collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 10:45:12 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by OCD
[Today at 10:40:29 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 10:40:09 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The underlying problem...  (Read 25712 times)

Offline CT Villan

The underlying problem...
« on: September 26, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »
I was going to post this in the 'get rid' thread, but thought it deserved its own platform...

We have been suffering for so long with many different sets of players, coaches, managers and CEO's. There seems to be a bigger issue here that I can neither identify or solve...

Houllier, McLeish, Lambert and now Sherwood all struggling in the Villa job - they can't all be crap...but for the life of me, I don't know what it is that is constantly holding us back, the easy answer is Lerner, but I don't see that as the root cause. Even if we got Mourinho or Ancelotti would they suffer the same fate too ? Is it the lack of a winning mentality or the club ethos ? Is it the fan's weight of expectation ?

Who knows...any ideas ?

Online KRS

Re: The underlying problem...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »
Employing shit managers is probably a good place to start looking.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
Martin O Neill and Randy Lerner's ex-wife? I hope they're very happy together.

Offline LTA

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 07:29:06 PM »
Houllier was a good manager once, but past his best when he rocked up at Villa Park.  In fairness he had us playing some good football, but his health history was always a risk.

McLeish was a professional relegator who should never got a look in for the Villa job.  That's without even considering the identity of his previous employers.

Lambert was a chancer who had one good season at Norwich when he took people by surprise.  He then spent 3 years peddling a string of half truths and boring football.

Sherwood is starting to resemble an English version of Lambert.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
Randy Lerner.

Paulie has been banging on about it for yonks but he's right....ultimatedly the leadership, ambition and direction comes from the very top. It's the same at Newcastle and Sunderland.

You can change managers as many times as you like and spend god knows what but if there's not a sensible strategy like you get at Swansea and Southampton you're swimming against the tide attempting to win games regularly.

We need new owners. Fresh ambition, direction etc.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
I said it years ago when Lerner bailed out. The whole culture Of the club is of ?? No direction, ambition, hope, confidence . How Lerner had the audacity to rock up at wembley after years MIA is a piss take.

The ultimate issue is Randy Lerner.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 07:55:02 PM »
Lerner is the issue. Not been to game this season I believe? Disinterested bored billionaire. You need a proper leader to be at least enthusiastic. Until he's gone, the club won't progress. Useless, that's him!!

Online KRS

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure the players aren't thinking about the owner during training or on match days. The problem is management and coaching of the players. It really is that simple.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 08:16:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure the players aren't thinking about the owner during training or on match days. The problem is management and coaching of the players. It really is that simple.
That's simply not true. Their is no leadership from the top.
Even sherwood is free to come out with lame targets as he did today with no repercussions .
Imagine if wenger said this season is all about staying top 8 !!??

Club is a rudderless shambles

Online KRS

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 08:24:18 PM »
So your blaming Lerner for the shite that TS comes out with in post game interviews?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
The lack of leadership from the top is not the only problem, though, it is just one of them.

Houllier - I thought - was an understandable appointment. McLeish was so mental I can still barely believe we ever appointed him. Lambert was sensible at the time, but we left him in place for way, way too long.

Sherwood was a nuts appointment from the start. This is someone who had a career of four months in charge at spurs - where he was given a 1.5 year contract, incidentally, and where he managed to annoy the shit out of everyone associated with the club.

I do think, though, that when you look at the likes of us, Newcastle, Sunderland, and how spending money or changing manager changes very little, certainly not for the positive, it is hard not to conclude that there is a bigger, more permanent problem at the club which is causing the real problems.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
the underlying problem is
a settled,happy ship
and MONEY

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 08:40:57 PM »
I heard Sherwood earlier on talk sport he said something along the lines of we wanted to bring in Kids and sometimes with kids you get these kind of results, now him, Lambert, Mcshit have all said similar and I'm wondering if Randy is obsessed with the "Ajax" model and insists on young hungry kids so he can sell them for profit?

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 08:42:45 PM »
Even Tom Fox is part of the problem . What's his motivation ? He's not a football man, he's a a marketing man who has marketed himself into a great pay cheque.

The club needs to restore some of its core values as a great football club and we need some continuity and link with the past to try and see that through.

The club had lost its way in short.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 08:50:54 PM »
is doug not at a bit of a loose end silhill?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal