collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:25:38 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[April 29, 2024, 11:45:39 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by villadelph
[Today at 12:33:50 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:25:38 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:24:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:14:40 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony's Tweets  (Read 541617 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Tony's Tweets
« Reply #1950 on: January 27, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
I don't think it will end in tears. How much worse could it be than what we've had to endure over the past six or so years? At the moment he's cutting through all the media bullshit, giving the fans a lift and showing a bit of personality into the bargain.

It's a new world now. Chairmen aren't local travel agents with a ten-year-old Bentley and a pork pie hat any more. Football has changed and the media has changed. He's shaping the narrative, and as we've all witnessed quite a lot in recent months, that's what matters most now. Besides, Tony's tweets are the very least of Villa's problems.

You could have said exactly the same in 2006. That's why it could - not will - end in tears.

No I couldn't. Hardly anybody knew what Twitter was then. If it ends in tears - and it might - it won't be because of Tony's tweets.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1951 on: January 27, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
There is no doubt Twitter can be a dangerous thing, but it is a sign of the times and quite honestly I feel proud we have a modern chairman and a leader who know what it takes to communicate.  It's a delicate balance but he has it off to a tee.  It might well end in tears but I'm with Jimbo in that it's what we (supporters) need right now

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #1952 on: January 27, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »
what a curmudgeon you are - it's brilliant that we have someone who actually communicates after years of being owned by the invisible man who joined a Trappist society

If it were David Sullivan tweeting some of the nonsense he's posted people would be quite rightly mocking him on here.

Whilst not a twitterer (is that the correct title?) Like everyone else I see when posters put up his utterings. Can't think off hand of any that have been nonsense, Chris. As others have said I think they keep the fans interested and are obviously the in way of doing this nowadays. Agree that he should not slag off players or the like though, that is the managers job if he feels it needs to be done.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1953 on: January 27, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
I don't think it will end in tears. How much worse could it be than what we've had to endure over the past six or so years? At the moment he's cutting through all the media bullshit, giving the fans a lift and showing a bit of personality into the bargain.

It's a new world now. Chairmen aren't local travel agents with a ten-year-old Bentley and a pork pie hat any more. Football has changed and the media has changed. He's shaping the narrative, and as we've all witnessed quite a lot in recent months, that's what matters most now. Besides, Tony's tweets are the very least of Villa's problems.

You could have said exactly the same in 2006. That's why it could - not will - end in tears.

No I couldn't. Hardly anybody knew what Twitter was then. If it ends in tears - and it might - it won't be because of Tony's tweets.

Alright, you could have said it about supporter forums.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #1954 on: January 27, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »
what a curmudgeon you are - it's brilliant that we have someone who actually communicates after years of being owned by the invisible man who joined a Trappist society

If it were David Sullivan tweeting some of the nonsense he's posted people would be quite rightly mocking him on here.

I'm against Tony tweeting.  If I have one criticism of him thus far, it is that he likes the limelight a little too much.  There have been tweets in the past that made me think that Bruce and/or RDM would not appreciate.  It was certainly disrespectful to Barnsley to start "friending" their players and to discuss the stages that the deals were at whilst they were still Barnsley players.  I don't think it helps anyone and speaking for myself, I was never relaxed until it was announced officially in any case. 98% meant very little to me.

I'm really enjoying the Dr and life at Villa again but would prefer him not to Tweet as much, it just doesn't seem professional.  I would prefer just occasional Tweets as we see from Wyness.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1955 on: January 27, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »
Can't think off hand of any that have been nonsense

People have been quite selective in what they've posted on here Fred!

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1956 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »

Alright, you could have said it about supporter forums.

Forums were and are different, and the world is now different. We now have, whether we like it or not, a president of the US broadcasting to the world via Twitter. In fact, almost every public figure you can think of has a Twitter account. What is said is often less important than the fact that it's being said, and being said by a certain person. Today's Twitter spat is forgotten by tomorrow. If it goes tits up with Tony it'll be because of his actions. The fallout might be played out on Twitter, but Twitter won't be the reason why it ends in tears.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #1957 on: January 27, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
Just to clarify, I think his Twittererererering will end in tears, not the entire Aston Villa 'project' or whatever we are to people who buy us.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #1958 on: January 27, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
Just to clarify, I think his Twittererererering will end in tears, not the entire Aston Villa 'project' or whatever we are to people who buy us.

Well it certainly can't bring anything positive, so we're on a hiding to nothing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1959 on: January 27, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »

Is what I was saying, although it's different now, apparently.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #1960 on: January 27, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »

Is what I was saying, although it's different now, apparently.

I thought as much.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1961 on: January 27, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
At the start everyone loved General Krulak's posts on here, back when we were all swept up by enthusiasm for the new regime. It ended up with people mocking. I fear this will go the same way

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1962 on: January 27, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
I doubt if there's anyone out there that can actually understand what Xia blabbers on about on Twitter anyway so I can't see what harm it does.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1963 on: January 27, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
It depends what you mean by 'end in tears'. Colossal twats like Donald Trump and Piers Morgan are coming out with some of the most ridiculous horseshit imaginable on Twitter. People mock them in their millions. None of it is doing them, or their careers, any actual harm. There's a limit to how many actual tears the good doctor's equations and mangled English can precipitate on Twitter. What's the worst that can happen?   

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1964 on: January 27, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
At the start everyone loved General Krulak's posts on here, back when we were all swept up by enthusiasm for the new regime. It ended up with people mocking. I fear this will go the same way

If Lerner was still an ambitious chairman till the end like he was in the early days then people would still be fawning over Krulak on forums till this day. It was only when Lerner gave up did people turn on Krulak, it was nothing to do with people just getting fed up for no reason other than familiarity or boredom.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal