collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:43:24 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:40:29 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Forge10
[Today at 08:38:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by ASHTONVILLA
[Today at 08:37:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 08:37:32 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Skerra
[Today at 08:35:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Skerra
[Today at 08:33:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396522 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #945 on: October 28, 2016, 10:26:08 PM »
He'll be judged like everyone else on results but he comes across as a very solid and pleasant man.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #946 on: October 28, 2016, 10:58:13 PM »
Can't wait to sing "Brucie Brucie give us a wave" when we're 3-0 up on Sunday.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #947 on: October 28, 2016, 11:10:47 PM »
I think Bruce has been class so far and long may it continue. He does not come across as aloof, seems to have got the players on board straight away and love the way he takes the piss out of himself. He will accept the obvious stick on Sunday, but am sure he will act with dignity when we have beaten them 3-0 at the end.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #948 on: October 29, 2016, 03:56:59 AM »
"I am sure they re going to be singing my name from the rafters, both sets of fans."

Class answer to be fair. 

Very likeable and grounded bloke. I hope he does well with us.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #949 on: October 29, 2016, 04:34:57 AM »
So far, the difference between Bruce and most of our previous managers going back, is that he's still somehow an absolute football tragic.

Watch his reaction in a press conference a couple years back to a Wayne Rooney goal scored elsewhere, he clearly still loves the game having being mostly involved in it since the early 80's. This is not necessarily a recipe for a good boss but we know exactly what we're getting with this man, I cannot see him ending up like many of the charlatans we've had over previous years. Has been very good for the club so far on and off the pitch.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #950 on: October 29, 2016, 08:58:49 AM »
So far, the difference between Bruce and most of our previous managers going back, is that he's still somehow an absolute football tragic.

Watch his reaction in a press conference a couple years back to a Wayne Rooney goal scored elsewhere, he clearly still loves the game having being mostly involved in it since the early 80's. This is not necessarily a recipe for a good boss but we know exactly what we're getting with this man, I cannot see him ending up like many of the charlatans we've had over previous years. Has been very good for the club so far on and off the pitch.

He said in a interview the other week that this was the first summer since 1976 he hadn't been involved in pre-season training.

Offline claret+blue ed

« Reply #951 on: October 29, 2016, 09:14:04 AM »
Very impressed so far with everything he's said and done, come across really well, more importantly 7 out of 9 points and hopefully 3 more tomorrow

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #952 on: October 29, 2016, 07:51:58 PM »
He's the manager we should have had 5-6 years ago

Offline supertom

« Reply #953 on: October 29, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
Safe pair of hands is Brucie. We've turned our noses up over the past few years upon every link, including over the summer gone, but it's remarkable how a shit start to the Championship season can suddenly make many of us wake up and smell what we're stood in. I've always quite liked Bruce, but I was also one of many who didn't want to go for him, on the basis of him not being "Villa level." But we have to be realistic really. At any point during the last 3-4 years he'd have been a decent appointment. In May he'd have been an excellent appointment to be honest. He's definitely the right man. In retrospect it should have been sooner.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #954 on: October 29, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »
Completely agree Tom.

I have reservations about him in the prem but let him lead us there first and then we can debate.

He'll certainly win us promotion. If he can do it elsewhere he can do it here.

I think this season is a bit of a free hit still with all the points we've dropped but I have confidence he'll lead us to play offs now.

If we don't make it I fully expect him to get us up the following year in the automatic spots.

He's the right man for us as it stands.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #955 on: October 29, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
Isn't the plan to sack him when he leads us to the promised land of the Big League and replace him with the Huddersfield manager to prove what a progressive club we are?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #956 on: October 29, 2016, 09:16:13 PM »
Isn't the plan to sack him when he leads us to the promised land of the Big League and replace him with the Huddersfield manager to prove what a progressive club we are?

Steve Bruce's premier league record is open to debate.

He's lead clubs to impressive finishes (SHA and Hull) and also lead clubs to relegation after spending to try to improve them (errr SHA and Hull).

He was leading Sunderland in the same direction when they sacked him in December 2011.

As it stands I'd be happy to give him the first season back in the prem and then assess the next summer as I'd expect him with further investment to keep the club comfortably up.

How is that progressive club Southampton these days doing after they sacked promotion winning Adkins and got in some unknown called Pochettino...are they back in league one yet....

That's not to say I'm anti Bruce. In our present state he's very much the right man for this season and next.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #957 on: October 29, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »

As it stands I'd be happy to give him the first season back in the prem and then assess the next summer as I'd expect him with further investment to keep the club comfortably up.

How is that progressive club Southampton these days doing after they sacked promotion winning Adkins and got in some unknown called Pochettino...are they back in league one yet....

That's not to say I'm anti Bruce. In our present state he's very much the right man for this season and next.

Quite.

Nobody is saying he should be sacked on the day we get promotion and someone foreign brought in.

But nor should he be left to stagnate or have the perennial "he just needs more time" if we're sitting in 18th place, just because he was the one who got us promoted.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #958 on: October 29, 2016, 10:05:06 PM »
I'm fairly sure there were people who were that underwhelmed by his appointment that they suggested that should we get promoted he should be thanked and replaced with somebody who doesn't have a relegation on their CV. They were probably the same people who had such faith in the Huddersfield manager who had probably never heard of him until a few weeks ago.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #959 on: October 29, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »
I'm fairly sure there were people who were that underwhelmed by his appointment that they suggested that should we get promoted he should be thanked and replaced with somebody who doesn't have a relegation on their CV. They were probably the same people who had such faith in the Huddersfield manager who had probably never heard of him until a few weeks ago.

Actually I think most of the people who said that are people who wanted him and when we raised the fact that his premier league record is a worry and he's got no record for building a club we were told that we could sack him once we got up.  I, as one of the people with concerns, said all along that was unrealistic and that he will get at least half of the first season back and will only be sacked if he's made such a mess of things that we're in a relegation battle.  The best case scenario for me is that he gets us up this season, buys good young-ish players next summer and manages to get us midtable.  We can then let him go before the following summer and go for someone to push us on.  I think he can deliver on the first part of that (and I've said so fairly consistently, I expect him to get us around the playoffs at worst) but next summer is where my concerns will be addressed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal