collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony's Tweets  (Read 541518 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Tony's Tweets
« Reply #3435 on: September 11, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »
I don't altogether disagree with that but if you always stick by that notion then Alex Ferguson never gets the Man U job. Graham Taylor probably doesn't get the Villa job and there would be no point in trying to attract an Eddie Howe to become the next big thing. It really limits your pool of who is available.

Different times though, in the mid-late 80s the intensity of the media just wasn't there and the financial implications of an average season were nothing like as punishing so it was easier to give someone the time to grow into it and it was easier for someone inexperienced to settle down.

Look at how replacing Fergie went for Man U, Moyes was totally out of his depth because he had no idea how to handle the pressure of such a big club and he fucked it up big time.

If your team is a little more settled and you're just bringing in someone who knows the system and can jump right into it then the profile doesn't matter (Zidane at Real and Guardiola at Barca were both 'through the ranks') but there's a reason why the top clubs chase a very limited pool of managers and it's because those guys have proven themselves capable of handling the pressure.

Managing Everton should have been a good stepping stone for Moyes going to Man U. I think they gave up on him too quickly, which I felt was validated by how poorly Van Gaal did. I don't know that there is a perfect formula. Who is there in a reasonable sense is the right manager to take on Championship Aston Villa? It's a combination of big club, a perilous pitfall with sprinkling of immense opportunity. Finding that manager who can understand, absorb all of that and flourish is very challenging.

Indeed it is, which is why I find the idea that an unemployed bloke who live down the road became the clear favourite last time and why it upsets me that people like Pardew, Smith and Fat Sam would be the most likely replacements, it's just such a lazy approach to go after people like that.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3436 on: September 11, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
Well watching Sam Allardyce on Sky and he's just ruled himself out of any job. Says he spoke to the Palace chairman. Doesn't mean money and the right opportunity wouldnt turn his head.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #3437 on: September 11, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
Which is no surprise

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3438 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:27 PM »
Which is why you need someone who has managed a big club, with high expectations, for them to stand a chance.

Houllier managed Liverpool, Lyon and French national team so fitted that criteria comfortably yet chose to go down the DOL of downplaying things around the club.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3439 on: September 11, 2017, 07:53:46 PM »
Well watching Sam Allardyce on Sky and he's just ruled himself out of any job. Says he spoke to the Palace chairman. Doesn't mean money and the right opportunity wouldnt turn his head.
Allardyce won promotion 17 years ago through play offs other than that he has never won anything in his managerial career.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #3440 on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »
Think next one need to be a ex Villa player. For character and passion Olof Mellberg would be ideal.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3441 on: September 11, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »
Passion and character are nice to haves, what we need is someone who is tactically astute and not pathologically afraid of defeat.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #3442 on: September 11, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
Which is why you need someone who has managed a big club, with high expectations, for them to stand a chance.

Agree. No more blokes with potential or have done well with a minnow for a few years. I'd we're willing to spend big money on players, then spend it on a manager that has had success, has personality, and will shake the club out of the doldrums.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #3443 on: September 11, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »
Allardyce won promotion 17 years ago through play offs other than that he has never won anything in his managerial career.

He also got West Ham promoted about 5 years ago. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, myself included, however the fact is we are currently a bottom half of the Championship club so cannot turn our nose up at Sam Allardyce.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #3444 on: September 11, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »

Houllier managed Liverpool, Lyon and French national team so fitted that criteria comfortably yet chose to go down the DOL of downplaying things around the club.

We also looked to be turning into a decent team with a very prolific striker.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3445 on: September 11, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
I don't altogether disagree with that but if you always stick by that notion then Alex Ferguson never gets the Man U job. Graham Taylor probably doesn't get the Villa job and there would be no point in trying to attract an Eddie Howe to become the next big thing. It really limits your pool of who is available.

Paul's post referred to clubs who were happy to bob along in mid table and avoid relegation. I don't think that description applies to an Aberdeen team who became the best team in Scotland and won two European trophies. SGT's Watford may have bobbed along in mid table for the four years before he left but before that they won three promotions and a second place finish in the top flight. Then got relegated as soon as he left.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #3446 on: September 11, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

We also looked to be turning into a decent team with a very prolific striker.

Said it countless times but I never subscribed to the theory we were destined for greatness under Ged if his heart hadn't briefly packed up.

A completely odd choice to replace MON and many have forgotten how poor many of our performances were that season with what was a pretty good squad still.

Even after signing Bent we had terrible games like losing at home to Wolves.

At least he had the right idea of trying to implement a more technical style but we should've just waited until a younger european coach had become available that season and keep McDonald as a caretaker until then.

As regards a manager who has managed several big clubs, is Roberto Mancini in a job atm? He's one of the few I can think of who would fulfil that criteria.

The trouble is though it is much either to make those appointments if you have premier league football on offer. We could then feasibly target the likes of him or Pellegrini as an ambitious appointment but until then I just don't see it happening.

Online The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #3447 on: September 11, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »
Seriously, how much worse could it get by sacking Bruce and appointing ANYBODY else? FFS, we need to get out of this shit league - upwards - any which way!
Another season of this mind-numbing bollocks and the club may as well call it a day.
Dr Tony - businessman or loser? Time to decide, this investment is going down the drain.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #3448 on: September 11, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »
The owner tweeted a few weeks back that September was going to be a key month. So I'd imagine SB is under no illusions he needs to pull his finger out and pick up some wins quick otherwise he'll be signing on like RDM was on the 1st October.

Online The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #3449 on: September 11, 2017, 09:34:17 PM »
Unless he's the new Lambert, waiting to be sacked and dragging our "once great club" down forever.
Because this has all the making of a Leeds, Sheff Wed or Portsmouth. We end up going down again, and all of a sudden 60k stadium are light years away.
A point a game for how long? Really?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal