collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brian Little Speaks  (Read 58887 times)

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
Re: Brian Little Speaks
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2016, 01:33:55 PM »
not sure what the biggest crowd I have stood in at Villa Park is but a Christmas visit to see both sides of my family and my first ever live game with my Dad, his brothers, cousins and Grandad in 1968 Boxing Day vs Cardiff....over 40,000 there and I was 5 years old and in awe of Villa Park, the people, and the city(and if my memory serves me right it snowed)....never looked back :)

UTV
The Doc

I was there. I always believed that Brian Tiler's headed goal was from about 40 yards but maybe it's my old age playing memory tricks.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
not sure what the biggest crowd I have stood in at Villa Park is but a Christmas visit to see both sides of my family and my first ever live game with my Dad, his brothers, cousins and Grandad in 1968 Boxing Day vs Cardiff....over 40,000 there and I was 5 years old and in awe of Villa Park, the people, and the city(and if my memory serves me right it snowed)....never looked back :)

UTV
The Doc

I was there. I always believed that Brian Tiler's headed goal was from about 40 yards but maybe it's my old age playing memory tricks.

I believe Barrie Hole got the first but I have no idea what type of goal it was as everyone jumped up when it went in and I could not see a thing :)  I must ask my Dad's brother which pub we went in before the game as I believe it was the Aston Tavern...

UTV
The Doc

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2016, 01:42:25 PM »

UTV
The Doc

41296 was the crowd....i thought it was Barry Hole who scored the header from outside the box that day. They were both the scorers that day.
I will be disappointed as i've lived the last 48 years believing it to be Hole!!!!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
Correct, 57266 acc to a link I had in my notes. I was 14 at the time. Stands out like yesterday for the size of the crowd, expectation, result, and struggling to get out in the crush at the end.

Good win for us.

Some stats I found at 11v11.com (tried to post the link but apparently that is "not allowed")

Maybe someone will know if that was the last largest crowd at VP, or if not where it stands in a table of attendances?

UTV

My largest attendance at Villa Park was 62,500 league cup semi-final 2nd leg against Man U in 1970 - one of my greatest Villa Park nights ever watching Third Division Aston Villa beat the 1968 European Champions and not only beat them but outplay them in both legs. As Mary Hopkin once sang  "Those were the days my friend , We thought they'd never end ,We'd sing and dance forever and a day!
I was there - standing in the Trinity Road lower. One of the very best nights at VP - perhaps only bettered by the 5-1 vs Redscouse on 15th December 1976.

Offline berneboy

« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2016, 02:14:43 PM »

UTV
The Doc

41296 was the crowd....i thought it was Barry Hole who scored the header from outside the box that day. They were both the scorers that day.
I will be disappointed as i've lived the last 48 years believing it to be Hole!!!!

Well, PGW, we need a final arbiter, someone who is of sound mind and clear vision!

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »

UTV
The Doc

Well, PGW, we need a final arbiter, someone who is of sound mind and clear vision!

That rules out anyone posting on here then.

Offline Dr Butler

« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »
someone who is of sound mind and clear vision!

not sure of that, but 11v11 says this :)

http://www.11v11.com/matches/aston-villa-v-cardiff-city-26-december-1968-114088/

UTV
The Doc

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

UTV
The Doc

I'm gonna believe i'm correct as pointed out it was Brian Tilers debut that day, scored on his debut that's all. Not a screaming header from outside box!!!!

Cheers Doc

Offline Dr Butler

« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2016, 02:34:46 PM »
no problem PGW...loved those Aston Villa days  :)

UTV
The Doc

Offline berneboy

« Reply #249 on: August 10, 2016, 05:40:33 PM »

UTV
The Doc

I'm gonna believe i'm correct as pointed out it was Brian Tilers debut that day, scored on his debut that's all. Not a screaming header from outside box!!!!

Cheers Doc

Somebody prove me right. It was a headed goal from many yards out by Brian Tiler's.

.... wasn't it?

Offline berneboy

« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2016, 05:45:54 PM »
EI Adio from 2010:
Yes I remember Brian's debut. Headed goal from a corner in front of the Holte where I was standing. It seemed too good to be true at the time,

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »

UTV
The Doc

Cheers Doc

Somebody prove me right. It was a headed goal from many yards out by Brian Tiler's.

.... wasn't it?

I'm with you Berneboy, debut goal scored on a snow covered pitch by Tiler at the Holte End. Thanks to the Birmingham Library Archive Department I was able to find a picture taken of the packed Holte End with yours truly, aged 11 with my long departed father clearly in view- It must have been a bit party as I have what looks like a woollen scarf wrapped around my head.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2016, 10:26:36 PM »
I wonder what Sir Brian makes of our mainly inept performances this season? He should be advising Tony to pull the trigger and get Bruce in!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #253 on: September 18, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
Brian would most likely be advising Tony to stick with RDM, what with him being an ex-manager, and he'd be right to.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #254 on: September 18, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »

UTV
The Doc

41250 to be precise!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal