collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396977 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1200 on: November 05, 2016, 06:29:43 PM »
If we win our next game it will be 4 league wins in 6 games under Bruce. We won 4 of 51 league before Bruce.

What's the best start a Villa manager has had?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1201 on: November 05, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »
Winning the European Cup!

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1202 on: November 05, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »
If we win our next game it will be 4 league wins in 6 games under Bruce. We won 4 of 51 league before Bruce.

It was Gregory but without Googling I couldn't tell you the numbers.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1203 on: November 05, 2016, 06:36:57 PM »

It was Gregory but without Googling I couldn't tell you the numbers.

Think it was 11 wins in 13 to the end of his first season

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #1204 on: November 05, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
Winning the European Cup!
Can't argue with that PWS!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1205 on: November 05, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »
These next two weeks will be critical now. Brighton will be a very tough game and massive test of for us and Bruce. We'll have a good idea exactly where we are under him.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #1206 on: November 05, 2016, 07:08:46 PM »
These next two weeks will be critical now. Brighton will be a very tough game and massive test of for us and Bruce. We'll have a good idea exactly where we are under him.
Brighton are currently 0-2 up at Bristol City. That said we are going to FTF!

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1207 on: November 05, 2016, 07:11:41 PM »
Nice going into the break with a win!

Offline supertom

« Reply #1208 on: November 05, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »
Brighton is a big test. If we remain unbeaten after that, we'll be looking good. Given what he walked into, Bruce has made a cracking start. He's getting the best out of Kodija, and he's also had a positive impact on Baker, Gardner and Jedinak. Consequently we're looking a lot more resolute.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1209 on: November 05, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »
Gregory won nine of his first eleven league games as boss, at the end of the 97/98 season. The following season, we were unbeaten for the first dozen league games, leaving us top of the Prem in November.

No pressure, then, Steve...

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1210 on: November 05, 2016, 09:57:11 PM »
No wee ate im cuz ee wuz a bloo nose so we still ate im.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #1211 on: November 05, 2016, 10:04:46 PM »
I think we will continue to improve and if we can continue t pick up points until January, hopefully another midfielder or two would be perfect

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1212 on: November 05, 2016, 10:33:49 PM »
To roll things back around the criticism from last week today is what I think we should've expected last week.  A poor first half is fine if the 2nd sees an increase in intensity and puts pressure on the opposition.  Today is much more what I expected from Bruce, poor at times and not all that pretty to watch but battle for everything and never give up.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #1213 on: November 05, 2016, 10:39:55 PM »
I think we will continue to improve and if we can continue t pick up points until January, hopefully another midfielder or two would be perfect
This is where I'm at.  It's not pretty and it is a fine line between winning and drawing but the results speak for themselves.  I'm still not convinced that this set up will beat the better sides.

An interesting comment from Bruce tonight was that many French teams play with a striker out wide and the obvious example is/was Thierry Henry.  I'm not happy with the way Ross McCormack is being played and certainly think he was wasted today as an out and out striker.  From what I've seen of him in a Villa shirt, I think he's far better suited to being a number 10, which doesn't seem likely to happen under Bruce.

Given our personnel, I think Rudy is the best option as striker. Adomah would have to start for me, which leaves one out of Grealish and Aywe.  As a potential unpopular choice, I would start Tishibola ahead of Gardner.

The one thing that I found frustrating today was the constant lack of bodies in the box when we had chances to cross it.  Rudy will always give us that option.

richtheholtender

« Reply #1214 on: November 05, 2016, 10:57:01 PM »
This is where I'm at.  It's not pretty and it is a fine line between winning and drawing but the results speak for themselves.  I'm still not convinced that this set up will beat the better sides.

An interesting comment from Bruce tonight was that many French teams play with a striker out wide and the obvious example is/was Thierry Henry.  I'm not happy with the way Ross McCormack is being played and certainly think he was wasted today as an out and out striker.  From what I've seen of him in a Villa shirt, I think he's far better suited to being a number 10, which doesn't seem likely to happen under Bruce.

Given our personnel, I think Rudy is the best option as striker. Adomah would have to start for me, which leaves one out of Grealish and Aywe.  As a potential unpopular choice, I would start Tishibola ahead of Gardner.

The one thing that I found frustrating today was the constant lack of bodies in the box when we had chances to cross it.  Rudy will always give us that option.

The only Villa side I ever saw get players in the box regularly was the Atkinson side. They have always got to the oppositions box and pass round it because we only have one or two players in the box. I think a lot of our problems for s long time have been as a result of what they do on the training ground or lack there of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal