. In Bruce I think we've found that man.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1334 on: November 27, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »
I agree with all the above

I think Bruce himself would say he's had a fair bit of luck early on - drawing v wolves, last minute pen at reading, Fulham keeper fucks up in the last ten, lucky to get a draw at blues.

although RDM wasn't the right man for the job (and those of you who called it early were right) he did have quite a lot of bad luck - Gollini twice costing us points late on, forest score two absolute worldies with their only shots on target. I'd still say the forest game is probably the best we've played all season

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal