collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Exeter 77
[Today at 07:58:04 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by VillaTim

FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:57:15 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 07:52:17 PM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by usav
[Today at 07:46:50 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by martin o`who??
[Today at 07:43:48 PM]

MOTD by martin o`who??
[Today at 07:32:05 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:23:03 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Exeter 77

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by VillaTim

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:57:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:53:08 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 07:52:17 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 07:48:15 PM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by usav
[Today at 07:46:50 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Tayls_7
[Today at 07:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony's Tweets  (Read 541572 times)

Offline chrisf

Re: Tony's Tweets
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »
To be fair although I was as annoyed at Lerner as anyone by the end I understand his intentions to move to the UK and be more hands on were derailed by a marriage break up which would have mean it resulting in him being a long way from his kids.
The biggest difference is that Lerner had never run a successful business. My understand is that Tony has.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »
To be fair although I was as annoyed at Lerner as anyone by the end I understand his intentions to move to the UK and be more hands on were derailed by a marriage break up which would have mean it resulting in him being a long way from his kids.
The biggest difference is that Lerner had never run a successful business. My understand is that Tony has.

A point I have made several times. Lerner might have been very educated and qualified but he wasn't a self made man in business. I believe it was his father's money. My understanding is the same as yours in that Tony is a self made millionaire.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2016, 01:07:12 PM »
Number 9 is close apparently.

New series of Inside Number 9 starts next month, can't wait.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
My main criticism of Lerner was his distant position meant that there was a void of leadership at the club and consequently a vacuum existed where employees were able to easily take the piss.  Dr Tony seems the opposite of that, and seems Ellis-esque with his fingerprints on everything.

If there is substance to his enthusiasm then he could be very good for us.  If not, and he's just feeding his ego, then... I don't want to consider that option yet.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »
My problem with Lerner was that he was such a bad judge of character, and this came through in his appointments, which were without exception awful.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »
That evolved over time with his various appointments. MON was a solid appointment initially and we didn't know much about the board. It just got worse and worse with each subsequent appointment. As much as we had some doubts over the people Xia has chosen, it seems to be working quite well so far. Wyness has a lot of experience and I don't think Brian's influence should be understated.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2016, 01:29:58 PM »
It's been weeks. I'm still suspicious of some of these people, so I will see how it pans out over a decent amount of time.

Online aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »

A point I have made several times. Lerner might have been very educated and qualified but he wasn't a self made man in business. I believe it was his father's money. My understanding is the same as yours in that Tony is a self made millionaire.

I am still confused as to how wealthy the doctor actually is.

I know it doesn't matter for some people, but the inference from him is that he is incredibly wealthy and yet i haven't actually read anything that sheds light on his businesses and wealth.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #308 on: August 13, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
As much as we had some doubts over the people Xia has chosen, it seems to be working quite well so far.

we've played 2 games and lost them both. Far too early to judge whether things are going well or badly.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2016, 01:55:50 PM »
As much as we had some doubts over the people Xia has chosen, it seems to be working quite well so far.

we've played 2 games and lost them both. Far too early to judge whether things are going well or badly.

This is about the chairman or did you expect him to be on the pitch too?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2016, 01:57:21 PM »

The only thing that matters is what happens on the pitch.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #311 on: August 13, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »
Of course it does but we are talking specifically about what the chairman has done. If you want to comment on the team that's fine but it has little if anything to do with what Xia has done. We can only hope long term the investment and people he has put in place are good decisions. So I'm not tying two defeats directly to what he has done since buying the club.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »
My problem with Lerner was that he was such a bad judge of character, and this came through in his appointments, which were without exception awful.

Our current board is full of questionable characters. Whilst I mainly agree with Chico that all that matters is what happens on the pitch, I still remember the Bendalls.

One thing I'd love to know is how Xia is managing to control all his listed companies from Brum whilst what seems to be spending every minute sorting out the Villa. I wonder if he's taken a sabbatical and left others in charge back in China?

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2016, 03:49:11 PM »

What has he actually done? We've bought some players, sold some and he's been on twitter a bit.

Maybe wait until he's been here for more than a couple of months before judging him either way?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »

What has he actually done? We've bought some players, sold some and he's been on twitter a bit.

Maybe wait until he's been here for more than a couple of months before judging him either way?

He's done exactly what he said he was going to do, it's that simple really.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal