collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:17:15 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 02:14:26 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:12:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:09:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eric Black  (Read 142986 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Eric Black
« Reply #1155 on: March 20, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
If he'd come in and said, 'we're awful, it's been an awful season, I want to try something fresh and new and give the kids some experience' then I'm pretty sure everyone would have been given a chance.

Having said that, there are a number of people in our support who still think Gabby is a hero so God knows what could have happened.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1156 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
On top of the horrible atmosphere at home games losing 9-0 at Watford,14-0 at Arsenal, 1-8 at home against Southampton would ahve been okay? nonsense. There seems to be a sense of put the kids in and we'll be all right and the fans will forgive. the fact that not one of them were ready for the Premier League, playing in a God awful team, fans that we deriding their own players  does not mean that Black should have put them in. Maybe one or two if necessary but draw a line under the season, protect the younger players and then start again.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1157 on: March 20, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »
 :o

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1158 on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
On top of the horrible atmosphere at home games losing 9-0 at Watford,14-0 at Arsenal, 1-8 at home against Southampton would ahve been okay? nonsense. There seems to be a sense of put the kids in and we'll be all right and the fans will forgive. the fact that not one of them were ready for the Premier League, playing in a God awful team, fans that we deriding their own players  does not mean that Black should have put them in. Maybe one or two if necessary but draw a line under the season, protect the younger players and then start again.

What a truly bizarre post, you've made up a ridiculous version of events to use to justify your views and then used it as evidence that you're right.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1159 on: March 20, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »
No more ridiculous than thinking the sun would shine brightly over Villa Park if only Eric Black had have played those pesky kids. Those pesky kids that have barely had a look in this season in the division below. And the point that has escaped you is that its easy to just say play the kids but if they had have been on the end of a hammering, what then How do the feel then as the fans realise that they are aren't the future after all but then just lump with the rest of the rotten driftwood.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1160 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:16 PM »
To be frank Peter, last season was so unremittingly shit that I would have taken losing 8 nil with a team that tried over losing 6 nil with one that didn't give a shit.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1161 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
No more ridiculous than thinking the sun would shine brightly over Villa Park if only Eric Black had have played those pesky kids. Those pesky kids that have barely had a look in this season in the division below. And the point that has escaped you is that its easy to just say play the kids but if they had have been on the end of a hammering, what then How do the feel then as the fans realise that they are aren't the future after all but then just lump with the rest of the rotten driftwood.

Please look at my previous posts before stating things like that, it makes you look really silly.  I didn't say 'play the kids' I said it's about looking at the future of the club.  A win or 2 in that run of games where we had players trying to earn a future with the club would've seen him leave with a great deal of credit and would've made the early part of the season much simpler, drawinr/losing the lot but doing it with players that gave a shit was what people actually expected.  Doing fuck all except picking players on reputation isn't a solution to anything and that is all he tried to do.

I have no time for Black because, in my opinion, professional pride alone should be enough incentive to at least try and he couldn't even bring himself to do that, he just threw the 11 most well known players in the squad onto the pitch and left them to it.  If he had an ounce of decency he'd have at least tried to do something to earn his wages, and dropping people like Lescott and Richards would've been right at the top of that list.

Edit because I missed part of my point from the first paragraph.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:07:14 PM by paul_e »

Offline peter w

« Reply #1162 on: March 20, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »
And I didn't say that you did talk about playing kids. Not every post here will be directed towards you or solely about what you have posted as many people are posting here. Stop being so precious.

Now I will talk about one of your posts...

"Doing fuck all except picking players..."

No that isn't all that he tried to do. In my opinion. He first of all tried to make us more difficult to beat and that coming on the back of that 6-0 Liverpool debacle. Did he do it well? No, not particularly, but did he have to use? Richards? Lescott? Gabby? Those that had taken us to the very mess that we were deeply embroiled in? So, if not pick those who else has he got left? Okore? That bridge was burned. Where else then? The kids? not good enough and if you think any coach would fancy throwing kids in to what we were on and of the pitch in any sport then you'd be wrong.

It had got to the point where even the young players ability was counting for little because of the circus going on around us. And also, as has been pointed out he's had a shit career as a caretaker manager winning hardly any, if any, of his games in charge. What else could he do with that on his cv but fail? If he was as shit as everyone thinks why even allow other players to be tainted by his ineptitude?

of all the things that have gone wrong under Villa under Lerner, and with last season in mind in particular, he has a minuscule tiny percentage of any blame apportioned to him. He may not have been popular, and not many people were last season other than the Hollis/Little group, but he should be designed to the 'I forgot he as at Villa' because that deep his footprint was.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1163 on: March 20, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »

That top line is literally a direct reply to me, how can you possibly think that doesn't come across as directed towards me.  If you'd broken sentence before the silly 'pesky kids' comment you might have a point.

Tried to make us more difficult to beat - he said that much but the fact that we conceded 18 goals in 7 games shows that he didn't come close to doing that, our defensive record under him was the worst it had been all season.

Couldn't use Okore - No one's fault but his own, quite why he decided to take over and alienate the guy who'd probably been our most reliable central defender all season (the bar was low).

Kids that aren't good enough - do you mean like Veretout who's doing well in France and would've been great to have in the squad this season and Traore who's getting regular games in the premier league this year.  He brought Richardson in as a left winger despite him being out of contract a few months later despite having Grealish in the squad who most people wanted to see get a run of games.  Just 2-3 changes is all it needed.

Yes he's a footnote in the shit of the last 6 years but his approach played a part in pushing 3 young players out of the club (Okore, Veretout and Traore) that I'd like to have seen be a core part of the side this season.  Maybe they'd never have wanted to stay, maybe RDM wouldn't have wanted them regardless but all 3 were dealt a particularly shitty hand by Black, Okore in particular.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1164 on: March 20, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »
Oh goody. Another chance to revisit the Okore argument.

Well, I suppose we need to get through the international break somehow...

Offline peter w

« Reply #1165 on: March 20, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
"That top line is literally a direct reply to me"

No, paul, it isn't. You aren't the only person in this discussion. Sorry but I didn't read on after that. It's not just about you and I'd be interested to read what others have to say on the subject.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #1166 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:01 PM »
would rather of had the African car reverser in temporary charge than eric black

Online paul_e

« Reply #1167 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »
"That top line is literally a direct reply to me"

No, paul, it isn't. You aren't the only person in this discussion. Sorry but I didn't read on after that. It's not just about you and I'd be interested to read what others have to say on the subject.

Once again if I make a point and you respond to that point then you're replying to me, it's really not complicated.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1168 on: March 20, 2017, 07:30:32 PM »
How has that useless fucker got a job at a Premier League club?

Offline mrbrightside

« Reply #1169 on: March 20, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
To be honest all that people wanted was for him to give Adama, Grealish, Green and RHM some game time. In the case of Adama it may had have made him want to stay. All people wanted was a bit of hope, a glimpse of a better future. But for him to play the likes of Bacuna and Richards was so disheartening. He definitely made a nightmare situation worse.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal