collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2016: Transfer rumours and suggestions  (Read 861024 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Summer 2016: Transfer rumours and suggestions
« Reply #705 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:35 AM »
The point about assembling a credible and competent set of coaches strikes a chord for me.
We have been truly bad at the back for 5 seasons and no one has addressed this.
And our attacking invention, set-piece ingenuity and dogged determination to squeeze opponents out of the game have been non-existent.

This, along with a focus on the team as the unit for success (rather than the individuals), will take us where we want to go.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #706 on: May 03, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
for me our problems run much deeper than our players

what the fuck goes on at bodymoor heath all week?

gabby blatently overweight so what are the fitness coaches doing? add to that most of our players looking fucking every game, look at leicesters fitness levels they run their bollocks off every game and then do it again in the next

westwood being shit at corners but he takes them for 3 seasons

really basic stuff like bringing every player back to defend a corner giving us no out ball - that is under 11's stuff

none of our players seem to improve over time in fact they seem to regress

the whole of our backroom staff need to be fucked off before we can move forward

All of this is bang on.  We don't just need a new manager, we need a total, top to bottom clear out.  The mentality, the quality, the tactical awareness has all been dreadful for far too long.  This season it's been shown up in the starkest of ways, 16 points FFS.

Everyone from the academy up should be being scrutinised now.  They've all had a hand in this.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #707 on: May 03, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »
The scouting network need sorting too look at the players Leicester and Burnley have and the money spent etc.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #708 on: May 03, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
The scouting network need sorting too look at the players Leicester and Burnley have and the money spent etc.

great point

fuck me how hard would it be to have 2 or 3 scouts covering the top 7 english leagues?

really difficult obviously

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #709 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »
I put in the managers thread yesterday that hopefully "He who walks on water" has a major say on the new manager but also ensures the people he is bringing in to make up his team, this has been neglected for at least the last 6 years and the results are plain to see.

We will languish in the Championship if we do not address the glaring errors week after week that our defense commit, have a midfield that are trained to pass sideways, due to our main problem that again has not been addressed for at least 6 years movement on and off the ball.

A lot of our players we have not seen what they are capable off and as we have seen have regressed not progressed until this is put right I could not tell you who to keep or who to get rid off as we have not seen with proper coaching, tactical awareness and movement what they are capable off.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #710 on: May 03, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »
Whatever happens we have to get a coaching structure and a high calibre one in place. Leicester insisted on the coaching team Pearson put together being kept by a new manager there. I think we need to build something behind the scenes that can last longer than the manager. That then includes how we recruit players.

Offline peter w

« Reply #711 on: May 03, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
maybe keep an eye on Scott Hogan ( think is his name) of Brentford. Their 'big money' signing a couple of season's ago who then had two long knee injuries (one knee then the other). He's apparently quick and has played 93 minutes in his comeback and so far scored 5 times.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #712 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:46 AM »
maybe keep an eye on Scott Hogan ( think is his name) of Brentford. Their 'big money' signing a couple of season's ago who then had two long knee injuries (one knee then the other). He's apparently quick and has played 93 minutes in his comeback and so far scored 5 times.

This is correct.  I have a friend who is a Brentford fan and he told me about him last week.  Exactly how Peter has described him.  My friend also said he's one of those players whose goals are of the varied type: good'uns, some that go in off his arse, some that hit him and go in etc, etc.  A player like that we could do with.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #713 on: May 04, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
for me our problems run much deeper than our players

what the fuck goes on at bodymoor heath all week?

gabby blatently overweight so what are the fitness coaches doing? add to that most of our players looking fucking every game, look at leicesters fitness levels they run their bollocks off every game and then do it again in the next

westwood being shit at corners but he takes them for 3 seasons

really basic stuff like bringing every player back to defend a corner giving us no out ball - that is under 11's stuff

none of our players seem to improve over time in fact they seem to regress

the whole of our backroom staff need to be fucked off before we can move forward

Agreed.

A number of (if not most) clubs offer pretty substantial fines now for players returning for pre season training overweight. I'd assume they aren't much less forgiving throughout the season.

We made our bloater club captain.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #714 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
Agreed.

A number of (if not most) clubs offer pretty substantial fines now for players returning for pre season training overweight. I'd assume they aren't much less forgiving throughout the season.

What Wilkins said about speaking to Gabby about his lack of fitness staggered me.

Essentially:
"You need to get yourself in shape"
"I'll do it my way"
"Oh, okay."

As opposed to what he / Sherwood should have said "get your fat lazy arse in the gym now or you're transfer listed and fined". Just how much power did Gabby have at the club?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #715 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »
And just how weak must the structure of the club be for a complete gorm like Agbonlahor to have any power around the club whatsoever.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #716 on: May 04, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »
We could do worse than sign Rob Green in the summer. I think he'll be available on a free too by the sound of things (QPR not playing him because it would extend his contract). He sounds fired up to re-start his career too having been benched for months.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #717 on: May 04, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
He is a much better keeper than Guzan or Bunn I agree. If he was reasonable on wage, it would be an easy position sorted especially in the Championship and his experience would be useful.

Sidwell has done well at Brighton too. You need good, hard working players with 2-3 creative/ quality players to lift you out of that league. You don't need to spend 30 million or anything like that.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #718 on: May 04, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »
I think Knockart at Brighton would be a good shout if they don't go out, especially if we plan to give big Rudy some game time

also think the young lad up front for Walsall might be worth a punt, Bradshaw

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #719 on: May 04, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
Agreed.

What Wilkins said about speaking to Gabby about his lack of fitness staggered me.

Essentially:
"You need to get yourself in shape"
"I'll do it my way"
"Oh, okay."

As opposed to what he / Sherwood should have said "get your fat lazy arse in the gym now or you're transfer listed and fined". Just how much power did Gabby have at the club?

The alleged dispute between Gabby and Houllier/Garde's fitness coach also suggests that player power is way in excess of the coaches/manager's.  Thinking back, we appeared on the verge of mutiny through-out Houllier's tenure and almost certainly were during Garde's time.  It was only under Sherwood (his methodology is adequately described by Wilkins' shrug above) and Lambert seemingly going through the motions that there was any peace within the camp.

The new manager will have to be a huge personality and have a massive amount of willpower to change the club with current set of players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal