collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nathan Baker?  (Read 19134 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Nathan Baker?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:30 AM »
I think his recent drop in stock has been a symptom of the way the club has fallen from grace. I dont think breaking into the first team during the worst period in our recent history has helped and I think given a chance to play when we are on an upward curve would do him good.
Fuck ups can be coached out of players, I hate to say it but you only have to look at what a good defensive coach can do for a centreback - Look at what Pulis did for Shawcross previously or for Jonny Evans at West Brom. Look at what Big Sam did for Younes Kaboul last season, the guy was absolutely immense in their run in.

For me, lets give him a season under Steve Clarke and see what happens. If he doesnt develop then send him packing next summer. What would we get for him now? 1, maybe 2m? Hardly worth it. Keep

very sensible.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
I think his recent drop in stock has been a symptom of the way the club has fallen from grace. I dont think breaking into the first team during the worst period in our recent history has helped and I think given a chance to play when we are on an upward curve would do him good.
Fuck ups can be coached out of players, I hate to say it but you only have to look at what a good defensive coach can do for a centreback - Look at what Pulis did for Shawcross previously or for Jonny Evans at West Brom. Look at what Big Sam did for Younes Kaboul last season, the guy was absolutely immense in their run in.

For me, lets give him a season under Steve Clarke and see what happens. If he doesnt develop then send him packing next summer. What would we get for him now? 1, maybe 2m? Hardly worth it. Keep

very sensible.
I agree.
This also intrigues me as to what Big Sam will do with Richards when he (inevitably) buys him this summer.

Offline thegreatdane

• Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg paid more than
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
He's no worse than any others we've got. They've all got huge mistakes in them. Ideally we'd sign a whole new back 4 and goal keeper.

Amavi?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
He's no worse than any others we've got. They've all got huge mistakes in them. Ideally we'd sign a whole new back 4 and goal keeper.

Amavi?

He seems great though he didn't play enough games for us to know for sure.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »
Nathan Baker is a Championship level defender so he'll be just fine for us next season. He has every attribute that you want as a central defender in the PL aside from the intelligence required to be a regular starter at that level. But like one or two others in our squad they will fit in fine against other Championship players. We just cannot accommodate them when we go back up.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »
My problem with Baker is that he is a reactive defender and his crowd pleasing thumping tackles are often as a result of him being caught out in the first place. Maybe he will cope better against lesser players but I would prefer not to have to find out.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »
Not good enough. If Xia has £50M to spend, the likes of Baker aren't good enough. We need to aim a lot higher with quality signings.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »
I agree, the defence needs a complete makeover

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »
Could be worth keeping him this season, monitor, sell him when we go up if he's not up to it. Personally, I think he's got too many mistakes in him but I can see Matt's point.

Offline supertom

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
Lescott, Richards and Okore are probably all going to go. Baker is worth keeping for me. As is Clark(e). Nathan isn't the best but what he is, is a player who'll put himself on the line. Sometimes to his detriment, but you can never fault his commitment. He's fine at that level and will be a fine stand-in, as/when needed. Buy two new decent senior CH's.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
Lescott, Richards and Okore are probably all going to go. Baker is worth keeping for me. As is Clark(e). Nathan isn't the best but what he is, is a player who'll put himself on the line. Sometimes to his detriment, but you can never fault his commitment. He's fine at that level and will be a fine stand-in, as/when needed. Buy two new decent senior CH's.
Hopefully our sensible new management team will persuade Okore to stay.

Offline supertom

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
Hopefully our sensible new management team will persuade Okore to stay.
I'm either way on Jores. He's decent enough, but whether his agent is gonna be causing him to play silly buggers is another matter. If he wants out, he'll have to go. His whole situation at the end of the season, regardless of the actual truth, was farcical.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2016, 05:03:48 PM »
Baker isn't good enough.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »

Amavi?
great going forward. Not sure about his defensive

side.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
Baker is not good enough as a first choice in the Premiership ......

But we are not in that next season and he is fine at Championship level

We won't see anywhere near 50 million spent and what is spent there are many other areas to spend it on ....... it will be interesting if its a 50 million spend and if that includes those going out who might make up 30 million at a guess

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal