collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Preston Away  (Read 10072 times)

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
Preston Away
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:47:59 AM »
This is  alocal game for me - firt time since I was 18!

Anyway 5600 are coming up - I assume some on here will be so i thought Id give you a beer guide for central Preston for those coming by train!

(There are few pubs around Deepdale which is a sh**hole area but I think there in one called the Sumners whuich I assume will be for home supporters)

Anyway the rail station is bang in the middle of Preston.  Deepedale is abvout a 15 minute walk or youy can walk up to the Bus station and get a number 6 or 9 bus (stand 16,17 and 21) that will take you to the ground in 10 minutes (£1.60 single).

Anyway pubs (not exclusive):

Fishergate:

Old Vic (right opposite the station) - some decent local ales
12 Tellers (old Bank) - lots of standard beers plus guest ales and lager.
Yates -usual cheap fizzy stuff
 If you want cocktails!!! - Forum off Fishergate
Fishers - standard beers ands lagers plus food.
Friargate:

The Old Black Bull - excellent for small brewery beers
The Black Horse - again some good guest beers
Greyfriars - opposite the Old Black Bull. Chepa fizzy stuff and cheap food.

For food - usual Greggs up Fishergate, Pizza Express near Forum, MacDonalds on Friargate and of cours emost pubs will do some grub!!

I'll be in the 12 tellers from midday with my son (and a PNE supporting friend) supping Erdinger.

Enjoy and UTV!!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:56:11 AM by preston28 »

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: Preston Away
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
Thanks - Have been to Deepdale many times but it is usually a straight drive there and back so we have very little local knowledge these days despite it being the other half's team. We are doing this one by train as a Villa away day with just Mr Amf in The Alan Kelly with his own kind so it'll be a very different trip.

Went to see Preston last night at Blues and I have to say the game was low on quality but high in effort. Neither side gave up until the final whistle blew, which could be very bad news for us in both of these upcoming games.

Offline preston28

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »
Thanks - Have been to Deepdale many times but it is usually a straight drive there and back so we have very little local knowledge these days despite it being the other half's team. We are doing this one by train as a Villa away day with just Mr Amf in The Alan Kelly with his own kind so it'll be a very different trip.

Went to see Preston last night at Blues and I have to say the game was low on quality but high in effort. Neither side gave up until the final whistle blew, which could be very bad news for us in both of these upcoming games.

Excelllent. Just remember to leave the station and turn right not left!  Then you'll be on Fishergate!

Offline Laurence

• Exiled in Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:47:13 PM »
It's my local game too and I'm looking forward to it.  Will try to pop into the 12 Tellers to say hello after picking up Brummie friends from the station.

Re pubs, a couple to add for real ale fans:
Guild Ale House - 56 Lancaster Rd, Preston PR1 1DD.   Recently opened shop conversion with great real ale.  Decor a little bit loud.

Continental - South Meadow Lane, Preston PR1 8JP.   Great, albeit busy pub with a fine selection of real ale and nice food.  A little out from the center, but a nice walk from the centre of town via Chapel Street/Winckley square takes you down through Avenham Park (bear right).  The park walk is pleasant, overlooking the Ribble.  You may choose to walk the other way, left from the main station entrance but that's a little grotty. 

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
I live near Preston (just across the Ribble in Penwortham), and my in-laws and other half are PNE fans.

I was looking forwards to us drubbing them, and am taking two of my kids to their first Villa game on that basis.

Can't say I am feeling very confident at the moment, and will never hear the end of it if we get beaten.

Offline preston28

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
Blimey - Villa fans who live round the corner from me. I'm in new Longton!!

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
I live near Preston (just across the Ribble in Penwortham), and my in-laws and other half are PNE fans.

I was looking forwards to us drubbing them, and am taking two of my kids to their first Villa game on that basis.

Can't say I am feeling very confident at the moment, and will never hear the end of it if we get beaten.

I had my right toe smashed in once from a Yorker off their opening bowler at Penwortham. Needed an operation and everything. Not happy memories.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 01:18:28 PM »
I used to work in Lostock Hall so know Preston very well.

Oh and if anybody hears of a spare for the game let me know as I'm minded to get the boat over for the day.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 01:41:09 PM »
I only live in Bootle ha ha

Offline Laurence

• Exiled in Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »
Ashton, I was considering taking my eldest son, who's just turned seven, but he's a little shy and I thought Villa away might be a bit too much! He's been to Villa Park once.  Hope your kids enjoy it.

In the light of the recent wellbeing survey casting South Ribble residents as some of the most unhappy in the country.  The Venn diagram of South Ribble based, Middle aged (certainly I am), Male and Villa supporting must give us three special dispensation for 24 hour suicide watch grants. 

Offline preston28

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »
ha Ha . I saw that on the BBC website - we are the unhappiest peopel in the country. How many Villa fnas loiving here have skewed the data!

if you want my mobile number PM if your egoing to the 12 Tellers.

Risso - I can get you a ticket in the Preston stands or my sons friend works the gates at Deepdale - he may get you in for free??

Offline Risso

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »
ha Ha . I saw that on the BBC website - we are the unhappiest peopel in the country. How many Villa fnas loiving here have skewed the data!

if you want my mobile number PM if your egoing to the 12 Tellers.

Risso - I can get you a ticket in the Preston stands or my sons friend works the gates at Deepdale - he may get you in for free??

Cheers, ideally I'd have liked to be in with our lot if possible. Might try the ticket office for returns.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
The last time I went to Preston Willie Anderson scored.

Offline Risso

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
Last time I went was Preston v Carlisle in the early 90s, which Carlisle fans considered to be a local derby, despite being 90 miles away. A Carlisle player got sent off, but then ran back onto the pitch a few minutes later to chin the player who'd got him sent off.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »
Carlisle still hate Preston, which amuses/bemuses Preston fans in a similar way to Coventry and Leicester's hatred of us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal