collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396586 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #1065 on: October 30, 2016, 11:35:26 PM »
I'm not sure why there would be a clamour for possession like Reading or Fulham had. Square balls along their back line and in their final third while they struggle to beat the press, especially in the second half.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1066 on: October 30, 2016, 11:37:01 PM »
its's simple. you don't tend to win a league constantly playing badly and winning. Please point me to a team who played arse all season according to their fans and won the league. At some point they played well, no? If you think we've run over the opposition in the last 4 games by somehow giving them all the possession  and letting them miss open goals and putting our one chance in, then indeed Bruce is a genius.
Mourinho has made a career out of grinding out results without much style and he's won titles almost every club he's managed (until now, tee hee, ha ha, chortle, etc).

We're going to play better under Bruce, but if he's got an ability to grind out results when we're not playing particularly well then he's doing alright.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1067 on: October 30, 2016, 11:37:30 PM »
I'm not sure why there would be a clamour for possession like Reading or Fulham had. Square balls along their back line and in their final third while they struggle to beat the press, especially in the second half.
And they both created next to nothing against us.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1068 on: October 30, 2016, 11:42:38 PM »

We do need to be careful though as allowing the opposition constant possession eventually means they actually score a goal as we saw today and indeed at Reading and all the other places we've let in late goals.

My opinion though is Steve Bruce wants to get points on the board to build confidence which we're doing and once we get in the top 6 or closer to it we'll see a better style as indeed his other promotions were as he hasn't got other teams up at this level on 30% possession.

It's a pragmatic approach but I think pretty common sense considering the state we were in when he arrived.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1069 on: October 30, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »
I think we are becoming a tough nut to crack for teams. Thats a good start for me.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1070 on: October 31, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »
its's simple. you don't tend to win a league constantly playing badly and winning. Please point me to a team who played arse all season according to their fans and won the league. At some point they played well, no? If you think we've run over the opposition in the last 4 games by somehow giving them all the possession  and letting them miss open goals and putting our one chance in, then indeed Bruce is a genius.
Mourinho has made a career out of grinding out results without much style and he's won titles almost every club he's managed (until now, tee hee, ha ha, chortle, etc).

We're going to play better under Bruce, but if he's got an ability to grind out results when we're not playing particularly well then he's doing alright.

Without agreeing with him I think what sicko is trying to say is grinding out results when you have an off day and intentionally playing a fairly turgid brand of football that grinds out results aren't the same thing.

I thought we were awful today, right up there with the worst performances we've seen in the last 4-5 years, I know you have to account for the occasion and the fact that the result was probably a decent one but you can't ignore just how badly we played.  The one that really upset me was that Shotton was taking great delight to jumping into the back of Kodjia and at no point did we decide to change things up instead we just kept lumping in up there and we're going to have a very bruised striker in training as a result.  That lack of awareness worries me.  I also notice that he used the "throw on loads of strikers to look like we're going for it" tactic and seems to have largely got away with it (in terms of criticism) unlike when RDM tried it.

My concern is that we've now had 2 televised games under Bruce and in both of them we're clung on for a point after being run ragged for the 2nd half and in both of them he hasn't seemed able to do anything about it.  Against Wolves he got a pass because 2 injuries and only a day with the players makes it tough but today suggested 'sneak a goal and hang on' was the tactic.  If this is a holding pattern until January then fair enough, if we play like this in February then it starts to look worrying.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1071 on: October 31, 2016, 12:19:34 AM »
This thread is absolutely ridiculous.

Did I seriously just read that today was on of the worst games in the last 4-5 years?!

Support the guy, plain and simple. Some people..  ???

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1072 on: October 31, 2016, 12:19:47 AM »
The second half was nowhere near as bad as the second half against Wolves. We started the half ok then Hutton messed up a basic pass that put them in and then after that it got their fans up and they got momentum from it.

I thought Jedinak was really good.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1073 on: October 31, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »

Did I seriously just read that today was on of the worst games in the last 4-5 years?!

Yes, we got a point against a really shit blues side because Donaldson missed an absolute sitter and we didn't look like ever creating a chance in open play.

There's a difference between not supporting someone and pointing out a poor performance, today we were awful because we looked as if we were happy to have scored and just wanted to hang on.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1074 on: October 31, 2016, 01:49:10 AM »

Yes, we got a point against a really shit blues side because Donaldson missed an absolute sitter and we didn't look like ever creating a chance in open play.

There's a difference between not supporting someone and pointing out a poor performance, today we were awful because we looked as if we were happy to have scored and just wanted to hang on.

You said one of the worst performances in the last 5 years though.

Where have you been?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1075 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:21 AM »
Happy with a point. Thought it would be 1-1. Let's just move on now.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1076 on: October 31, 2016, 05:59:48 AM »
It wasn't one of our worst performances in the last few years, that's crazy

But I was disappointed that we stopped playing at 1-0. We need to find a way of getting more control of games. Buying a better central midfielder in January would really help

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1077 on: October 31, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »

Without agreeing with him I think what sicko is trying to say is grinding out results when you have an off day and intentionally playing a fairly turgid brand of football that grinds out results aren't the same thing.

I thought we were awful today, right up there with the worst performances we've seen in the last 4-5 years, I know you have to account for the occasion and the fact that the result was probably a decent one but you can't ignore just how badly we played.  The one that really upset me was that Shotton was taking great delight to jumping into the back of Kodjia and at no point did we decide to change things up instead we just kept lumping in up there and we're going to have a very bruised striker in training as a result.  That lack of awareness worries me.  I also notice that he used the "throw on loads of strikers to look like we're going for it" tactic and seems to have largely got away with it (in terms of criticism) unlike when RDM tried it.

My concern is that we've now had 2 televised games under Bruce and in both of them we're clung on for a point after being run ragged for the 2nd half and in both of them he hasn't seemed able to do anything about it.  Against Wolves he got a pass because 2 injuries and only a day with the players makes it tough but today suggested 'sneak a goal and hang on' was the tactic.  If this is a holding pattern until January then fair enough, if we play like this in February then it starts to look worrying.

Even when we were leading, it looked like we were playing for a draw.

The goal should have opened the game up. They had to come at us and -even if you don't dominate possession (which would prob be the norm for many sides away from home) you have maximise the bit you get. Quick interchanges, set the wide players away and get in behind them.  We have the players to hurt any side in this league.  But we were dismal in possession, so even a side as limited as B-lose had little to worry about.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1078 on: October 31, 2016, 08:39:31 AM »
Have we sacked him yet?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #1079 on: October 31, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
Have we sacked him yet?

If he doesn't win at least two games by lunchtime then I think he's out