collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lee Hendrie On The Magic Sponge Podcast.  (Read 15571 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Lee Hendrie On The Magic Sponge Podcast.
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 11:11:08 PM »
Petulant little shit with terrible attitude. Couldn't stand him, still can't. The fact he is often rolled out to the faithful as a Villa Park Legend infuriates me no end.

That's a bit OTT, he was never that bad. I thought he was a decent player. Could and should have done better in his career, but didn't he play over 300 league games for Villa? Not a bad record I must say.

You must be well impressed with Ashley Westwood and his 120 or so, then.

*wink*

Yeah you got me there!
Westwood isn't fit to lace Hendrie's boots as a player though, there's the difference.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:32 AM »
I've tried but I can't listen to that shit.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2016, 12:46:20 AM »
I've always thought Bullard is a tool, so no chance i'll listen to it. This from a couple of days ago in The Guardian just added to what I think of him.

The former Hull City midfielder Jimmy Bullard says the club “changed his life” by paying him up to an extra £15,000 a week by mistake.

Bullard joined Hull on a four-and-a-half year deal from Fulham for a £5m in January 2009 when both teams were in the Premier League.

Bullard was quoted in British newspapers on Friday recalling that when the time came to sign his contract he found he would be paid £55,000 a week, rather than the £40,000 agreed.

“I saw on the paperwork it said £50,00 so I’ve passed it under the table to my agent and my agent’s gone: ‘Yeah, that’s a misprint, sign it,’” the 37-year-old said.

“As I signed it I blew it [the ink] dry and then I read under it as well, another £5,000 or £6,000 in appearance [money]. I’m celebrating to this day. Thank you Hull City for changing my life. I’m dropping cash everywhere, I’m bleeding cash.”

The club was not immediately available to comment. Bullard made a total of 289 league appearances in a 13-year career that also featured spells with West Ham United, Ipswich Town, Wigan Athletic, Peterborough United and Milton Keynes Dons.

He played 18 league games for Hull, who are top of the Championship and hoping to win promotion back to the Premier League this season, before joining Ipswich in August 2011.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2016, 02:50:12 AM »
He just comes across as a a wanker of the highest order and that just adds to that theory. One of those people who is unmanageable and got away with it for most of his career at smaller clubs simply down to his talent. But I can imagine that it stopped him getting bigger moves that his ability alone at its peak probably warranted.

Offline supertom

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2016, 05:31:19 PM »
I lost interest when he started joking (along with Bullard et al) about drink driving. Tosser.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »
Fairly horrible listen and yeah, as someone who defended him more than most, Hendrie comes across as bad as his detractors always say. As for that being the reason for him not playing again under Graham Taylor, didn't he also tell GT that he was ''too tired'' to be selected for the team?

Rich, not terribly intelligent lads in their 20's you could expect it almost, the fact that they're approaching 40 and sniggering about it, in the name of "podcast footy bantz!" is a bit much.

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »
As for that being the reason for him not playing again under Graham Taylor, didn't he also tell GT that he was ''too tired'' to be selected for the team?
Yes, it was for a game at Man United if I remember correctly. Sir Graham supposedly told him he should never give up his own place in the team.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2016, 08:50:20 PM »
Petulant little shit with terrible attitude. Couldn't stand him, still can't. The fact he is often rolled out to the faithful as a Villa Park Legend infuriates me no end.

That's a bit OTT, he was never that bad. I thought he was a decent player. Could and should have done better in his career, but didn't he play over 300 league games for Villa? Not a bad record I must say.

I agree with Leighton. I met Hendrie a couple of times in bars up town in the 90s as the bird I was with at the time knew him, and he came across as a right bellend.

I also happened to be close enough to the front row during that pre season friendly at Walsall to witness him telling our fans to suck his cock whilst grabbing his nether regions. I don't forget things like that.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2016, 08:03:34 AM »
What an awful podcast.

Offline villabear

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »

I agree with Leighton. I met Hendrie a couple of times in bars up town in the 90s as the bird I was with at the time knew him, and he came across as a right bellend.

I also happened to be close enough to the front row during that pre season friendly at Walsall to witness him telling our fans to suck his cock whilst grabbing his nether regions. I don't forget things like that.

You'll have the mods crying 'fowl' if you call the ladies that again.

Offline thegreatdane

• Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg paid more than
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »
He just comes across as a a wanker of the highest order and that just adds to that theory. One of those people who is unmanageable and got away with it for most of his career at smaller clubs simply down to his talent. But I can imagine that it stopped him getting bigger moves that his ability alone at its peak probably warranted.

1 England cap?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »

1 England cap?

He means Brylcream Bullard.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »
Hendrie had good spells of form (remember that 6 game period one season when he scored 3-4 goals from 30 yards all in one month?) But they were good spells of form rather than good seasons of form (and usually around contract renewal time).

He was also a player who'd have thrived more in a 4-2-3-1 than the 4-4-2 around when he was at his peak. I always thought he was too lightweight to play centrally in a two, he'd have done well in the role someone like Kevin Nolan played, just off the main forward and coming onto second balls.

I always compare Hendrie to Barry really as both broke through within a year of each other into the villa team.

One is still playing regularly in the premier league at 35 and only stopped getting called up for England two years ago. Hendrie had 1 England cup and last played a premier league game at 29.

Not like one is a clogger and one is technically brilliant either as Hendrie was as good on the ball as Barry I think, it's not exactly Messi and Gestede difference if there was one.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
I call bullshit as having double checked, we never played QPR while SGTII was manager and in 02/03 (the full season under SGTII) Hendrie played in 27 league games.

Can only assume he meant Fulham as they played at Loftus Road for two seasons while Craven Cottage got rebuilt around that time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal