collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396687 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1185 on: November 01, 2016, 08:38:49 AM »
its is a good points total and yeah plenty of good teams grind out a result now and then and generally play below par but get something from a game. I just wonder if you can get promoted doing just that

That's almost exactly what Bruce did in his last Hull promotion (brother in law Hull fan tells me).

From memory, it's almost exactly what we did to get out of this division last time.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1186 on: November 01, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
Nobody on here would be saying "it's lovely how we pass the ball to each other" if in each of those games we came away with nothing. It's like when Lambert went to see Pep and came back with the idea that passing the ball around for 10 minutes inside our own half was the way to go while we conceded 5 in the process.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1187 on: November 01, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »
This is a story picked off the Beeb...

I've highlighted the pertinent bits as it's how I feel about the team since Bruce's arrival.  I haven't felt that way since MON in his first few seasons.

The appointment of Steve Bruce as Aston Villa manager has restored the players' confidence and made them feel they cannot lose, says Gary Gardner, their goalscorer at Birmingham on Sunday.

Villa were pegged back following the midfielder's superb 29th-minute header on Sunday, having to settle for a 1-1 draw with local rivals Blues.

But it stretched improving Villa's unbeaten run under Bruce to four games.

"Every player knows what they're doing now. We feel confident," said Gardner.

"The gaffer's been there and done it - four promotions, and hopefully he can get another one with us. We've worked very hard and it's showing.

"It feels like we can't lose. I know it's funny to say that but it's a good feeling to have. Going into games knowing you've got a better chance of winning than losing is good."
Gardner back in favour under Bruce

After starting the season as first-choice under previous boss Roberto di Matteo, Gardner was largely relegated to the bench until being recalled to the starting line-up for Bruce's second game in charge at Reading.

It resulted in Villa's first away win in 14 months - and Gardner, 24, has now started three games on the trot to move within two of 100 career appearances.

"It took a while to get my chance and I won't let it go easily," he told BBC WM. "I've worked my socks off on the pitch and looked after myself off the pitch and taken it with both hands.

"Scoring at St Andrew's and celebrating in front of the Villa fans was massive for me."

Although Gardner's strike - his first for the club - was cancelled out by David Davis's 71st-minute equaliser, it did little to lessen the excitement for a player whose family, including his elder brother, West Brom midfielder Craig, do not all share his love of the Villa.

"It's a split family," he said. "But I had texts from my Bluenose brothers saying 'Well done, we're proud of you'. I'm just disappointed we didn't go and win.

"I know there's a lot of hatred between the fans but it brings Birmingham together. You watch these games on TV and then from the stand and you know how much it means.

"Growing up as a kid, it was a dream to even play in a derby, never mind score. It's no coincidence that two lads from the city scored the goals. I'm sure David will feel the same. "

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1188 on: November 01, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
Bruce has appointed Gary Walsh from Hull as our new goalkeeping coach.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1189 on: November 01, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »
Nobody on here would be saying "it's lovely how we pass the ball to each other" if in each of those games we came away with nothing. It's like when Lambert went to see Pep and came back with the idea that passing the ball around for 10 minutes inside our own half was the way to go while we conceded 5 in the process.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I'd never seen a team go backwards from their own goal kicks before then. Innovative.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #1190 on: November 02, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »

Oh yeah, I remember that. I'd never seen a team go backwards from their own goal kicks before then. Innovative.

Don't forget the Nilogy of christmas 2014.  More passes there than Danny Mills on Mastermind. 

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1191 on: November 02, 2016, 03:58:25 AM »
I do want to see us play beautiful football as well as win, tbf to Bruce I thought we played some pleasing stuff against Fulham. The derby is not really a fair place to judge style. They are always ugly.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1192 on: November 02, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
With the squad we have we should see some "beautiful football" but first Bruce has had to get them to understand the most basic of requirements in the Championship - hard work. Kodjia's wonderful goal against Reading would never have happened had he not chased down the keeper. Something I'm sure Bruce had instructed his strikers to do.

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #1193 on: November 03, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
3rd review in the series critiquing Steve Bruce's series of novels. I know previous reviews were posted but I don't think this one was so I'm submitting this for the sake of completeness:

http://thesetpieces.com/features/defender-steve-bruce-review/

Offline andyaston

« Reply #1194 on: November 03, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
With the squad we have we should see some "beautiful football" but first Bruce has had to get them to understand the most basic of requirements in the Championship - hard work. Kodjia's wonderful goal against Reading would never have happened had he not chased down the keeper. Something I'm sure Bruce had instructed his strikers to do.
That is true. I think you mean Fulham at home.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1195 on: November 05, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
Good. Effing. Start.

Online django

« Reply #1196 on: November 05, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »
Great start.

Offline myf

« Reply #1197 on: November 05, 2016, 05:35:25 PM »
Thanks Bruce. Enjoying supporting villa again

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1198 on: November 05, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »
If we win our next game it will be 4 league wins in 6 games under Bruce. We won 4 of 51 league before Bruce.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #1199 on: November 05, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »
That really is an incredible stat. I was nonplussed about his appointment but you can't argue with those numbers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal