collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 02:19:04 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 02:18:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Scovilla
[Today at 02:17:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:17:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Proposition Joe
[Today at 02:17:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by aldridgeboy
[Today at 02:17:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 02:17:20 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 02:16:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The fantastic journey back (good vibes thread)  (Read 12096 times)

Offline mattjpa

Re: The fantastic journey back (good vibes thread)
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
ultimately, you have to ask, what is more important to you, being in the premier league and scratching around at the bottom of the league, praying for Chelsea or United to stuff Bournemouth and ruin their goal difference OR getting to 2pm on a saturday, walking to the ground actually looking forward to the game and then hitting 5.15pm, cheering the final whistle, maybe another pint on the way back to celebrate, checking the top of the league table and reading a positive post match thread on the train home, beers and takeaway, watch MOTD and actually enjoy it, then being one of the first couple of games on the championship programme after. Absolute no brainer for me.

Make no bones about it, the next 2-3 months will decide on whether the second scenario comes to fruition but this relegation is exactly what this club and its fans need. Lets worry about the premier league another time

Offline levico

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
It's all been said really. I'm also looking forward to next season. Not sure that I'm in a hurry to get back into the PL. be great to win promotion but I think the journey would be better than the arrival if that makes sense.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
I recall that goal like it was yesterday. I was sat in the Upper Trinity North Stand end in line with the six yard box. As that cross came in we all saw Platt just dart into the open space. Brilliant cross, timed run and goal. Such an important win. Can't remember the attendance but it was quite good I think.
Hello TV If my meomry serves me correctly it was 36,000, the highest crowd in the Division that year  : )

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2016, 03:42:44 PM »
What I recall from last time, the best thing was being part of something special, something never to be forgotten.  Yes, individual games will always be memorable but that whole season we were creating memories every week (or so it seemed).  Going to new places in huge numbers, expecting (and getting) a result - not being cocky or arrogant, just optimistic.

Blues fans looking forward to celebrating our relegation (and I gather they're planning all sorts) won't be so happy if we do what we need to in the coming 12 months.  It'll be us planning the party.

Online dalians umbrella

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
David Bernstein :

Wwe have several players already who are a class above anything else in the Championship

I think Undertaker and Triple H are past it now.

Bernstein doesn't know what he's talking about.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:02:16 PM by dalians umbrella »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
Being with Villa fans anywhere in whatever division- happy days always!!!
Looking forward to actually liking our players again, hopefully after a turnover of the current squad.
From the 3rd division days we've always had a special bond with the players up until recent years and
particularly this season. Being the 12th man again, should ensure more success for Villa in future years.
Re noses celebrating our relegation-SAD b-st-rds!

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 05:36:46 PM »
David Bernstein :
I know that if things don't work out this season - and we still hope they will - the journey back is always very, very exciting.

I have been involved in that before and as you improve and start to get that success, it's a fantastic journey which the fans will enjoy enormously

This line stuck me when he said it and was also mentioned by some esteemed posters here. So maybe a thread to anticipate then relish next season as we stroll through the Championship is worth while?

Despite the negatives there are some facts. We will be the biggest club in the Championship, we will have the best balance sheet (according to Hollis) , we will have a new manager who will be getting players all approved of and found by our new footballing board which has real pro's on it.

Wwe have several players already who are a class above anything else in the Championship even before new additions plus some of our overpaid garbage is out of contract and will bugger off in May.

We can have our regular winning match post mortems talking about how we can improve and which players do not fit our new dynamic play rather than the usual.

So I am coming around to actually looking forward to next season, maybe we will be the bullies of the league coming back up fitter, leaner with a real sense of how we want our team to play.

Anyone other optimists looking forward to the fantastic journey back?

Sorry ciggie but;

Biggest club in the Championship?
Best balance sheet?
Several players already who are a class above anything else in the Championship ????
Even before new additions????
Plus some of our overpaid garbage is out of contract and will bugger off in May????

Can I ask what the f*** you have been smoking????

Offline jeowje

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
We are big enough to make the second tier relevant again  :D

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »
Playing Liverpool at home in the cup and doing a giant killing.

Are we also going back to the 70s?  Liverpool giants?  Giants of ordinary.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »
Being able to take my then just turned 6 year old to a game. He keeps mothering about coming to football with me but I don't want to scar him by watching our current shit.

He is also grossly competitive so watching the team lose every week would turn him off it.

But if I could give him a first game where I can ham up our size, take him to the shop for merchandise and then see us roll over Huddersfield, in a reasonably full ground and a clatter of noise, then he will be hooked for life.

Bring it on.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2016, 06:47:10 PM »
Let's hope we all become "children of the revolution" part 2

Online Pete3206

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
I recall that goal like it was yesterday. I was sat in the Upper Trinity North Stand end in line with the six yard box. As that cross came in we all saw Platt just dart into the open space. Brilliant cross, timed run and goal. Such an important win. Can't remember the attendance but it was quite good I think.
Hello TV If my meomry serves me correctly it was 36,000, the highest crowd in the Division that year  : )

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
I've never known the ground so frenzied. It was like we knew that every one of us was as much a part of it as the players. I think it was Jon Follows who said in the Holte's Last Stand that things like that happen about once every ten years and when they do we're unbeatable.
The Holte was positively shaking!  I was at Uni in East London so got the train back and it was a brilliant journey, train full of Villa and Wolves fans - who had just also won the old 4th division that day singing and partying together.
I could take days like that again!!
Great to see that goal again, I see that header in my sleep sometimes 😂 such good times we're overdue some more next year.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »

I know "who was the best header of a ball?" is a topic which crops up as an aside fairly regularly across threads, particularily amongst our number with, ahem, longer memories than most, but Platt must surely be up amongst them? His timing and technique were impeccable.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »

Thanks gents. It really was a super atmosphere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal