collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Redundancies at VP?  (Read 25123 times)

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Redundancies at VP?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
Well I hope the current holder of the Club Archives is not included in the cost cutting. She has only been in situ a couple of months.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me. It's so unfair though, one shit player like N'Zogbia probably earns the same as 100 admin staff.

Nzogbia's weekly wage would probably pay the annual salary for 3 employees. And pretty much all of the staff I've ever encountered at Villa Park have always shown more commitment to the Villa and our supporters than he's ever fucking done. Not just singling him out either, if the players had an ounce of conscience, they'd be doing something to help.

This is probably irrelevant.  With someone like Hollis coming in the first thing he'll have done is review the company structure charts and work out who fits where, if in that process he found departments that were overstaffed or roles that were unneeded he'll recommend redundancies, that's pretty much standard for any mid to large company, especially one that has seen the number of changes that we have it's pretty easy to end up with a couple of staff who turn up every day, make tea, keep the kitchen and office tidy but don't actually do much real work.  All the players offering to have a 10% wage cut wouldn't mean we'd suddenly think it was ok to employ people who have no work to do or are doing a job that should be covered by someone else.

As I said above, I doubt it will be matchday staff because I'm fairly sure a big chunk of those are agency staff so a reduction in requirement would be absorbed by the agency.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me. It's so unfair though, one shit player like N'Zogbia probably earns the same as 100 admin staff.

Nzogbia's weekly wage would probably pay the annual salary for 3 employees. And pretty much all of the staff I've ever encountered at Villa Park have always shown more commitment to the Villa and our supporters than he's ever fucking done. Not just singling him out either, if the players had an ounce of conscience, they'd be doing something to help.

This is probably irrelevant.  With someone like Hollis coming in the first thing he'll have done is review the company structure charts and work out who fits where, if in that process he found departments that were overstaffed or roles that were unneeded he'll recommend redundancies, that's pretty much standard for any mid to large company, especially one that has seen the number of changes that we have it's pretty easy to end up with a couple of staff who turn up every day, make tea, keep the kitchen and office tidy but don't actually do much real work.  All the players offering to have a 10% wage cut wouldn't mean we'd suddenly think it was ok to employ people who have no work to do or are doing a job that should be covered by someone else.

As I said above, I doubt it will be matchday staff because I'm fairly sure a big chunk of those are agency staff so a reduction in requirement would be absorbed by the agency.

I know what I said is irrelevant but I think it perfectly sums up the difference between those who don't care as much but who earn stupid money ( and are the cause of why we are where we are) and some people who could lose their jobs who really do care about the club and its fans.

What sums up the gulf even better though is Lescott and Guzan kicking chewing gum, hooning around and earning thousands while a couple of thousand Villa fans are watching us get pulled all over the pitch by Wycombe.

I think more of the good staff at Villa Park than any of the players

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »
You have to ask, what staff can they do without?

Relegated or not we will still need match day staff, unless they are thinking that attendances will drop to the point that we will not need a large number of staff?

On the corporate side, matchday hospitality, the sky lounge

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
I can't help but suspect wages are another area where Randy has pulled off the feat of being wrong in completely opposite ways. We have paid astronomical wages to rubbish players and managers and now we're penny pinching with salaries that are infinitesimal in the scheme on things.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »
I can't help but suspect wages are another area where Randy has pulled off the feat of being wrong in completely opposite ways. We have paid astronomical wages to rubbish players and managers and now we're penny pinching with salaries that are infinitesimal in the scheme on things.

We were just working out that Charlie's weekly wage would cover the average annual salary of 2 staff - over 100 a people a year!

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
They're probably all being told that instead of picking up wages they'll each get £1,500's worth a free tickets a game next season.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »

We were just working out that Charlie's weekly wage would cover the average annual salary of 2 staff - over 100 a people a year!

More than that mate if he is on 65k a week I would imagine you could double that to 200, a lot of staff such as security and kitchen staff aint going to be on a lot more than 15k a year

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »
So it begins.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:34 AM »
it's pretty easy to end up with a couple of staff who turn up every day, make tea, keep the kitchen and office tidy but don't actually do much real work

*startled look*

*hastily flicks excel spreadsheet to front of screen*

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
it's pretty easy to end up with a couple of staff who turn up every day, make tea, keep the kitchen and office tidy but don't actually do much real work

*startled look*

*hastily flicks excel spreadsheet to front of screen*

Get a job working from home where you pick your own hours, it saves that panic... :P

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »
Do you know how hard it is to find someone who makes a great cuppa?

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »
We aren't allowed to say  as***t str**ping, are we?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 11:54:04 AM »
Edit: bugger my post didn't work.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 11:57:07 AM »
There was the story when Sunderland made a load of staff redundant including canteen staff at their training ground and Michael Gray pulled onto the car park in the brand new Porsche he had just taken delivery of. I believe he wasn't very popular.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal