collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sob on the Tyne Part 2  (Read 39963 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Sob on the Tyne Part 2
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2016, 09:31:06 AM »
Wasn't the Coventry game the same one when big Cyrille scored after about 12 seconds?  Oh how I laughed.

I think it was. I was in the left side and I remember them running. Didn't know what had happened until now

I vaguely remember mutterings of Coventry fans in the holte (whilst standing in the holte myself) followed by seeing a collection of buffoons and scrotes running back towards their own end on the pitch and sidelines, I'm thinking about 92 ish. And yes I also seem to recall the game kicking off and us scoring almost straight away.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »

Meh.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
Wasn't the Coventry game the same one when big Cyrille scored after about 12 seconds?  Oh how I laughed.

I think it was. I was in the left side and I remember them running. Didn't know what had happened until now

I vaguely remember mutterings of Coventry fans in the holte (whilst standing in the holte myself) followed by seeing a collection of buffoons and scrotes running back towards their own end on the pitch and sidelines, I'm thinking about 92 ish. And yes I also seem to recall the game kicking off and us scoring almost straight away.

you mean this one ?

UTV
The Doc

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2016, 09:43:23 AM »

Prior to the game the Coventry manager, I think it was Don Howe but it could have been Gould, was interviewed in their local paper. It was a must win game for them in a relegation fight and as they had sold their allocation he encouraged their supporters to get tickets in home areas to support the team. The silly sausage.

There was about 50 of them, at least the visible ones, in the very bottom right of the Holte until about five to three.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »
I am sure I remember that one of the group of fans " ejected " from the Holte had a Villa top on. Strange sight of 50 cov fans walking towards the away end , one in a Villa shirt !

Offline Durham58

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »
I can't stand all this 'Toon Army' guff, the media's rewriting of history about their massive loyal support. One of my first away games was at St James in a crowd of about 14k and when Mirandhina scored that scuffed penalty at our place a few years later it was celebrated by around 400 in the away end. Recent years have seen them pull in capacity crowds but I'd hold up clubs like Norwich and Southampton for special attention not Newcastle, they fill their grounds without the media ejaculating about their amazing support. NUFC are a kind of Ollbeeyun-lite, their fans think their club is all that when the truth lies on another planet.

All clubs except Man U and Liverpool had appalling attendances in the 80's and we were certainly no exception.  The last game home game before the European Cup final against Swansea all we could manage was 18,000 and then 22,000 for our  first home game as European champions  the following season.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure Newcastle would have topped that if they had been in a comparable position to us at the time.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
Have to agree with John e, Newcastle (and Sunderland) fans are some of the most loyal in the game. They generally show good humour too, which is why I find this pretend rivalry with us they've invented since they sent themselves down with an OG at Villa Park all bit ridiculous, particularly the way they've let it fester in the years since. Any club's fans would have had a laugh at it like ours did that day.
I too have been at St James' in sub-20k league crowds a few times, but their support in terms of numbers is as good as any of the top clubs when you consider the only thing they've won in most fans' lifetime is the second division.
One thing's for sure, they wouldn't be able to buy up tickets in the home ends if our own fans were there. This is one last chance to voice your disapproval at the club and let the players know what a disgrace they've been - get down there and let it all out!

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »

you mean this one ?

UTV
The Doc

Yeah that's the one, oh for a team like that now (and routinely humiliating our local 'rivals'!)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »
I don't buy this "most loyal fans" nonsense. Newcastle and Sunderland fans are no different to any other club's supporters. I also don't buy the "hotbed" of football description of the North East. 2 clubs, 15 miles apart? we've got 2 clubs within 3 miles of us  - and Wolves and Cov are both as far from us as Newcastle from Sunderland.

I've got nothing against either of them, except when the media trot out the lazy "loyal supporters" bollocks.

Offline HolmesyVilla

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
Newcastle don't matter at all, Michael Jackson told me you don't matter if you're black&white

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 10:24:46 AM »
I don't buy this "most loyal fans" nonsense. Newcastle and Sunderland fans are no different to any other club's supporters. I also don't buy the "hotbed" of football description of the North East. 2 clubs, 15 miles apart? we've got 2 clubs within 3 miles of us  - and Wolves and Cov are both as far from us as Newcastle from Sunderland.

I've got nothing against either of them, except when the media trot out the lazy "loyal supporters" bollocks.

They are both one team cities and have a massive catchment area.  Sunderland must be amongst the biggest underachievers in the English game. 

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 10:31:39 AM »

you mean this one ?

UTV
The Doc

Yeah that's the one, oh for a team like that now (and routinely humiliating our local 'rivals'!)

Whatever happened to that H&V seller?  Must be a very old film.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »
Am I right in remembering a game against Cov where a few of their fans sat in the centre circle after they conceded a goal and held up the game?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »
It's not a contrived rivalry, we're both just victims of circumstance really. We're both big clubs, they were shit, we sent them down and massively took the piss, and rightly so. They now largely dislike us for it and saw this fixture as a chance to turn the tables on us (and rightly so). But in a bizarre (bizarre because we've been so astoundingly shit this season) twist of fate, they've again been put in the position where we can have the last laugh if we drag them down with us. And because we are so shit and have been relegated already it will be just as funny as before. I'venothing against them really. Everyone knows a few Geordies - generally a good bunch, but it just gives us something to aim for,no matter how small time it may seem. I know a few and will definitely be giving them stick if we beat them. Let's just enjoy it if it happens. We are absolute dogshite right now. If we can cause them some pain too, great. Call it whatever you like, I just don't want them beating us at VP, avoiding relegation and consequently taking the piss out of our long-suffering supporters.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:49:30 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »
Another bit of responsible journalism.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-fans-desperate-hold-tickets-11253397#rlabs=2%20rt$sitewide%20p$5

I'm really starting to hate Gregg Evans and how he manages to include a subtle dig at Villa in nearly all of his immature and clueless articles.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal