collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396575 times)

Offline Old Kodjia

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #930 on: October 25, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »
Bruce is the right manager for the time and place we are in

If we were mid table in the Top League wanting to push on I wouldn't give him the gig. I'll be happy if that is where he leaves us at the end of 2018-19.

This for me as well.  Let's worry about the PL when we are there.

I was impressed that Bruce has asked for a longer contract than the one he was offered and I genuinely believe that he wants to build something here.

I don't place too much on his previous signings because I think that the budgets he was working under were entirely different to the budget that Villa would allow him.  If he does well here and gets us up within two seasons, I would have no issues in giving him a stab at the PL.  In fact, I'd be slightly disappointed if he wasn't.

I think you've misinterpreted why football managers want long contracts.

No-I don't think I have.

He genuinely sees this as his big job.  It's unlikely to get bigger for him unless we're successful beyond our hopes and aspirations.

He wants the opportunity to be able to build something here, not simply get us up and then get cast aside for a more glamorous name.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #931 on: October 25, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
I hope that's the case, and not the lure of the massive payouts we seem to have incurred for mediocre manager after manager

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #932 on: October 25, 2016, 03:14:23 PM »
I hope that's the case, and not the lure of the massive payouts we seem to have incurred for mediocre manager after manager

With hindsight, very few managers turn out to be a success.

Bruce was happy to walk away from Hull in the Summer out of principle.  Until I see evidence to the contrary, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #933 on: October 25, 2016, 03:29:12 PM »
That is a really good point.  At the end of the season in the premier league, there will be 3 or 4 sets of fans that will be delighted on the season, 1 that won it, 1 that broke into Europe and 1 that didn't get relegated.  There will be an air of disappointment around otherwise.  I hold my hands up, I really wanted Moyes here, since before Sherwood arrived and it doesn't look like he can rescue a bad team, so likely wouldn't have made any difference to our plight. 

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #934 on: October 25, 2016, 03:39:07 PM »
That is a really good point.  At the end of the season in the premier league, there will be 3 or 4 sets of fans that will be delighted on the season, 1 that won it, 1 that broke into Europe and 1 that didn't get relegated.  There will be an air of disappointment around otherwise.  I hold my hands up, I really wanted Moyes here, since before Sherwood arrived and it doesn't look like he can rescue a bad team, so likely wouldn't have made any difference to our plight.

I was also quite keen on Moyes (although equally keen on Bruce).  I think nearly all of us agree now that we've dodged a bullet there. 

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #935 on: October 25, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »
I'm now glad we got Bruce in when we did, given Wolves sacking Zenga, surely they would have gone for him....

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #936 on: October 25, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
I'm now glad we got Bruce in when we did, given Wolves sacking Zenga, surely they would have gone for him....

They wanted Bruce in the summer but the fans were against it.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #937 on: October 25, 2016, 04:53:36 PM »

I hope Dwight Yorke finally gets his chance at Wolves.  I really do...

Online oldhill_avfc

« Reply #938 on: October 25, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Bruce is the right manager for the time and place we are in

If we were mid table in the Top League wanting to push on I wouldn't give him the gig. I'll be happy if that is where he leaves us at the end of 2018-19.

This for me as well.  Let's worry about the PL when we are there.

I was impressed that Bruce has asked for a longer contract than the one he was offered and I genuinely believe that he wants to build something here.

I don't place too much on his previous signings because I think that the budgets he was working under were entirely different to the budget that Villa would allow him.  If he does well here and gets us up within two seasons, I would have no issues in giving him a stab at the PL.  In fact, I'd be slightly disappointed if he wasn't.

I think you've misinterpreted why football managers want long contracts.

No-I don't think I have.

He genuinely sees this as his big job.  It's unlikely to get bigger for him unless we're successful beyond our hopes and aspirations.

He wants the opportunity to be able to build something here, not simply get us up and then get cast aside for a more glamorous name.

I admire your lack of cynicism but I suspect it was more to do with the amount of payoff if/when he gets sacked.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #939 on: October 25, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »

He's busy texting as we speak

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #940 on: October 25, 2016, 06:17:44 PM »
Sherwood for Wolves, would be perfect.
They'd be lucky to have him if you ask knobs like Jenas.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #941 on: October 25, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »
Well RDM lives locally and only pops down to London twice a week so he would be ideal for the being a former Champions League winner.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #942 on: October 25, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »

He's busy texting as we speak

he has learnt by his mistakes

he has used a couple of emojis and started his sentence with a capital letter. albeit the wrong one

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #943 on: October 25, 2016, 07:27:57 PM »
Sherwood for Wolves, would be perfect.
They'd be lucky to have him if you ask knobs like Jenas.

"JJ" - twat

Offline jwarry

« Reply #944 on: October 28, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
Just listened to his Scum briefing and have to say he really does come across as a man quietly in control.  Love the bit where he says at least his mom thinks he's good looking 😂

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal