collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football fans and the refugee crisis  (Read 21453 times)

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

Re: Football fans and the refugee crisis
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
I don't see this as a political issue. This is an urgent humanitarian issue, and if some individuals at an event with a huge worldwide TV audience can help get this message across, then it's a positive course of action. These people need help now.

Precisely.

It isn't political, it is about human decency.

Human decency should override any political considerations given the seriousness of these people's plight, of course. That being said, the link between our own government's actions in the middle east and the numbers of refugees is one almost totally missing from press coverage, which really ought to place additional responsibility on us to help as much as we can.

In fairness, it's far from just our government, it is the entire western world which seems to only make things worse every time it engages with that part of the world.

You're right, it's not just us. But a lot of it is. We have a massive responsibility. Why aren't any of the papers making this point?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »
This country had a reputation for centuries for doing the right thing.

I'd like it to come back, but the response of the political class - not just the government, NB - so far has been embarrassing. Paralysed with fear.

Yes, in Ireland we have marvelled for centuries at the UK's ability to do the right thing. Its actions in the period leading up to and during the Great Famine were particulalrly well guided.  If only we had an enlightened political class like that nowadays I'm sure everything would be just dandy.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
Will the banners be written on the back of Je suis Charlie ones left over from earlier in the year?

The humanitarian crisis of Syrian refugees (and the exploitation of economic migrants from across the Middle East and Africa) needs to be dealt with immediately, but banners at football grounds simply smacks of bandwagon-jumping, not least because the grounds themselves unfortunately remain repositories for significant numbers of our fellow citizens who would make those in desperate need of refuge anything but welcome.

This is precisely why it it important to show our solidarity...we are all lumped together with the knuckledraggers by the general public. This will show them that football fans are full of compassion as well as beer

Wholeheartedly. Agree support must be shown and football in prem league is a global platform I like compassion and solidarity shown

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:21 PM »
Stated in off-topic but I'll say here again. The anti-Brigada posters on the H&V facebook post of that guardian link really bug me.

Shouting off about Celtic, the IRA and our veterans being more important than anyone from outside the country.

Kids are fucking drowning in the sea as families escape war zones, and people are so ignorant.

Anyone who links this to the IRA have an agenda that really isn't worth delving into.

Linking Brigada to the IRA, not this incident.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2015, 10:53:17 PM »
Stated in off-topic but I'll say here again. The anti-Brigada posters on the H&V facebook post of that guardian link really bug me.

Shouting off about Celtic, the IRA and our veterans being more important than anyone from outside the country.

Kids are fucking drowning in the sea as families escape war zones, and people are so ignorant.

Anyone who links this to the IRA have an agenda that really isn't worth delving into.

Linking Brigada to the IRA, not this incident.

That's what I mean.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2015, 10:57:19 PM »

I'd like it to come back, but the response of the political class - not just the government, NB - so far has been embarrassing. Paralysed with fear.

Yes, in Ireland we have marvelled for centuries at the UK's ability to do the right thing. Its actions in the period leading up to and during the Great Famine were particulalrly well guided.  If only we had an enlightened political class like that nowadays I'm sure everything would be just dandy.

That'd be a fair point if i had claimed that the UK had a faultless history.

Unfortunately, I didn't, so it's not hugely relevant. The fact of the matter is we used to be relied upon to put ourselves on the right side of things. Currently, we're not, we're being insular and pretending things aren't happening.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:00:22 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
I don't see this as a political issue. This is an urgent humanitarian issue, and if some individuals at an event with a huge worldwide TV audience can help get this message across, then it's a positive course of action. These people need help now.

Precisely.

It isn't political, it is about human decency.

Human decency should override any political considerations given the seriousness of these people's plight, of course. That being said, the link between our own government's actions in the middle east and the numbers of refugees is one almost totally missing from press coverage, which really ought to place additional responsibility on us to help as much as we can.

In fairness, it's far from just our government, it is the entire western world which seems to only make things worse every time it engages with that part of the world.

You're right, it's not just us. But a lot of it is. We have a massive responsibility. Why aren't any of the papers making this point?

Because they're too busy (the tabloids) appealing to the lowest, most base instinct.

Like The Sun, which thinks it is ok to publish articles from Katie Hopkins saying how she'd like to machine gun immigrants and doesn't give a shit about them drowning.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »
Katie Hopkins and The Scum. Those two pieces of shit were made for each other.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2015, 11:22:36 PM »

Unfortunately, I didn't, so it's not hugely relevant. The fact of the matter is we used to be relied upon to put ourselves on the right side of things. Currently, we're not, we're being insular and pretending things aren't happening.

When there was a massive humanitarian crisis on its doorstep in the 1840s (far greater than today's with millions of deaths) the UK not only didn't do the right thing but its actions helped exacerbate the suituatuon. So to claim the UK had a reputation for centuries for doing the right thing is palpable nonsense rather than the "fact of the matter".   

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
Governments are the problem not the people, if the suburb i live in was asked to support twenty families of Syrian refugees i have no doubt that they would be welcomed with open arms, replicate that across developed countries and that would go a long way to solving the problem. With the prime minister we have there is no chance of this happening. Save the children.

Australia is a great example of how governments are often the problem.

Which is somewhat ironic considering that most of the population either comprises, or is descended from, economic migrants (or criminals)

Offline bruisedshins

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »
This is something that members of Brigada and fans not involved with the group have both suggested doing, it was suggested before we saw the Refugees Welcome campaign so we're not jumping on a bandwagon and we're not doing it for "likes" slaps on the back or any other form of gratitude. If you read the Heroes and Villains Facebook account you'll see that this isn't something that some of our supporters are happy with so it's not a way of making friends.

We are also fully aware that there are many people already in this country need help and I think it's a spurious conecpt that we either help one group of people or another, just because you help one section of society it doesn't stop you from helping another. I've also seen comments along the lines of "don't bring politics into football", but when  thousands of people are drowning trying to flee a war then why should football fans ignore it? It's a human tragedy not an election campaign.

This isn't just a symbolic gesture, we are setting up a crowdfunding page for 2 refugee charities, one of which is based in Birmingham and we will be donating ourselves.

As others have said this campaign has made me proud to be a football fan again, so often fans are tarnished in the press, steroeyped as racists, morons, drunks, at games we're treated like criminals, hopefully this will not only help refugees but also show football fans in a light that is more representative that the crap you see in the press.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 11:29:02 PM »
The ordinary British people have always done the right thing. The government and ruling classes  of this country have always done the wrong thing!

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 11:29:59 PM »
I have a spare room, used by language assistants for various schools over the years.
It is at the service of the refugees whenever they arrive, and welcome.
You are an angel Lou...world needs more people like you.
Goodness no, Aftab, just a Villa fan!
You would do the same thing.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 11:35:45 PM »
Yes I would and we are Villa fans.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »

When there was a massive humanitarian crisis on its doorstep in the 1840s (far greater than today's with millions of deaths) the UK not only didn't do the right thing but its actions helped exacerbate the suituatuon. So to claim the UK had a reputation for centuries for doing the right thing is palpable nonsense rather than the "fact of the matter".   

Palpable nonsense because you've flagged up something from 170 years ago?

And once again, I am not suggesting we are without fault - no country is - but we have more often than not done the right thing for a long, long time, which makes the current inaction all the more disappointing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal