collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Long Awaited Accounts....  (Read 111772 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: The Long Awaited Accounts....
« Reply #645 on: March 07, 2020, 11:36:21 AM »
Thanks Kippeye and Malandro
Common sense at last.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #646 on: March 07, 2020, 11:37:40 AM »
But how do they afford Defoe, Bent and van der Vaart for less than we are paying for our lot? Ah?! Ah?!!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #647 on: March 07, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
'Rainman' has been used on here lots of times over the years, to mean somebody with an obsession with stats etc.  I don't think it's intended as an insult to people with autism.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #648 on: March 07, 2020, 11:48:00 AM »
'Rainman' has been used on here lots of times over the years, to mean somebody with an obsession with stats etc.  I don't think it's intended as an insult to people with autism.

Whether its intended to insult or not, it is one.

Would you walk up to someone with autism and call them Rainman to their face?

It may be intended as light hearted banter but there are plenty of examples of people thinking they are being funny but actually being offensive.

That the original poster of the comment apologised for causing offence and yet others are suggesting it's acceptable is odd.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #649 on: March 07, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »
As I said, perhaps the comment was ill judged and I sincerely hope that nobody has been upset/offended.

It was of course a reference to the film as CL kindly pointed out.  It was certainly not an attack or a mocking of people with autism as others have (incorrectly) suggested.  Furthermore, it most certainly wasn't discriminatory.  Disability is indeed a protected characteristic.  However, referencing a character in a film does not constitute discrimination. 

I'm not sure there is benefit in discussing this further on a thread dedicated to Villa's finances?  I've accepted my comment was ill judged and have apologised for any offence that may have been caused.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:05:59 PM by Brassneck »

Offline Risso

« Reply #650 on: March 07, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »

It may be intended as light hearted banter but there are plenty of examples of people thinking they are being funny but actually being offensive.

That the original poster of the comment apologised for causing offence and yet others are suggesting it's acceptable is odd.

I think you've already proved your almost perfect right-on credentials, no need to keep hammering the point home.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #651 on: March 07, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »

I think you've already proved your almost perfect right-on credentials, no need to keep hammering the point home.

So stop giving smart arse responses then.

And its not about my credentials Risso, but about doing the right thing by people. Try it, you might like it.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #652 on: March 07, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
Look, can everyone please stop going on about Brassneck's voluntary work. HE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #653 on: March 07, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Look, can everyone please stop going on about Brassneck's voluntary work. HE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.

And you seem to want to talk about anything other than the Villa - Another complete and utter time waster.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #654 on: March 07, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
If anyone would like to be banned, just let us know and it can be arranged.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #655 on: March 07, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »

Sorry. just can't agree.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #656 on: March 07, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »

Sorry. just can't agree.

With what?

Offline kipeye

« Reply #657 on: March 07, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »

Sorry. just can't agree.

With what?
The context of your example is entirely different. If you said someone was a Stephen Hawking because of their (pseudo) knowledge of science, you are not causing offence to people with motor neurone disease. i have 30 years experience in this field and cannot see how the Rain Man comment could be deemed offensive. i think you mean well and want to stand up for others, but think you just got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #658 on: March 07, 2020, 04:27:40 PM »

Sorry. just can't agree.

With what?
The context of your example is entirely different. If you said someone was a Stephen Hawking because of their (pseudo) knowledge of science, you are not causing offence to people with motor neurone disease. i have 30 years experience in this field and cannot see how the Rain Man comment could be deemed offensive. i think you mean well and want to stand up for others, but think you just got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

And yet with a quick Google search it's possible to find a number of people with autism explaining why they do find the term offensive.

I agree with Drummond on this. I don't think it was meant with malice but is an outdated term which is unnecessary.  "It's been used lots of times on here for years" is also a poor defence of it. There are lots of examples of language which was fine in the past but not now.

Offline Risso

« Reply #659 on: March 07, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
We’re not talking about the 1970s!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal