collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:45:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:45:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:44:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 02:44:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 02:44:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:44:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:44:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:44:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner's Farewell ramble  (Read 22493 times)

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: Randy Lerner's Farewell ramble
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
C- overuse of exclamation marks. See me you clown!

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »
Strange that of all the off the pitch work he did do (and can be respected for ie Holte pub and mosaic) his 'narrative' makes no mention of Acorns which for me, was the one thing he could reflect on with honour.
Good observation.
I actually respond to this 'sign-off' with a degree of empathy. He was clearly completely out of his depth and has sold for £5m less than he bought the club. He left behind £200m+ in poorly-invested funds - apart from those that went into Acorns and infrastructure.
He has basically been mugged off (by his own naivety) but is still prepared to release an admittedly slightly-rambling pr to sign off.
I'm not offended by this, even if he could have cut the deal with Xia before relegation (it would have cost him nothing to have sold at £60m 5 months' ago).

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 09:50:26 PM »
Well Randy, you came into it with best intentions but royally fucked it up. At least you realised this and have tried to get out, and finally have. Personally I despise most of the current squad more than Lerner, it's more a feeling of disappointment than anger for him.

Offline liam

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
Strange that of all the off the pitch work he did do (and can be respected for ie Holte pub and mosaic) his 'narrative' makes no mention of Acorns which for me, was the one thing he could reflect on with honour.
Good observation.
I actually respond to this 'sign-off' with a degree of empathy. He was clearly completely out of his depth and has sold for £5m less than he bought the club. He left behind £200m+ in poorly-invested funds - apart from those that went into Acorns and infrastructure.
He has basically been mugged off (by his own naivety) but is still prepared to release an admittedly slightly-rambling pr to sign off.
I'm not offended by this, even if he could have cut the deal with Xia before relegation (it would have cost him nothing to have sold at £60m 5 months' ago).

I'm the same - its a shame he didn't sell a few years back, even last year. I find it hard to dislike him after the ellis years he gave us hope. He genuinely seems to value the football club as more that what happens on the pitch, but when it boils down to it that's the most important thing. I hope that this decision to sell to Recon is a decision he gets right - because the last few major decisions have been disastrous.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »
Thanks for the first 4 years or so Randy. It started off with a brilliant buzz and fanfare but fizzled out during the last 6 years.

There was some good things and plenty of bad, however I really do believe he cared deep down but was out if his depth and had his hands tied by the trust. Maybe if we had some decent level of management structure above MON in the early years and even right after it might have turned out different.

Farewell and I really hope your last appointment will finally be a good, or great one.

Online Rudy65

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »
It wouldnt suprise me if he wa quoting £150m 6 months ago. Now a desparate seller means the price tumbles big time

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
As much as Randy has damn near crippled us over the years, you cannot deny that he has sold us for a song having lost a feckin shit load of cash in the process.

Which speaks volumes about how poorly he has run the club. 

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
Thanks for the first 4 years or so Randy. It started off with a brilliant buzz and fanfare but fizzled out during the last 6 years.

There was some good things and plenty of bad, however I really do believe he cared deep down but was out if his depth and had his hands tied by the trust. Maybe if we had some decent level of management structure above MON in the early years and even right after it might have turned out different.

Farewell and I really hope your last appointment will finally be a good, or great one.

Agree

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »
I think he came in with the best of intentions and the mistakes and poor decisions he made haven't just cost us, they've cost him as well. I don't resent him for it though. Let's hope he's left us in good hands.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2016, 10:02:55 PM »
Everything else aside, that statement is complete nonsense and sums the man up. An utter luatic who I'm happy to see the back of. Thinks he's fucking Shakespeare.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2016, 10:08:05 PM »
Reading this I can only conclude Randy is unwell or we had no one left in PR who could edit the statement.

He came with the best intentions, along the way we had some good times and he did some things for the club off the field which he can be proud of. However the last 5 years has been a total nightmare and I feel tomorrow is like a fresh start for all of us. So if there is a lesson for the new custodians it is simply this - we are a football club and if we are not winning football matches the rest doesn't matter. Up the Villa 😉

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
I feel sorry for him. He desperately wanted it all to succeed. He put the money in and some effort too certainly at the beginning. But, as he stated, professional and personal issues got in the way. Couple that with too much faith in his appointment of key and unsuitable personnel and you have the recipe for disaster that unfolded. As stated, it would have been the best for all parties to have found the buyer 2 years ago. Thanks for the acorns deal, very classy. Thanks for BMH. Thanks for the ground improvements. Thanks also for the restoration of the Holte Hotel which adds to the appearance of the area and makes for a much more pleasant walk to the ground. It's a late Victorian building Randy, not Jackobean.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2016, 10:12:04 PM »
History will be kinder on Lerner.
His great work initially on the infrastructure of the club stadium Holte pub and Bodymoor leaves a legacy that our new custodian can benefit from.
He lost interest, lost money and lost our premiership status but we will have to go backwards to go forwards hopefully and now we go onwards and upwards.
We've got our Villa back (I hope) !

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2016, 10:29:01 PM »
I don't think he's right in the head I really don't

Online FatSam

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
All I can say is that I understand why he is so reluctant to give interviews.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal