collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ian.
[Today at 07:50:17 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:38:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner's Farewell ramble  (Read 22496 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Randy Lerner's Farewell ramble
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »
I think he did some admirable things, that his heart was in the right place but perhaps through a bad combination of naiivety and arrogance everything he did footballwise turned to death.

I don't hate the guy but there's no escaping that the statistically worst Villa team ever happened on his watch. Custodianship.

I still think had O'Neill invested better with the infinite money he had and then not flounced off in the manner he did, things really could have been different. That said, we should have had enough about us as an organisation to absord that hit, roll up sleeves and crack on. Instead we folded.
i agree, we and he never recovered from MOn and I have lots more dislike for him than I have for Lerner.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
We weren't relegated by O'Neill, we were relegated by Lerner. Good riddance to the gormless loon.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 07:46:52 PM »
I think he did some admirable things, that his heart was in the right place but perhaps through a bad combination of naiivety and arrogance everything he did footballwise turned to death.

I don't hate the guy but there's no escaping that the statistically worst Villa team ever happened on his watch. Custodianship.

I still think had O'Neill invested better with the infinite money he had and then not flounced off in the manner he did, things really could have been different. That said, we should have had enough about us as an organisation to absord that hit, roll up sleeves and crack on. Instead we folded.
i agree, we and he never recovered from MOn and I have lots more dislike for him than I have for Lerner.

Same. As I say, we should have had enough about us to handle that situation but the way MON left was designed to fuck us over. Lerner didn't end up doing much good (in a parrallel universe we won three cups and the Europa League AND the Peace Cup in his time) but I don't think he ever intended for us to be brought so low.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »
And with that it's a fuck off from me. Absolutely run us in to the ground. We have a ground, training ground, supporters and apart from that a complete shell of a club.

Online john2710

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
If nothing else, Lerner's consistent in his bizarre ramblings. I guess he knows what he's trying to say, even if no one else does.

Anyway, I don't have any grievance's with him, he tried, he failed & lost a load of money in the process. We had a few great days but an awful lot of shite for the best part of 4 years. Because he was genuine, he was cut an awful lot of slack. I doubt the fans will be so generous in future.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:22 PM »
As much as Randy has damn near crippled us over the years, you cannot deny that he has sold us for a song having lost a feckin shit load of cash in the process.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »
If only he had sold up in 2014.

For him and for us.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 08:17:52 PM »
If you put it in the context that Small Heath were sold in 2009 for £80m (agreed at massively overpriced) then he really has ruined his asset.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 08:24:49 PM »
I don't dislike him. I think he had good intentions but was massively incompetent. A bit like me in all my jobs.

I didn't waste quite so much money though.

Online martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:38 PM »
Sad that the Lerner era has ended as it has, it promised - and very nearly delivered - so much, Wembley appearances, Top six finishes and the initial feel-good factor are all to be fondly remembered, not so the disastrous appointments of Mcleish and others, the Financial over indulgence of MON, the long overdue ending of the Lambert era, a manager the fans wanted and Lerner to his credit delivered, all this a pre-cursor to the final and almost inevitable relegation from the top tier of English football, sadly, History will not judge Lerner kindly, a harsh epitaph for a man who always respected the Traditions of the club and spent and lost a considerable amount of his money In doing so, speaking personally, I wish him well although I know I will be in the minority to be so gracious - so be it.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:17 PM »

Same. As I say, we should have had enough about us to handle that situation but the way MON left was designed to fuck us over. Lerner didn't end up doing much good (in a parrallel universe we won three cups and the Europa League AND the Peace Cup in his time) but I don't think he ever intended for us to be brought so low.

THIS

Once MON went he was poorly advised about everything. He chose the wrong people to make the important decisions. It was only the last couple of months that he actually had a board with football knowledge and he managed to fuck that up. Unfortunately all the good things he did for this club will be forgotten.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 08:39:23 PM »
I think we're all feeling better now we're not owned by the bastard offspring of Howard Hughes and Miss Havisham.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »
He really ought not to do meth before he writes these things.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »
Great! I nowawait publication of Flabby's farewell "Tararabit. Haterz" on Pravda.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 09:06:21 PM »
I don't dislike him. I think he had good intentions but was massively incompetent. A bit like me in all my jobs.

I didn't waste quite so much money though.
That's my take on him too. Now that it's over we can (hopefully) look to the future with hope and just pretend that 2010 - 2016 never happened.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal