collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:36:52 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:36:47 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Forge10
[Today at 09:35:47 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:35:33 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:33:26 PM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 09:32:46 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:31:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396576 times)

Offline clash city rocker

Re: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed
« Reply #870 on: October 23, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
Could Steve Bruce become the modern day Ron Saunders.. Be fucking ace if he could.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #871 on: October 23, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
I agree. There is also a greater sense of calmness and certainty with Bruce. He's been doing this for a while, and at this level he's seen and done it and been successful. He knows the area, the club and fans and he seems genuinely privileged to manage us. It will very likely be the biggest club he'll ever manage.

Agreed

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #872 on: October 23, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »
I think the January signings will be interesting, maybe not who we want but players who are brought in to do a job, get us promoted.

I've more faith in Bruce in the transfer market than most of our managers since Pubehead. He seems to be able to identify what we need pretty quickly, although most of us could have told him. Two wins make a huge difference and I'm cautiously optimistic. That is something I've not felt for several seasons.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #873 on: October 23, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »
I'm really happy with this.  I wasn't adverse to him joining in the Summer and wanted him as soon as I heard RDM had left.

I think we all see (and accept) that it isn't going to be the most exciting style football that we play under Bruce.  However, Whilst we are challenging, the result is of paramount importance.  How many left VP yesterday, disappointed or upset with the game played (which let's be honest, wasn't the best)?  Every game is like a cup tie.  Notts Forest at home was a game for the purist, lots of flowing football and chance after chance created yet only one point at the end to show for it.  Fulham wasn't great, first half especially yet we came away with all three points and certainly the conversations I heard around me, walking away from VP suggested that everyone was happy.

Overall, it's been a fantastic start.  Yes, the football hasn't been the best and yes, we'd all probably have picked different starting line ups but generally it has been as good as we could have hoped for.

I'm concerned that we're starting with Gestede, especially if he's playing up front on his own because he simply isn't mobile enough and the only option players have is to lump it up high to him.  I know Kodjia doesn't look great in the air but he puts himself about and I'd really like to see him as the striker and a slightly different approach to attacks.

A bit of momentum here and I can see us being a really solid, workman like team, hard to break down and with the quality up front to cause damage. 

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #874 on: October 23, 2016, 03:18:57 PM »
Anyone see him on the OS's 'dug out cam' when the goal goes in? First thing he does is turn around to the bench and tell Westwood to get ready... he didn't even manage that quickly. Presumably when asked he just pointed at the pitch.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #875 on: October 23, 2016, 03:22:23 PM »
Could Steve Bruce become the modern day Ron Saunders.. Be fucking ace if he could.

It would be amazing and I'll be amazed if I'm amazed ;-)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #876 on: October 23, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
Well it's really up to him now. For a while Bruce my have been frustrated that all his previous managerial jobs were with clubs lacking resources for  him to progress to great manager at top level. Now there is no excuse so let's see what  he is made off.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #877 on: October 23, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if he went for someone like Huddlestone.

I've never rated him a huge amount but he can sit infront of the back 4 and control things when he feels like it so would be a vast upgrade on Westwood.

Hull are getting relegated so he'd probably fancy the move aswell as he's from the Midlands I think.

just google Steve Bruce signings in the last 5 years and you will see everything you need to know about the sort of players to expect come January,
still he's got 4 promotions on the back of them

Sack him now in that case. How long until you begrudgingly give him any credit John?

Does Google also mention the difference between trying to persuade players to join Hull City or Aston Villa, geographically, historically etc?

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #878 on: October 23, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »
"Could Steve Bruce be the modern day Ron Saunders"
Thing is 95% of the fans wanted Brian cough not Ron Saunders according to the mail poll
Do you want to bet against it happening though

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #879 on: October 23, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
Thing is 95% of the fans wanted Brian cough not Ron Saunders according to the mail poll

Brian Cough would have been a good horse to back.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #880 on: October 23, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »

Brian Cough would have been a good horse to back.

He couldn't hack it.

Damn, I don't normally get involved.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #881 on: October 23, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »
The annoying thing is we wasted eleven games before getting him in. He's not glamorous, but he gets players motivated, he gets them to do simple things like defend well and has them organised.  For some reason Villa just seem to be one of those clubs that do better with traditional type British (except Scots and one on the list novice) managers.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:12:03 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline Diablo

« Reply #882 on: October 23, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
I know everyone is giddy but the only comparisons I see between the two managers at the moment are the two respective clubs on their respective cvs. I don't want to be a party pooper but as great a job as Bruce is doing (a week and a half in I think) it's extremely premature to even put Saunders and Bruce in the same sentence.  Get us promoted out of this division and then we can start.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #883 on: October 23, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »
Agree with Diablo.

It is three matches, that's all. That's doubtless a measure of how shit we had become, but can't we just enjoy two consecutive wins without the need for daft comparisons?

Let's just let him do his job and get us promoted.

As for the style of play, I'd go for us playing a flat back ten if it got us out of this horrible league quickly.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #884 on: October 23, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »
I honestly wouldn't mind two seasons in this league if it meant we could build something and stand a better chance of staying up. The games come thick and fast and we should be able to win our fair share

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal