collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396564 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1125 on: October 31, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »
Leicester's Premier League win was based on luck then?

No, that's cherry-picking in the extreme, they were lucky with injuries though, that's undeniable.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1126 on: October 31, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
Can't really see what some are getting uptight about.  Of course, you don't win anything by continuously playing badly, but Bruce is averaging 2 points a game with a team that's got a poor midfield, iffy back 4 and strikers that don't score that often. 

That doesn't sound like tactical naievety and it never does any harm at all to get something out of a game when you're second best.

I'm not getting uptight, I'm saying that we played very poorly yesterday and for some reason a few people seem to have decided that I can't possibly be allowed to have that opinion because we won the 2 games before.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1127 on: October 31, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »

No, that's cherry-picking in the extreme, they were lucky with injuries though, that's undeniable.

And they benefitted from a "special set of circumstances" in terms of how more fancied teams fared last season? wasn't that what people said about our league win? that we were lucky with injuries and lucky that Liverpool and Ipswich had an off season.

« Reply #1128 on: October 31, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
Can't really see what some are getting uptight about.  Of course, you don't win anything by continuously playing badly, but Bruce is averaging 2 points a game with a team that's got a poor midfield, iffy back 4 and strikers that don't score that often. 

That doesn't sound like tactical naievety and it never does any harm at all to get something out of a game when you're second best.

I'm not getting uptight, I'm saying that we played very poorly yesterday and for some reason a few people seem to have decided that I can't possibly be allowed to have that opinion because we won the 2 games before.

Wouldn't dare to speak for anyone else on this site, but I got the impression that most people have been questioning your "worst game for 4-5 years" claim? and as entitled to that opinion as you are, others are equally entitled to question it

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1129 on: October 31, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »
Please spare us the "Am I not allowed an opinion?" bollocks.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1130 on: October 31, 2016, 04:19:13 PM »

And they benefitted from a "special set of circumstances" in terms of how more fancied teams fared last season? wasn't that what people said about our league win? that we were lucky with injuries and lucky that Liverpool and Ipswich had an off season.

I don't know, I was 2 years old, but do you deny that Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd all performed below expectations last season?  Liverpool are slightly different but this season I suspect they'll finish above them.  Arsenal, as I said, did what they do which is look good in spells but bottle it when they look like favourites.

Bookies don't often get things wrong and last year most of them had Leicester at ridiculous odds as everyone knows.  To suggest that there might be some explanation for that isn't really much of a stretch.  They played well and were incredibly consistent in taking 3 points from the weaker sides but they won it with 81 points which would only have been enough points to win the league in 2 other seasons since 2000, that suggests that a lot of teams were below par.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1131 on: October 31, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »
Basically any examples of teams winning something by playing a style of play that sees them having less possession than the opposition doesn't count because it was a long time ago or they were lucky with injuries?

It was a poor game yesterday but nowhere near one of the worst performances of the last 5 years.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1132 on: October 31, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »
Fuck it I give up, yesterday's performance was perfect and hoofball is the way of the future.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1133 on: October 31, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »

I said on here when they won the league that they reminded me of us, to the extent that they would have an indifferent league season and do really well in the CL.........

« Reply #1134 on: October 31, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
Fuck it I give up, yesterday's performance was perfect and hoofball is the way of the future.

Ya big babby

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1135 on: October 31, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »

Ya big babby

May as well be seeing as apparently 48% pass completion and 1 shot on target is nothing to be worried about because we didn't lose and besides we're Leicester waiting to happen dontcha know.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1136 on: October 31, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »

I said on here when they won the league that they reminded me of us, to the extent that they would have an indifferent league season and do really well in the CL.........
And they lost to a newly promoted team in their first game!  F*ck it, I've just put a fiver on them to win the European Cup.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1137 on: October 31, 2016, 04:29:46 PM »

Ya big babby

May as well be seeing as apparently 48% pass completion and 1 shot on target is nothing to be worried about because we didn't lose and besides we're Leicester waiting to happen dontcha know.

Nobody has suggested that though.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #1138 on: October 31, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
I always think its the sign of a good side that can play poorly and still get a ' result'.

Yesterday we were very poor

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1139 on: October 31, 2016, 04:55:59 PM »
Yesterday was a local derby. I don't think too many of the rest of games will be like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal