collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 386362 times)

Offline nigel

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3690 on: December 06, 2022, 08:43:49 PM »
and breathe...

No to Borthwick , I don't think he's ready. I can't think of anyone in the premiership I'd go with but Steve Diamond would be a good option through to the world cup and then look at the options afterwards (at which point people like Borthwick and Lam become more reasonable choices as they have 4 years to grow and build).

Someone has mentioned O’Gara, which would be interesting.
I think he’s using that Conor O’Shea is high up at the RFU (is he still there?)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3691 on: December 06, 2022, 09:03:07 PM »
and breathe...

No to Borthwick , I don't think he's ready. I can't think of anyone in the premiership I'd go with but Steve Diamond would be a good option through to the world cup and then look at the options afterwards (at which point people like Borthwick and Lam become more reasonable choices as they have 4 years to grow and build).

Someone has mentioned O’Gara, which would be interesting.
I think he’s using that Conor O’Shea is high up at the RFU (is he still there?)

OGara keeps getting in trouble in France, so he might have had enough of the RFU (equivalent) there; not to mention the massive pay rise. 

I cannot think of many obvious candidates so its a reasonable shout.

Offline Scovilla

« Reply #3692 on: December 06, 2022, 09:40:12 PM »
O' Gara has signed a new contract with La Rochelle until 2027 according to l'équipe..

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #3693 on: December 06, 2022, 09:51:43 PM »
and breathe...

No to Diamond on 2 counts - (1) There's no chance that the RFU would appoint him for the same reasons the FA did not appoint Clough back in the day and (2) As a Sale fan, his game plan is so 1 dimensional, you only need to look at their improvement under Alex Sanderson and the way in which he has integrated ex academy players into the team and squad. There's also unanswered questions regarding Diamond's abrupt departure from Sale.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #3694 on: December 07, 2022, 01:36:18 AM »
Should get Scott 'Razor' Robertson. Best club coach there is.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3695 on: December 07, 2022, 07:55:04 AM »
and breathe...

No to Diamond on 2 counts - (1) There's no chance that the RFU would appoint him for the same reasons the FA did not appoint Clough back in the day and (2) As a Sale fan, his game plan is so 1 dimensional, you only need to look at their improvement under Alex Sanderson and the way in which he has integrated ex academy players into the team and squad. There's also unanswered questions regarding Diamond's abrupt departure from Sale.

I agree that Diamond doesn't play particularly good rugby but with less than a year to form a squad and drill them on how to play I think you need a big character with experience of rebuilding a squad. Rob Baxter would be the other one I'd be looking at, for the same reasons.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3696 on: December 07, 2022, 07:58:34 AM »
It’s going to be Borthwick.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3697 on: December 07, 2022, 08:20:06 AM »
and breathe...

I agree that Diamond doesn't play particularly good rugby but with less than a year to form a squad and drill them on how to play I think you need a big character with experience of rebuilding a squad. Rob Baxter would be the other one I'd be looking at, for the same reasons.

Given Diamond and Baxter would be short term solutions, who would be your long term choice, Paul?
Borthwick is certainly held in high regard by many in the game and, at 43, fits the bill.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3698 on: December 07, 2022, 08:25:28 AM »
O' Gara has signed a new contract with La Rochelle until 2027 according to l'équipe..

Yes, just read that.
In the bbc report, he said England had contacted him, so he’s certainly on the radar

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3699 on: December 07, 2022, 09:00:26 AM »
and breathe...

Given Diamond and Baxter would be short term solutions, who would be your long term choice, Paul?
Borthwick is certainly held in high regard by many in the game and, at 43, fits the bill.

Borthwick and Lam are the 2 I'd be looking at but both of them are in a similar situation of having created a very strong 'first' team then seen some key players leave and struggled a bit with getting their 'second' team up to the same level. I think it neds to be someone used to the English game though because the league is in a really good place right now and it'd be a shame to not take advantage of that. Regardless of who gets it I both hope and dread that they create a space for Sam Vesty in the coaching setup because Saints are an incredible attacking team let down by a mess of a front row and all the good running lines and clever plays are on him.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3700 on: December 07, 2022, 09:14:20 AM »

Yes, just read that.
In the bbc report, he said England had contacted him, so he’s certainly on the radar

I'd take O'Gara but he's another that would be an 'after the world cup not before' appointment in my opinion.

I just think the world cup cycle being how it is means that the best approach is to have 2 years experimenting and blooding young players (and retiring off the older ones) and then 2 years building to the world cup. If that cycle gets broken by a manager leaving/being sacked then personally I think the Brian Ashton style short term option is a better way of galvansing the squad for the tournament. Once it's out of the way you can bring a new man in and it's a lot easier for him to mix things up without the pressure of the world cup right in front of him.

It’s going to be Borthwick.

I'm pretty sure you're right, I just think it's the wrong time for him but we'll see.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3701 on: December 19, 2022, 02:28:35 PM »
Borthwick it is

Offline nigel

« Reply #3702 on: December 19, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »
Borthwick it is

With Sinfield as defensive coach.
Don’t know much about him apart from he’s from League.
If he’s half as good as Sean Edwards I’ll be happy

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3703 on: December 19, 2022, 05:14:56 PM »
Borthwick it is

By all accounts Sinfield was key to them winning the title last year.

I don';t mind Borthwick but I do worry that the timing of this means he has about a month to sort out the coaching setup and pick a 6nations squad before 3 summer matches ahead of the world cup. 8 games isn't a lot of time for him to try much out so I think he'll have no choice but to go with pretty much the same unbalanced squad that Jones kept going to but with maybe 1-2 changes.

Aside from that I'm not a fan of taking someone from a league club mid-season because of the inevitable temptation to show loyalty to 'your' players and flood the squad from your old club. Given how Tigers and Sarries heavy the squad is anyway I don't really want to see 3-4 more tigers in there.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3704 on: December 19, 2022, 07:31:29 PM »
Borthwick it is

By all accounts Sinfield was key to them winning the title last year.

I don';t mind Borthwick but I do worry that the timing of this means he has about a month to sort out the coaching setup and pick a 6nations squad before 3 summer matches ahead of the world cup. 8 games isn't a lot of time for him to try much out so I think he'll have no choice but to go with pretty much the same unbalanced squad that Jones kept going to but with maybe 1-2 changes.

Aside from that I'm not a fan of taking someone from a league club mid-season because of the inevitable temptation to show loyalty to 'your' players and flood the squad from your old club. Given how Tigers and Sarries heavy the squad is anyway I don't really want to see 3-4 more tigers in there.

I’d heard he was bringing the coaching staff from Leicester, so that side might be pretty much sorted

I think a good starting point would be to select players in their natural position.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal