collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Bruce - officially confirmed (as Sheffield Wednesday boss)  (Read 396917 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: Steve Bruce
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
Or maybe a couple of days for him to plan and get his ideas in order is of more use? Either way, a couple of days here or there makes little or no difference.

Well, sure he'll need to plan, but to plan he'll need information. He'll need to know fitness levels and injuries, he'll need to know if a first team player can perform in a new role, or if they lack the flexibility, he'll need to know if a squad player can do that role. To know that, he'll need to speak to coaches and doctors and players, surely?

The more time Bruce has to work with your team before each fixture, the better? Or are you writing the Wolves game off?

What I'm saying is that a couple of days will make very little difference. Not 'no difference' but 'very little difference'. Especially as most of the players who he would want to work with wouldn't have been there. There's little point in him knowing the fitness levels and injuries of the players before they went on international duty, is there?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
On a long enough timeline, we have to stop getting worse, and start getting better. It feels like we've been getting worse for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's time.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
Any official time of press release or press conference from club or are we awaiting the official Dr tweet ?

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »
It will either work or it wont. No-one can say for sure. A lot of us on here were delighted with Lambert and a lot of us thought RDM had a good track record. Unfortunately, a lot of us were mistaken. There is something deeply wrong at the heart of Aston Villa and I don't feel it can be addressed just by bringing in another new manager. I'm still trying to put my finger on what it is though.

I'm slightly underwhelmed but still retain a little bit of hope.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
Or maybe a couple of days for him to plan and get his ideas in order is of more use? Either way, a couple of days here or there makes little or no difference.

Well, sure he'll need to plan, but to plan he'll need information. He'll need to know fitness levels and injuries, he'll need to know if a first team player can perform in a new role, or if they lack the flexibility, he'll need to know if a squad player can do that role. To know that, he'll need to speak to coaches and doctors and players, surely?

The more time Bruce has to work with your team before each fixture, the better? Or are you writing the Wolves game off?

What I'm saying is that a couple of days will make very little difference. Not 'no difference' but 'very little difference'. Especially as most of the players who he would want to work with wouldn't have been there. There's little point in him knowing the fitness levels and injuries of the players before they went on international duty, is there?

It's more important to do the 'due diligence' and make the right appointment, than it is to rush the wrong person into the role so he can have a couple of extra days with the players. I expect the club have done their research, and a few days here or there won't make much difference if we have the right man.

Offline Tony Daleys Shorts

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »
Pleased with this. Think he talks more sense than most, has 4 promotions from this league, hence absolutely knows what it takes to do so again, you would hope. Let's just stop the rot and start winning more than we lose and see where it takes us.

The nose link is a bonus, he's one of the few figures in their appalling history they can look back on with any warmth, now they have to hate him, and it's going to piss them off.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »
With respect, I think McLeish comparisons are unfounded. McLeish achieved one promotion to Bruce's four, and Blues aside (which was fifty-fifty) has been an abject failure everywhere he's been, while playing GODAWFUL football. Bruce's isn't great but it ain't as dour as TSM1's. The stats don't lie.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »
Boooo. Garbage appointment. Uninspiring, stone age hoof ball on the way. Not impressed with Tony and his team regarding this.

I very much hope I'm painfully wrong. And am mocked mercilessly as he lifts the Premier League title in a few years.

Best of luck, Steve. Despite my feelings, I will get behind you and the team. Just please don't play Agtwatlahor, the bad Santa etc etc.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »
It will either work or it wont. No-one can say for sure. A lot of us on here were delighted with Lambert and a lot of us thought RDM had a good track record. Unfortunately, a lot of us were mistaken. There is something deeply wrong at the heart of Aston Villa and I don't feel it can be addressed just by bringing in another new manager. I'm still trying to put my finger on what it is though.

I'm slightly underwhelmed but still retain a little bit of hope.

That's my sentiment. Although I knew Sherwood was a total bellend

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
What time is news release on Bruce? It is getting late in HK and brother wants to know before goes out for supper..

Offline The Fish

« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2016, 11:29:22 AM »
Well, as you said, not all of your 1st team squad are away on International duty so surely every day spent with them is valuable? I know Rafa Benitez had double sessions with the Newcastle squad members who weren't representing their countries, and that's a squad he knows inside and out.

It's more important to do the 'due diligence' and make the right appointment, than it is to rush the wrong person into the role so he can have a couple of extra days with the players. I expect the club have done their research, and a few days here or there won't make much difference if we have the right man.

I'd argue that due diligence on a manager takes far less time to get right than; assessing what's wrong, assessing what's right, formulating a plan to see more of the latter and less of the former, creating coaching sessions to allow for the execution of that plan, and putting players through those sessions.

An extra day's due diligence is not worth as much as an extra day on the training field.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
Pat Murphy has confirmed it is Bruce. We need a sensible appointment now and Steve Bruce is a very experienced sensible appointment.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
It's like the night before Christmas but knowing you'll be unwrapping The Very Best of Coldplay and a second hand copy of The Da Vinci Code in the morning.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »
Satisfied with the appointment rather than thrilled. Confident he'll improve us, although that isn't hard to do!, just a case of whether he can improve us enough.

Depressing stat time, Bruce won 24 league games last season, we've won 24 in the last three and a quarter seasons.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »
It's like the night before Christmas but knowing you'll be unwrapping The Very Best of Coldplay and a second hand copy of The Da Vinci Code in the morning.

Or a pair of socks.

You know you need them, you know they'll do the job and keep your feet warm but you can't help wishing for something a bit more exciting.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal