collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:09:43 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 10:39:43 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:17:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:09:43 PM]

Re: MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 11:05:25 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:01:05 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Re: MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:56:39 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:53 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396660 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1155 on: October 31, 2016, 09:01:27 PM »
Yep I'd agree Risso. Yesterday was a poor display, but not a bad result, and overall I think Bruce is doing a very good job turning round a club that has been a basket case for 5/6 years.

That's largely the point I've been trying to make, Bruce has done well in terms of results and can't be faulted for that but the performance yesterday, even accounting for a local derby, was far below the standards I'd expect.  They managed to pass the ball about a bit, they managed to find a way to make it stick up front and create chances.  Defensive stability at the expense of attacking creativity is understandable in the short term but it can't be acceptable over a longer period.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1156 on: October 31, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
Like a lot of people have already said, the performance wasn't the best and the majority of fans would agree with that. It was the 'up there with one of the worst performance in the last 5 years' which people on here generally disagreed with and they were within their right to call you up on that. That's what you failed to grasp for some reason.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1157 on: October 31, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »
What Clampy said.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #1158 on: October 31, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »
I'm a little easier about it than I was this time last night.  I was initially frustrated that we hadn't payed better against a fairly average team.  I now think more about the chances they missed and am far more happy with a point.

I think that in hindsight, I would have sent Rudy on instead of McCormack.  For all Kodjia's attributes, he rarely wins the high balls when they are pumped up.  Maybe pushing Kodjia back to where McCormack played and having Rudy win more of the high balls would have helped.

I'm also concerned that Bruce isn't keen on Tish which would be a pity because most would agree that he's looked good for us this season.

My feeling is that we are going to have to win a fair few aways this year and draws will not help us.  I hope at some point we go for these wins rather than play as we did against Reading & Blues.  Like someone else stated earlier, Bruce has a free pass for now and I'm confident we're in safe hands.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1159 on: October 31, 2016, 09:46:42 PM »
Like a lot of people have already said, the performance wasn't the best and the majority of fans would agree with that. It was the 'up there with one of the worst performance in the last 5 years' which people on here generally disagreed with and they were within their right to call you up on that. That's what you failed to grasp for some reason.

No it's really not that I've failed to grasp anything.  I've quite clearly said that I know people may view it that way.  I personally judge it that bad because there was no point in the game where I thought we were going to even create a decent chance let alone score, I honestly can't think of more than a handful of games I've seen in the last 4-5 years where I've thought that.  Now if you're personal interest in football is about defensive stability and organisation you may have less concerns but for me passing the ball and creating chances are what I watch the game for and I saw us fail completely at both of those things yesterday.

Once again as well, the result was a good one in context but my issues are with the performance.  A referee performance like that would normally have had me infuriated (I've given all the reasons in the match thread I think) but yesterday it felt right for him to do it.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1160 on: October 31, 2016, 10:01:10 PM »
I'm reasonably happy with coming out of a game as big as that, whilst not playing that well and riding our luck a little at times, with a point and remaining unbeaten under Bruce in the process. I've seen us play a lot lot worse than we did yesterday.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1161 on: October 31, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »
And undefeated in nine league games against them.  The tide is indeed turning.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1162 on: October 31, 2016, 11:54:36 PM »
I'm reasonably happy with coming out of a game as big as that, whilst not playing that well and riding our luck a little at times, with a point and remaining unbeaten under Bruce in the process. I've seen us play a lot lot worse than we did yesterday.

Under RDM there were plenty of occasions where we played well enough to get something and got fuck all, mostly because we stopped playing on 85 minutes.

To play poorly and get more than we deserve is something I'm personally very happy indeed to see. About time.

8 points from the last 12 is - by our recent standards - unbelievably good, and those are the manager's first few games.

Pretty hard to say that's anything but an excellent start from Bruce.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1163 on: October 31, 2016, 11:59:20 PM »

No it's really not that I've failed to grasp anything.  I've quite clearly said that I know people may view it that way.  I personally judge it that bad because there was no point in the game where I thought we were going to even create a decent chance let alone score, I honestly can't think of more than a handful of games I've seen in the last 4-5 years where I've thought that.  Now if you're personal interest in football is about defensive stability and organisation you may have less concerns but for me passing the ball and creating chances are what I watch the game for and I saw us fail completely at both of those things yesterday.

Once again as well, the result was a good one in context but my issues are with the performance.  A referee performance like that would normally have had me infuriated (I've given all the reasons in the match thread I think) but yesterday it felt right for him to do it.

It was not great, I think most of us would accept that, but one encouraging thing for me was at least there seemed to be some kind of semblance of a formation and a way of playing.  Not pretty, I accept that and I don't think the personnel was quite right yesterday, but I do think there is something there to build on. 

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1164 on: November 01, 2016, 12:02:06 AM »
its is a good points total and yeah plenty of good teams grind out a result now and then and generally play below par but get something from a game. I just wonder if you can get promoted doing just that

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1165 on: November 01, 2016, 12:04:35 AM »
its is a good points total and yeah plenty of good teams grind out a result now and then and generally play below par but get something from a game. I just wonder if you can get promoted doing just that

That's almost exactly what Bruce did in his last Hull promotion (brother in law Hull fan tells me).

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1166 on: November 01, 2016, 12:09:09 AM »

That's almost exactly what Bruce did in his last Hull promotion (brother in law Hull fan tells me).

Well i'll take your word for it. Gonna be a dire season if that's the case. The first team promoted that doesn't get above 50% possession in a game the whole season?

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1167 on: November 01, 2016, 12:09:55 AM »

Since you've already said it's Steve Bruce's way of playing and isn't going to change, and since he's already been promoted four times from this division, isn't the logical answer based on your own comments 'yes'?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1168 on: November 01, 2016, 12:11:57 AM »

Since you've already said it's Steve Bruce's way of playing and isn't going to change, and since he's already been promoted four times from this division, isn't the logical answer based on your own comments 'yes'?

well i do realise you like shitty football. some of us don't, thats all. Doesn't make us bad people

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1169 on: November 01, 2016, 12:13:20 AM »

well i do realise you like shitty football. some of us don't, thats all. Doesn't make us bad people

So 'yes' then? Since you've decided to attack me with a rather daft comment rather than answer my question.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal