collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony's Tweets  (Read 541608 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Tony's Tweets
« Reply #3000 on: September 03, 2017, 06:48:40 PM »
so he was at it then, in a sense, as he was the club's only shareholder?

He didn't take any of it out, if that's what you mean.

I will criticise Lerner for many, many things, and we will probably regret his ownership of the club for years to come, but one thing that you absolutely cannot accuse him of is using the club for personal enrichment.  Rarely has one man spent so much money, so very badly.  From memory, he took £7m out in the first year, but that came back in about 30 times over.  It's is fair to say that the Lerner family trust took one hell of a battering from Randy's time with us, as did the club of course.  A spectacular disaster all round.

Indeed. My favourite quote is that it would have been cheaper for him to hand over a £20 note to everyone who came through the turnstiles at every game played at Villa Park during his ownership.

Out of interest, how much did Randy's ownership cost him?

The exact figure varies according to who you talk to, but something approaching £200 million is generally reckoned to be not far off.

"A fool and his money......."

At least he put it into our club, even if it didnt work out.

"Didn't work out"!?

He took us out of The PL, after breaking nearly every unwanted record in Villa's near 150 year history!

I know he's not Doug Ellis, but do me a favour.

Of course it wasn't great but it' s done. He was very naive in running a football club. I don't hold a grudge though, it's happened..

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #3001 on: September 03, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
It's just ticked into September. We're writing off a lot of sides aren't we, including us it seems.

And on another thread, Glen Whelan. The lack of patience is staggering.

Yes, I think Whelan has generally done OK so far. I'm not sure what people were expecting, he was never going to be Iniesta.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3002 on: September 03, 2017, 07:04:04 PM »
It's just ticked into September. We're writing off a lot of sides aren't we, including us it seems.

Years of relegation struggles, relegation, failure to bounce straight back up, poor managerial appointments, poor signings, best players leaving, poor attitude and discipline, musical chairs at senior employee level and an up an down start to this season unfortunately mean that patience is in very short supply.

Yes, I think Whelan has generally done OK so far. I'm not sure what people were expecting, he was never going to be Iniesta.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3003 on: September 03, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
and yet again it's not about being impatient, how patient should we be with a 33 year old who we got in purely to get us promotion this season?  If he was 21-22 and was here with half an eye on building a squad for the premier league then it would be different but what is the point of gonig for experienced players if wehave to wait months for that experience to show, and by that time we're out of the running for the automatic spots.

If you want patience then you build something, if you make short-term signings, with a short-term manager and a short-term playing style then people have every right to be annoyed if it's not working.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #3004 on: September 03, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
Iniestas legs have got a little slower probably last season at Barca. I bet if we signed him we'd moan.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #3005 on: September 03, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »
and yet again it's not about being impatient, how patient should we be with a 33 year old who we got in purely to get us promotion this season?

More patient than 5 games is my answer.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #3006 on: September 03, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »
Sir Graham brought in the likes of Steve Sims and Mark Lillis to help us get back up. They came in to do a job just like Bruce hopes Whelan will.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #3007 on: September 03, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »
Sir Graham got us up in the first season.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3008 on: September 03, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

Whelan will be fine if used in the right role.  Playing him in a midfield two and expecting him to cover a lot of the pitch is not the right role.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #3009 on: September 03, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »

He had a full season. He didn't takeover a team in October with one win in it's first eleven.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #3010 on: September 03, 2017, 08:19:21 PM »

Whelan will be fine if used in the right role.  Playing him in a midfield two and expecting him to cover a lot of the pitch is not the right role.

He does generally play behind Hourihane and Onomah. I don't think he's ever played in a midfield two really.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3011 on: September 03, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
so he was at it then, in a sense, as he was the club's only shareholder?

He didn't take any of it out, if that's what you mean.

I will criticise Lerner for many, many things, and we will probably regret his ownership of the club for years to come, but one thing that you absolutely cannot accuse him of is using the club for personal enrichment.  Rarely has one man spent so much money, so very badly.  From memory, he took £7m out in the first year, but that came back in about 30 times over.  It's is fair to say that the Lerner family trust took one hell of a battering from Randy's time with us, as did the club of course.  A spectacular disaster all round.

Indeed. My favourite quote is that it would have been cheaper for him to hand over a £20 note to everyone who came through the turnstiles at every game played at Villa Park during his ownership.

Out of interest, how much did Randy's ownership cost him?

The exact figure varies according to who you talk to, but something approaching £200 million is generally reckoned to be not far off.

"A fool and his money......."

At least he put it into our club, even if it didnt work out.

"Didn't work out"!?

He took us out of The PL, after breaking nearly every unwanted record in Villa's near 150 year history!

I know he's not Doug Ellis, but do me a favour.

Of course it wasn't great but it' s done. He was very naive in running a football club. I don't hold a grudge though, it's happened..

Blimey, I'd love to know what would have to happen to our club for you to hold a grudge if what Lerner did to us didn't even register.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #3012 on: September 03, 2017, 08:23:50 PM »

He had a full season. He didn't takeover a team in October with one win in it's first eleven.

That's true. Perhaps he'd only have got us into the top six in those circumstances. I doubt we'd have finished in the bottom half of division two.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #3013 on: September 03, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »

That's true. Perhaps he'd only have got us into the top six in those circumstances. I doubt we'd have finished in the bottom half of division two.

We'll never know we?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3014 on: September 03, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »

Well first off I think Taylor was a far better manager than Bruce and secondly the club (in '87) wasn't in as big a mess as we were this time last year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal