collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Steve67
[Today at 09:40:50 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:40:22 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 09:39:09 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Keeno
[Today at 09:38:06 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:36:47 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Forge10
[Today at 09:35:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396581 times)

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1215 on: November 05, 2016, 11:40:35 PM »
If we win our next game it will be 4 league wins in 6 games under Bruce. We won 4 of 51 league before Bruce.

What's the best start a Villa manager has had?

John Gregory had a ridiculous record for about 6 months.

Sherwood won 3 out of his first 5 including the cup game v WBA.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #1216 on: November 05, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »
These next two weeks will be critical now. Brighton will be a very tough game and massive test of for us and Bruce. We'll have a good idea exactly where we are under him.

Just looking at the next 4 fixtures, we have two home games against lowly sides (Wigan & Cardiff) and two away games against top 6 sides (Leeds & Brighton)

We are currently 4 points off 6th place.  I would settle for being the same amount away after those 4 games.  Anything else will be a bonus.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1217 on: November 06, 2016, 12:01:32 AM »
If we win our next game it will be 4 league wins in 6 games under Bruce. We won 4 of 51 league before Bruce.

Both Timah and JG used the well worn tactic of motivating one faction of the players by demonizing the others. While the energy level last and before injuries take their toll, this often yields early dividends.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1218 on: November 06, 2016, 12:06:28 AM »
Keep it going Brucey, but I hope we start to gain the ability to dominate and get easy wins.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1219 on: November 06, 2016, 12:42:16 AM »
So is he really a football novelist or not?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1220 on: November 06, 2016, 01:23:42 AM »
So is he really a football novelist or not?

Is Jeffrey Archer a real novelist or not?

Is there life in Peckham?

We may never know.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1221 on: November 06, 2016, 08:05:32 AM »
The comments about kodjia playing off the left are interesting. I just don't think we've got the players to suit everyone's needs at the moment so there'll have to be compromises

Our midfield looks much better in a 3
That means McCormack can't play in his proper role behind the striker
Grealish could play left of an attacking 3 or behind the strikers
Ayew could do the same or play right
Adomah is a proper winger
Kodjia is probably best on the left of a three
Gestede is the only out and out striker but he's probably too immobile

I think that probably means 433 and you just pick the men in form with McCormack on the bench to come on and change the game if needed

But it would be interesting to see whether ayew and Kodjia could play as split strikers with grealish or McCormack behind

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1222 on: November 06, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »

Both Timah and JG used the well worn tactic of motivating one faction of the players by demonizing the others. While the energy level last and before injuries take their toll, this often yields early dividends.

Which players were demonised? I don't get that.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1223 on: November 06, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »
Ayew could play central, Kodjia left and Adomah right.
Ayew and Kodjia could then rotate position and just play fluid

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #1224 on: November 06, 2016, 10:21:06 AM »
I love that he is constantly on the touch line kicking every ball with the players.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1225 on: November 06, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »
For the first 45 minutes yesterday I couldn't tell the difference between his contribution to tactics to those of RDM.

It was really after we scored the second that any variation showed with stout defending.  We are definitely more solid than with the blow hot and cold Elphick.

Still wait and see from me - nothing whatsoever to him having been with the unwashed.  I have seen so many false dawns with the Villa.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #1226 on: November 06, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »
For the first 45 minutes yesterday I couldn't tell the difference between his contribution to tactics to those of RDM.

It was really after we scored the second that any variation showed with stout defending.  We are definitely more solid than with the blow hot and cold Elphick.

Still wait and see from me - nothing whatsoever to him having been with the unwashed.  I have seen so many false dawns with the Villa.
At half time, my thoughts were that at least there would have been some excitement and chances created under RDM.  The first half was very poor, as it was against Fulham 2 weeks previously.

I don't particularly like the style of football but the results are speaking for themselves.  I don't think it is coincidence, nor is it new manager bounce.  Bruce has the side lined up efficiently.

There are some tough games between now and Xmas, including Brighton, Leeds and Norwich away.  By the time we play against Burton on Boxing Day, we'll have a clearer indication of where we should be aiming.

Thinking positively, Bruce is as experienced as anyone in the division of getting out of it.  He has the best squad of players that he's worked with at this level and there is room for vast improvement (I don't think we're playing that well yet and can do a lot better).  We also have a pretty strong squad and can cover all positions which gives us an advantage over most of our rivals.  January could see that strength improved further.

It's a thumbs up from me and a genuine hope of reaching at least the play offs, which was highly unlikely under RDM.

Worst case scenario, if we do miss out this time,  I can see us being even stronger next season with the advantage of a season playing together and a pre-season of stability.  It is a 2 year plan to regain PL status.  I'm confident we are in good hands.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #1227 on: November 06, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »

Not having a go at you but not sure you need to wait and see as Bruce has a proven track record of getting teams up and it's pretty much a safe bet that we will go up if not this season than more than likely the next. It's when we get there when he has to prove himself

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1228 on: November 06, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »
11 points every five games will see us get to 87 points after 45 games.  Time to crack open the champagne.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #1229 on: November 06, 2016, 01:06:23 PM »
I love that he is constantly on the touch line kicking every ball with the players.

And did you see how far out of his technical area he was in the second half yesterday? Almost level with the penalty area!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal